PDA

View Full Version : Pyramidfest Jig Bite? Maybe!

drstressor
09-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Went out this morning with BigB to scout out the lake before the opener. We released a total of 52 fish on jigs. They were everywhere they were last year from the Pyramid to the Needles. The strangest thing was that the bait schools were on the bottom and the fish seemed to be over them. Yet almost all of the fish were caught in the top 15 ft! Only one short fish, about an equal number of 16"-19" keepers and slot fish, and at least 2 fish over 24". I hate to admit it, but I lost a real hog that went under the boat at the last second.

Here are a few pics:

http://unr.edu/homepage/weber/brian6.jpg

http://unr.edu/homepage/weber/brian1.jpg

http://unr.edu/homepage/weber/brian3.jpg

http://unr.edu/homepage/weber/brian2.jpg

http://unr.edu/homepage/weber/brian4.jpg

http://unr.edu/homepage/weber/brian5.jpg

http://unr.edu/homepage/weber/brian7.jpg

The Brian had one fish track his jig before he even got it in the water. He'd move his rod tip around and the fish would follow the lure while looking through the surface of the water. As soon as he dropped the jig into the water, the fish ate the jig!

The fishing was not wide open like last year. We really had to work for those 52 fish. ;D

Reno_Reeler
09-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the report Doc. Brian's expression is a subtle indicator on how much fun you guys had.

Now I'm really excited!
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/2903/dogroverdancingsaturdaynightfe.gif

ODDIE
09-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Doc; What part of the lake were you jiging at?

ODDIE

drstressor
09-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Come to the Pyramidfest fishing workshop on Friday night and I'll tell you exactly where and how we fished.

In general, every tufa rock wall on the east side held fish. We kept moving to check where the fish were and we caught them at every place we tried.

ODDIE
09-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Doc; Thanks, I plan to be there Friday evening.

ODDIE :D :D

Mickey_Thomas
09-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Thanks Doc, can't wait to try all the new jigs I have ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D And to think, I can cover the whole lake in my new faster boat. :D 8)

ODDIE
09-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Mickey; Why have so many jigs? You only need one to catch a fish with.

ODDIE ;D ;D

THE_TROUTKING
09-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Well thats looks like fun.I just reserved my 25 foot rv ;D ;D.I will be there the 6,7,8,9,10 ;D.
cant wait just bought some jigs and some apex today im stoked cant wait are we there yet.

Brian

SuperDave
09-25-2005, 06:34 PM
How many perch? Is it October 1st already? ??? ;D

SuperDave
09-25-2005, 06:36 PM
Doc, is that Brian's or your britches falling down in the 1st pic?

Reno_Reeler
09-25-2005, 06:59 PM
The jigs up Doc!

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4163/jigup7nk.gif

Super spy photo binoculars from an undisclosed tufa rock vantage point. 1/2 ounce?

drstressor
09-25-2005, 07:03 PM
I couldn't find my perch rigs Hinrid. So we decided to just scout things out for you guys. The things we do for the 'sniffers. ;D

Actually I'm the guy with the saggy britches. Remind me to kill Brian for taking that shot. ;)

BTW, Brian told me that he is going to use your boat as a "motivational tool" for some of the disaffected youths that the sheriffs office has been trying to council. The greater Reno community thanks you for leaving your boat at his house. ;D

drstressor
09-25-2005, 07:10 PM
You are GOOD Reno Reeler! I've been telling everyone to stop spending money on other jigs and just get 3/4 oz Crippled Herring in green/white and chartreuse/white. But nobody will listen and they just keep wasting their money on things that might or might not work. On Friday night I'll tell everybody why 3/4 oz CH or 1 oz Castmaster spoons work. If you use anything that sinks faster, it just drops past the fish in the strike zone.

BigB
09-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Well, the boat is clean and I am back from bowling. Here is the one picture I got of Doc. I have one good picture of Doc, but I am having problems trying to size it, so I will post it tommorow. Doc and I had a good time scouting Pyramid for all of you Sniffers
While we did catch most of our fish on the green and white jigs, I did catch a couple on a pearl jig and a fire tiger jig.

Brian

skipper
09-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Hey Doc, What size are the tui chubs this time of the year? I want to troll flutter spoons, need to know what length would be best. :-/ :-/ ----fish hawk

drstressor
09-25-2005, 09:45 PM
There seem to be relatively few little young of the year chubs this season. We hooked a bunch of chubs today and they were either 4" or 6" long. Probably Yr 1 and Yr 2 fish.

Mako
09-26-2005, 08:08 AM
I don't understand, how can you fish before Oct 1st. If is just catch and release before Oct 1 st, we will have to start fishing also.

drstressor
09-26-2005, 10:57 AM
There are a few folks who fish the Pyramid all summer long. You can keep 10 perch per day if you can find them. I always do my best to avoid trout during the summer because of low survival rates when the temp and pH are high. But yesterday was a scouting trip. Surface temp was a safe 65 degrees and there was no algae. You can't use downriggers or retain any trout over the summer. Otherwise you can still legally fish the lake.

CHICKFISHING58
09-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Doc and Brian,
I guess you guys just have to tease me just think 5 days from now fish on ;)

SuperDave
09-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Chick, you're making me sea sick. :P Nice new signature!

BigB
09-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Beth,

Just for you, of the two porta potties that I surveyed, the seats were in up position.

Brian

BigB
09-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Here is picture of Doc, with one of first fish that he caught yesterday. The fish was a little camera shy and was trying to jump out of his hands when I was taking the picture.

http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/561/imag00066hw.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I know that everyone will learn a lot on Friday night from Doc, but I highly recommend going out fishing with him. You will learn even more.

Doc, about that first picture. Who posted it?

Brian

CHICKFISHING58
09-27-2005, 08:06 AM
Doc, is that Brian's or your britches falling down in the 1st pic?
I'm not going to touch that one :-X ;D

BITE_ME_II
09-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Hey guys quit picking on Docs britches!

He's a college profeeso and nowadays it's hip to show more hip so he is now considered one of the coolest Profs. on Campus.

What was it you said Doc.

Lower them Britches pick up more bit**es.

with all of my weight loss this should be easier.

BITE ME II
8) 8)

His pants wouldn't stay up, they were full of hidden jigs.

drstressor
09-27-2005, 09:18 AM
"Secret" jigs. ;D

mighty_bite
09-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Hey Doc. can small boats under 14ft. make it to any of these jig spots with good conditions?

krzyfshrmn
09-27-2005, 06:56 PM
"Good conditions" can be very short lived on Pyramid :-/

Rusty_Hooks
09-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Chick, you're making me sea sick. :P Nice new signature!

Diiittttttoooooo.........

reminds me of my first trip out of princeton...at 7 with gramps

drstressor
09-27-2005, 07:47 PM
The closest tufa wall to the ramp is 8 miles across open water. My rule of thumb is that unless your boat has a windshield and a radio, you should never try to cross over to the east side no matter how good the weather might be. You can put float tubes, inflatables, and Portabotes in at Pyramid Beach, Red Bay, and Anderson Bay on the east side. But I would only try that under perfect conditions.

But all you need to jig effectively is concentrated bait. Actually, the only surface bait schools we saw on Sunday were off the points on the west side very close to shore. If you find bait on the surface or right on the bottom, jigging can be effective anywhere in the lake. I've also caught fish blind jigging right off Spider Point and Warrior Point on the west side. These are easy spots to get to with a small boat in good weather.

Steelhead
09-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Sounds like I need to send Doc an old plumbers cure for low britches....Crack Plaster :-/

Britches....we don't....

HighSierra_Drifter
09-27-2005, 08:23 PM
* * *"Good conditions" can be very short lived on Pyramid :-/

Mighty Bite...just ask Farrier Frank about our trip across the lake last February. Here is what it looked like going over to the East side in the morning.
http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com/images/boat_wake.jpg
It took us over 45 minutes to get back across in my 23 ft cabin cruiser (sea worthy). The whole lake blew up into 4-5 foot whitecaps in a matter of 15 minutes. By the time we made it back to Pelican at 12MPH (about 45 minutes) I was sure ready for one or ten of Doc's margaritas.

Drifter

mighty_bite
09-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks,no need to do that,The across the lake thing, but the margs.O.K ;D Just trying to get a wind and no wind game plan ;)

Farrier_Frank
09-28-2005, 04:48 AM
High Sierra is right - DON'T TAKE A SMALL BOAT ACROSS THE LAKE!! - Even if the water looks calm as glass don't try. We didn't take a picture of the return trip because we were all hanging on and the waves in the middle of the lake were coming over the bow of his cruiser and the spray was landing on the back deck. Because it's a lake (a BIG lake) the waves are not uniform and a small boat has no chance at all.

CHICKFISHING58
09-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Diiittttttoooooo.........

reminds me of my first trip out of princeton...at 7 with gramps
I really like the chick in the boat but now if it had a fish on the end would even be better ;D

CHICKFISHING58
09-28-2005, 08:37 AM
As the guys said I have a 14ft Lund I would never take it across the lake thatís why I have fishing buddies that feel sorry for me and they let me hitch a ride ;D

THE_TROUTKING
09-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Ive never had any problems in my 16 ft kalmath up there
There is a rule of thumb 10 mph hour winds are more focasted stay on the west side,10 mph or less head to the east side I was up there about 7 seven times last year headed to the eastside 5 times with no problems,Listen too the forcast on your vhf cannels 2,3,4,5.What I do is listen
at night before I go to bed.Then In the morning before I go out I listen at the forcast.One other thing if you see a cloud at the north end of the lake pick it up and start headed to the westside fast what that is is the wind picking up dirt or dust that means its about to BLOW.

Also do not cross the lake if you have less than a 25 hp
motor.I have learned al this from the great DR.

Brian

troutfan
09-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Ive never had any problems in my 16 ft kalmath up there
There is a rule of thumb 10 mph hour winds are more focasted stay on the west side,10 mph or less head to the east side I was up there about 7 seven times last year headed to the eastside 5 times with no problems,Listen too the forcast on your vhf cannels 2,3,4,5.What I do is listen
at night before I go to bed.Then In the morning before I go out I listen at the forcast.One other thing if you see a cloud at the north end of the lake pick it up and start headed to the westside fast what that is is the wind picking up dirt or dust that means its about to BLOW.

Also do not cross the lake if you have less than a 25 hp
motor.I have learned al this from the great DR.

* * * * * * *Brian

I had a Klamath 16' that I fished Pyramid with for fifteen years and that is sound advice from Brian. *If you don't have it already this link is the NOAA pinpoint forecast for Sutcliffe.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/index.php?wfo=rev&zone=nvz004&fire=nvz453&county=n vc031&dgtl=1&lat=39.969583333333&lon=-119.60875

tahoe_bob
09-28-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm thinking of bringing my 17' v-hull I/0 runabout (see pic below). *I've had one scary day out on Lake Tahoe before dealing with 3-4' swells and don't want to repeat that incident again. *What do you guys think about this boat and it's ability to deal with the wind at Pyramid?

Thanks,
TB

P.S. Can anyone guess where this photo was taken?

http://www.panix.com/~am_dew/boat.jpg

BigB
09-28-2005, 06:34 PM
TB,

I think your boat will be fine on Pyramid. If you do not feel comfortable going over to the east side, then stay along the west shore. You will catch just as many fish as those that go over to the other side. If you do want to go to the east side, think about going over with another boat.

Brian

tahoe_bob
09-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Thanks Brian. If I can get fish without going across, that's fine with me!!

TB

Farrier_Frank
09-28-2005, 06:50 PM
I don't see any STARS on that boat, Tahoe Bob ??? The boat will do fine on Pyramid. But if you're coming to a Sniffer event, the Sniffer event of the year, and you don't have STARS on your boat you'll be alone on the water. And that's not a good thing. Give FISHSTALKER a call and get the STARS on the boat. ;)

SuperDave
09-28-2005, 07:07 PM
It looks like Almanor to me.

tahoe_bob
09-28-2005, 07:16 PM
It looks like Almanor to me.

You are correct, sir!! :)

THE_TROUTKING
09-28-2005, 10:26 PM
That boat would be fine to croos the lake.I had a 14 fiberglass 1959 with a 25 horse and it was fine,has long as the winds our forcasted to be less then 10 mph or less.

Brian

tahoe_bob
09-29-2005, 04:40 AM
Has anyone found the 3/4 or 1 oz green/white or chartreuse/white Crippled Herrings that Doc suggests in the Sacramento or Reno area? Or will the Pyramid store have them?

Thanks,
TB

drstressor
09-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Sportsman's Warehouse in Reno has them.

BITE_ME_II
09-29-2005, 02:35 PM
SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I haven't been shopping yet! ;D

BITE ME II
8) 8)

BigB
09-29-2005, 03:06 PM
I am not sure about the stores at Pyramid Lake, but the Winner's Corner on Pyramid Lake Hwy in Spanish Springs carries some tackle and they had some Gibbs jigs the other day. They were placing an orde for tackle last week when I was there. I will try and check with them tomorrow to see what they got in.

Brian

Rusty_Hooks
09-29-2005, 04:02 PM
I'll stop by FW in Rocklin tomorrow and see....what's left ;D

FishMischief
09-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Wild Sports (Folsom) had Gibbs and Castmaster in the correct size colors.

JasonB
09-29-2005, 06:58 PM
I have abunch left over from last year I'll bring them up with me .

Rusty_Hooks
10-03-2005, 11:18 AM
FW was getting a little thin on the bucktails nut their selection of jig heads and plastic was good ;)

BigB
10-03-2005, 04:07 PM
BTW, Brian told me that he is going to use your boat as a "motivational tool" for some of the disaffected youths that the sheriffs office has been trying to council. The greater Reno community thanks you for leaving your boat at his house. ;D

Doc,

Hinrid dropped his boat off today and I just saw it when I arrived home. It is a nice looking Jetcraft. May be I will commandeer it for those disaffected youths. Is anybody bring some up for Pryamidfest? I think I will have to rename the boat to 'Used to Hinrid's!"

Brian

drstressor
10-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Did he leave the keys or must we improvise?

Bite_Me_II and I need a boat for Wednesday afternoon. We'll take any kids that might me hanging out. ;D

BigB
10-03-2005, 04:25 PM
No, he did not leave the keys to it. He even locked the trailer. Now I can not move it to where I would like it parked.

It would also look good behind my truck.

What, Bite_Me_II will not let you take his boat?

Brian

drstressor
10-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Oh I just thought that it might be too rough. Figured that Hinrid's boat was sort of expendable since he went ahead and left it. ;D

Not leaving the keys so that you could move the boat was not good. He should be punished. ;D

I guess that I could cut through the lock. But the Sheriff might catch me. ;)

BigB
10-03-2005, 04:35 PM
You think that he would have left the keys. That way we could check it worthiness on Pyramid Lake and check on that jig bite, one more time before everyone gets here.

Brian

drstressor
10-03-2005, 04:38 PM
That was the idea. But I guess he just ruined everything for everybody else. ;)

BITE_ME_II
10-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Brian !! turn your head!! I'll take care of it 8) ;)

BITE ME II
8) 8)

BigB
10-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Okay. Do you h ave enough time between your naps?

Brian

BITE_ME_II
10-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Hmmmm! I hadn't thought of that! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz oh sorry I'm back!!

Can't wait for the zzzzzzzzzzzz weekend! dang it!!!!

BITE ME II
8) 8)

SuperDave
10-03-2005, 07:14 PM
Brian, great place you've got. Thanks for protecting my boat from Doc! Your e-mail said "park it anywhere" so I hope that parking it on the front lawn wasn't a bad place. I also feel very secure knowing you have the attack Peakanese guarding it. You were very generous to make this available. BTW, Eagle Lake had enough suspence and adventure to write a novel. Wind, rain, SNOW! We had it all. Caught lots of nice fish too.