PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid temps

Mako
10-25-2005, 10:38 AM
So, does anyone know the recent surface temps ? with the cold front comming in it could cool down this week. Also, how is the bite up around Hells Kitchen? anyone tried lately

drstressor
10-25-2005, 10:50 AM
I fished Eagle last weekend so I don't have any temperature information. It was in the low 60's the week before.

The entire east side of the lake has been dead for the last couple of weeks. I've never seen that happen before in the fall. The east side is usually hot until at least mid December. But there is no bait over there and accordingly no trout.

Mako
10-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Doesn't really make any sense. Is it that no one has spent enough time there with the right presentation (lures). There has to be fish there. I've fished there with no hits for a few hours then Bam !! I guess I will have to scout it.

drstressor
10-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Trust me. Lots of us have tried all of the usual stuff. But you never can tell. Looking forward to your report.

cheesehead
10-25-2005, 11:18 AM
I have several trips to the East side this year and the results for me are similar to what doc has stated.

I didn't even mark the 'normal' amount, I did however mark fish on the bottom in very deep water, I don't know if there's anything to that or not....(Dammit Jim, I'm not a doctor ya know.)

I went last night (west side) and surface temp on my Matrix was 60 degrees.

BigB
10-25-2005, 04:53 PM
You went fishing last night and you did not invite me?

Brian

cheesehead
10-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Sorry Osifer, I took my boys last minute. thats the nice thing about being so close.

BigB
10-25-2005, 05:08 PM
As long as you took your boys, all is forgiven.

Brian

Mickey_Thomas
10-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Cheese is sneak fishing without BigB, what is this world coming to? :P ::)

BigB
10-25-2005, 08:13 PM
Mickey,

There was no sneaking around, he just took his boys fishing. After all, he is only 22 minutes from the boat ramp.

Brian

striperstalker
10-25-2005, 09:54 PM
I fished Pyramid on 10-18,19,20. Had about 25 fish on monday on the west side north of pelican pt.lots of bait. Had 31 fish on wensday,started on the west side until he wind died down then headed to the east side and did good,all slot fish no undersize the first two days.Thursday we fised the west side and for 22 fish and almost all were undersized. Water temp was about 60 deg.It was in the 70's all three days.I talked to alot of people and most caught one or two and alot blanked out.It was not wide open , we fished hard and threweverything at them. all in all a good trip. 8) 8)

Just_A_Hooker
10-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Sunday the 31st the water was about 58 degrees. We started @ 7 and fished till 2:30 and picked up only 4 fish all on the west side. We were running the down riggers and probably should have been running with banana weights. I talked to one olí boy at the boat ramp and he said he caught 18 and thatís without using his down rigger. Not sure where he was at, he was in a hurry. Iím new to this whole fisher deal so go easy. Good luck.

drstressor
10-31-2005, 02:32 PM
On Friday there were plenty of fish stacked up off the points on the west side over deeper water.The surface temp was 59 degrees. While the fish were spread out from top to bottom, only the ones near the surface would bite readily. That is actually pretty typical for this time of year. We caught them with unweighted plugs top lined and on spoons run at 12-14 ft on the down riggers.

Once the surface temperature hits 54 degrees they will start feeding in the shallow bays and that's when you will begin to catch the big ones. *

mighty_bite
10-31-2005, 08:41 PM
Come on 54 :P :P ;D

jpayne
11-01-2005, 07:58 AM
A friend of mine caught a 27" right near the pyramid flyfishing a couple of weeks ago.

cheesehead
11-01-2005, 09:41 AM
I think Doc is talking about the Hogs.

The slot fish are usually all over and 'easier' to catch.

Fly/ladder guys do really well when the water cools off to 54 off the beaches. In fact, most of them don't even fish until then.

fishdude76
11-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Yes, please let us know when that is. ;)

cheesehead
11-01-2005, 10:35 AM
will do.

SuperDave
11-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Doc, is fishing the shallow bays achieveable with extreme long lines or do you need side planers?

drstressor
11-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Once the cutts reach a size of about 26" or more, they change their habits and stop feeding on suspended chubs. They hang close to the bottom and like to ambush their prey. They are really hard to locate until the water cools off and they move in close to shore. Some larger fish are caught throughout the season, but most of the big fish are caught from November through early May. They like to lay in wait for their prey along the sides of points, the breaks along the shoreline, and close to ledges in the rocky areas like Hell's Kitchen. Since the smaller fish (keepers and slot fish) are more abundant and tend to aggregate where ever bait is abundant, most people end up targeting them. But if you watch the tin boat navy, you will see guys trolling the shallow bays. These are the folks (along with shore fisherman) who catch most of the hogs each year. The specific lures are actually less important than where and how you fish if you decide to go after the big ones. Some people use large plugs in rainbow, brown trout, or frog pattern. But most of the big ones are taken with Apexes, spoons, and flatfish in the 4-6" range. Of course woolly buggers fished close to the bottom from shore also bag a disproportionate number of big fish, generally in the late afternoon during the winter when the shallow water is the warmest and the chubs and insects become active close to shore.

fishdude76
11-04-2005, 02:58 PM
How is it fellas? Hoping it drops enough to get out there with the fly rod on 11/11. Its been windy this week so if anyone goes out this weekend be safe.

FD76

Mickey_Thomas
11-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Hopefully Hammer and I and GoneFishin will make it up there on the 8th and 9th. Supposed to rain Monday but Tues and Weds are looking good. That is if you can believe the weather forcasters ??? ??? Anybody else going those days? Can you say "mini-fest"? :D

hoghunter3
11-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Mickey, I'm keeping an eye on the wind forecast and if it looks good we'll probably run up on Monday afternoon and fish on Tuesday and Wendnesday. Have to get together and hoist a few if you guys make it as well.

drstressor
11-04-2005, 04:48 PM
I can probably get away for a day if the weather is OK. And only if Ron makes it. I see too much of you other guys. ;)

Mickey_Thomas
11-04-2005, 05:16 PM
It would be great to see you HH3, and Doc I feel honored, Weds would be the best day since we'll be leaving Tues morning and getting there around noonish ;) just so you know that Ron is coming, he's making reservations at Crosby's and bring up his Daughter and a couple of her friends :P He told me he would come as long as I didn't let Doc know :P :P HH3, this could be a "mini-fest" and a lot of fun, Doc doesn't know how to have fun so please come too ;D

hetchy
11-04-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm new on this site and don't think that I have met anyone here yet. We are going over to Pyramid this Sunday. Plan to fish there till Thursday then have a appt. to fish Tahoe with Mark Wiza on Friday. Anyway would like to say hi and compare notes. I have a 19' green Duckworth. My brother hurt is leg this week and had to put on a brace. So if you see a guy using a ladder to get in the boat at the top of the ramp that would be us. Bob