PDA

View Full Version : Folsom 9-29 late morning

sky_carp
09-29-2005, 06:11 PM
On the water at 10:30 am. Spoke to Tomcallaghan...I think...he really covered some ground. He was also on those rainbows. Nice exchanging info as you pass...I always miss that early weekday morning bite. *Fished the same area as last week and caught 6 kings and missed a few others. *Released all, the biggest was @2.5 LBS. Left at 1:15 and the best fish was caught right before I pulled them in for the day. Used needlefish,the same one's ( German Brown & Firetiger) behind white cannonball flashers. *Best depth was 60ft. *Graphing fish in the 20's and 30's. *I'm going to use a top line worm/flasher rig on Sunday early and see.

tomcallaghan
09-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Those German Br needles are great. I didn't use it today though. Great to talk to you. I don't know who the guy in the white/blue boat was, but we talked some and he was listening too. He said they've caught them up to 28" using brass spinners, He didn't elaborate. But he never heard of my lures either. See ya out there.

sky_carp
09-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Tom, I thought it was you. It may get interesting w/ the dropping barometer. For some reason the german Brown needlefish has been the best for me when it comes to needlefish. Can't always find them though. I also am going to try the 2" white power grub on a white uncle larry's behind the CB flashers next time. It was nice chatting out there and I'll know to keep a lookout for you from now on. Brad

woodrow
09-30-2005, 12:21 PM
sky carp, I was also out there at 10am and we passed several times. I started out with white/red needlefish and a 1 1/2" Rebel jonted minnow at 60' and 70', tried an Excel spoon, then a pin minnow. Nothing. Put down the old Folsom standby, dodger and worm and had two 14" trout in 15 minutes, had to leave, left at noon. Going again Monday, will post.

tomcallaghan
09-30-2005, 03:53 PM
Brad, The rig you described is exactly the set-up that Randy Pyrez, a guide on Folsom and WON reporter, RIP, used to use. He took my wife and I to learn downrigging. Back then, befor light, he used silver blade UL with the 3" berkley grub, then called neonz white with a Seps silver 4-0 dodger. After the sun hits the water, he'd put on a pearl white UL, same grub, with a Seps pearl 4-0 dodger.

He dipped them all in a yellow liquid, no not that!!!, maybe "kick'n trout", but it was in a glass jar and he wouldn't tell me what it was.

sky_carp
10-01-2005, 07:38 AM
TC, I've not tried the 3 inch grub, maybe it will catch the bigger ones. *I really like it behind the Cb flashers when I'm below 40 feet. *May have to change to the black CB flashers if it gets cloudy, but have always done better with the white. The secret stink stuff...I sort of backed into the grub as I use to use the uncle larrys spinners w/ worms and I forgot the worms, so I checked the bag and tried the grub. 4.5 lb salmon right away...sometimes something good comes out of forgetfullness.

Trout_Terminator
10-02-2005, 03:06 PM
What types of grubs are these? like could some one give me a brand name please?