PDA

View Full Version : Amador 11-09-05

YakMotor
11-09-2005, 11:44 PM
With four nice trout fillets chilling in the fridge I'm a happy game fisher. Battling the two brutes (they are MUCH bigger than they look in the pic!) was a memorable test of the drag on my new, no longer virgin, Adventure 7 G.Loomis fly reel. Both fish were caught slow (1mph) boat trolling a constantly twitched wooly bugger (one brown & one black) about 60' back on fast sink-tip line.

Bruce, my neighbor and guide, who caught 3 yesterday on small spoons didn't even get a solid hit today. I lost two from broken knots. One at the surgeon knot joining my 6lb leader to heavier mono and the other on my trolling rod at the #6 Owner hook threaded with a mini-crawler tied 18" behind a small Sep's dodger. I need to go back to knot school! My third lost hook-up came after a strong hit on the bugger (I KNOW it was a fish Bruce!) and drag screaming run after which I continued feeling pressure but eventually only pumped-in a stout 14" waterlogged snag!

It was a pleasant day on the lake with just a light variable breeze. The early morning trolling fleet (I counted 18 boats) by the dam and fishing dock thinned in the afternoon and was replaced by float tubers. While we spent most of our day avoiding the crowd when we were in sight of 'em we saw very little action. At the ramp only a few folks had fish on stringers. My opinion, it was a real slow day.

Oh, things that didn't work on my trolling rod were a small orange flatfish and jointed J-7 Rapala.

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/6543/amadortriprecord1109057tf.jpg

Reel_burner
11-10-2005, 02:20 AM
Now that's what I call a full report (maps and all)! Nice job Yak...

AllFishNoWork
11-10-2005, 04:38 AM
Great report, love the map!

Finesse
11-10-2005, 10:19 AM
you look very very familar, i know we have met somewhere. maybe Amador, maybe not, but im sure we have met.nice report ya got there, sounds like a nice relaxing trip.

Sean

Troutcoach
11-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Yak-

I use to have the same problem with some of my knots as well. Then a friend told me about a trick he learned from some pro. Put a little drop of superglue on your knot and that sucker will not come undone. I've tried it and it works great!!

TC

firetrout
11-10-2005, 12:14 PM
YakMotor,
That is the best graphic report ever on these boards. Sorry you had a tough time with those knots. "It's not how you fish, but the knots you fish with" :D

Trout_Terminator
11-10-2005, 05:52 PM
.those fish if you look at yak's forarm (im guessing about 1.5'?) they are bigger than it. so thats how you know if its a big fish ;)

YakMotor
11-11-2005, 01:39 AM
Sheeesh ... put superglue in my tackle box on a rockin rollin boat and you'd probably find my fingers glued to nightcrawlers, reel crank, and surely themselves! A good thought though! I'll give it a try with glue safer for me ... quick drying fly tier's head cement.

The batteries in Bruce's electronic scale had faded so I don't have accurate weight of the cutbows. Best guess would put each over 2lbs. They are the biggest trout I've ever caught.

The map graphic was made by overlaying two sources. MapSend Topo was purchased recently with the Magellan GPS. The green line was how that software displays the captured track. Street Atlas 2005, with the black track line, was the other map software image I overlayed using Photoshop. I was curious how the tracks and map representations would line-up. Although resizing and alignment isn't perfect it looks like both programs use the same data source and track overlay method. One of my favorite uses for GPS is recording where adventures take me.

I'd probably catch more fish if I wan't playing with electronic gizmos. I figure, tho, my catch rate will go up after I study a spot. At Silver Lake I was using my digital camera's audio record feature to collect and combine info from the GPS and fish finder. As I found a drop off I'd mark a waypoint and then voice record the depth and the direction (in or out) of the hole. On the computer I'm plotting the location of the holes and ledges so I can then program the GPS with waypoints and routes that would help put my lures over structure most likely to hold fish.

This is the record of my first trip to Silver Lake. When I found a hole holding fish I circled and criss-crossed it. Wonder if there would be any interest in my detailed maps and waypoint logs?

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/728/silverlakegpsmapnotes8zh.jpg

freon
11-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Yakmotor, great report and pics, they were great, better get your knot tying down real good though, cuz the two you got are nearly bait size for that lake, there are a lot of them over six and seven that come out on a regular basis.
Freon

Durb
11-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Awesome report and maps YakMotor. My knots have been getting a little more challenging since my eyes turned 40. I guess I will need to bring my reading glasses. You look familar to me also. Must have seen you on the water somewhere.

Good Luck Durb