PDA

View Full Version : Lake Chabot Report

RolandMartinJr.
09-23-2005, 12:04 AM
Well I thought I'd give it a try for the holdovers. Started at around 9am. Tubed around the bass cove area with different colored wooly buggers and caught nothing. I started way too late for this time of the year. I'll be out in a few days in the early am and I'll post pics. By the way, they stocked today.

flyguy
09-23-2005, 08:34 AM
Hey Roland,

Thanks for the report. Sorry you got skunked, but hopefully it will start picking up soon. Was the stocking from the df&g?

fishinfreak
09-23-2005, 10:26 AM
RMJ, what kind of tube do you have? I'm looking into getting one for lake merced. I got the cabela's catalog, there are so many in there that I feel like I'm in over my head ??? Any advice on something not too big at a reasonable cost?

MamaWentFishin
09-23-2005, 12:48 PM
I personally love my Trout Unlimited Togiak tube...it has an adjustable seat back, lots of pockets for tackle/bait/ refreshments, and an area in the back to store a tackle box (or in my case, a small ice chest). It has two air bladders so if one springs a leak, you can get back to the shore on the other. I recall that I paid about $150 for it. You can certainly get cheaper ones from the catalog...just depends on the features you're looking for.

fishdude76
09-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Hey FishinFreak,

See what you like and give ebay a try. I always see tubes for a better than retail price.

I bought the Fishcat Panther from cabela's and love it. It has quad tubing so like Mama I can get to shore before sinking if one springs a leak. Also did a few mods on it like swivel chair, battery box, fish finder, rod holder and trolling motor. But that was a little more than $150.

Now that the temps will be dropping, it sure is nice to be out of the water than in it. When I go with my buds and they are in their tubes they are getting out every hour for potty breaks and just because its too cold. On the pontoon you're out of the water and I rarely get off the water during the day. One advantage to the tube is fighting the fish. With the pontoon if you don't have a trolling motor or your feet in the water its tough to land them. Before I got the trolling motor this was a real problem especially in wind. The oars just don't work with no hands on them while your fighting a fish.

flyguy
09-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Well answered my own question by checking out the ebparks website.

According to the info that they had posted, 2,000 lbs. of dfg trout were planted on the 19th, and have an upcoming plant of 2,500 (another 2,000 lbs from dfg & 500 from the park) due next week.

Guess I should have checked there first. ;)

RolandMartinJr.
09-23-2005, 05:04 PM
Yah it was DF&G that planted. Fishinfreak, I purchased my tube at the San Mateo Fishing and Hunting Expo from a dealer named Dave Scadden. It only cost me 40$ and is perfect for me. What I look for in a tube is large storage pockets, straps so that you can wear it like a back pack and hike miles if necessary, and light weight. SportsMart has some nice tubes that are inexpensive. Make sure you purchase quality waders if you are planning on fishing during the cold months. The Neoprine waders that Cabelas sell keep me warm and comfortable for hours. They cost over $200 but they are worth the price.

ChabotTrout
09-24-2005, 09:24 AM
Ill be out there tomorrow morning going from shore. I'll be at the burner. I'll post when I get back.

ChabotTrout
09-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Well I finally got to dust off the trout gear and put it to use at Chabot today. I got to the burner at around 6:30 and had both poles in the water by about 6:45. I had one set up with the regular Powerbait setup and one with a large nightcrawler threaded on and dipped in the Powerbait trout juice. I didnt catch anything but I noticed some promising things. The water temp. is pretty cold and the trout should be biting very soon. 2,000 pounds went in on Thursday and another 2,500 are going in this week! I know I didnt catch anything today but I still had a good day beacuse I know that the trout will be on again at Chabot soon. next week I'll be out there again. hoping for better results. Hopefully I'l see some of you guys out there soon catching some Chabot Trout!! ;D ;D

Vole
09-25-2005, 07:47 PM
ChabotTrout, thanks for the report. Keep at it. Let us know when you start getting your limits. It's a tough place to fish but you're one of the best.

ChabotTrout
09-25-2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks Vole, I'll keep you posted ;)
ChabotTrout

RolandMartinJr.
09-28-2005, 06:20 PM
It's not on yet. Had another skunk in the bass cove area off my tube. I never got skunked during the spring when the fishing was good. Maybe this weekend will be different, I'll let you all know when they start hitting. The surface temp isn't quite where we want it to be. A few more plants and some cooler night temps should make for some pretty good trout fishing.

ChabotTrout
09-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks Roland I cant wait for them to start biting. I'll be out there this weekend going from shore again. For sure Sat. and Maybe Sun. depending on how sat. goes.

b0nk
09-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Well atleast ya got out there. This 90 deg. weather isn't helping any. I hope to finally get to meet you out at Chabot sometime RMJ and ChabotTrout.

RolandMartinJr.
09-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Yah we'll have to get together out there some time. They've put 4500 pounds of trout in already, so they're in there. I'm suprised Chabot got planted the most out of all the bay area lakes these past two weeks. 500 of the 4500lbs is from mt. lassen so there should be some big ones out there. And I'm sure some of the bigger trout survive during the summer months out in the deep water where the restricted area is in front of the dam. And those fish go on a feeding frenzy once the water begins to turnover which hasn't occured yet.

johnbfishin
09-29-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm up for that. I live 15 min. from Chabot...run the dog & watch the sunrise, the fishing is incidental it's just nice to get out. You guys post it up or pm when & where and we'll see if we can meet up. ;D

flyguy
09-30-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm actually planning on heading out on Sunday (weather permitting, there is a slight chance of rain). It's also supposed to be cooler on sunday, so maybe the cooler weather and the change of air pressure will turn things up a tad.

I'll most likely be launching my tube out of bass cove. If anyone heads out earlier, let us know with your report. Thanks!

flyguy
10-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Went out Sunday, nothing biting yet in the bass cove/half moon bay area.

One of these days they'll start biting again!

badbobfishing33
10-03-2005, 08:11 AM
We should have a "Chabot Fest"....for us local boys who don't live near Pyramid Lake..LOL

Hey so wich way is the burner at lake chabot?? I have heard of it....I usually fish that first point on the north right side looking at the island. It's a nice walk down the left side lots of holes to fish in...

ChabotTrout
10-03-2005, 04:27 PM
Badbob, you just described Indian Cove, where you fish. The burner is on the opposite side. Just keep following the path on the left from the marina and the burner is the little trail on your right before you go up the big hill that takes you over to the Coot Landing part of the lake. You cant miss it.
Oh and I'm definitley up for the "Chabot Fest"
I couldnt make it out at all this weekend but I will this coming weekend. Roland or Flyguy have you seen any fish caught from shore at bass cove yet? I would think the bait fisherman would start catching fish a little earlier than you flyfisherman. Is that right or no? I'm not sure how it goes.
ChabotTrout

flyguy
10-04-2005, 02:34 PM
ChabotTrout,

I didn't see anyone banking it from Bass Cove on Sunday. The few folks in the rental boats that I talked to weren't having any luck either.

ChabotTrout
10-04-2005, 08:44 PM
oh ok, thanks. there will be people out there soon though. ;D ;D

johnbfishin
10-05-2005, 04:31 AM
The surface temps must be hitting the low 60's by now, it shouldn't be long before the trout bite starts up.

badbobfishing33
10-05-2005, 09:06 AM
these cold mornings should be helping....

thanks Chabottrout that's where I thought it was too...we will have to meet out there and catch some...I like to bring my electric motor and rent a row boat....but shore is fun too.....keep me posted or IM me when your going I live in Union City and am always up for Chabot