PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Lake 9/25

skunk-monkey
09-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Finally figuring out that whether it's $15 to launch or $15 in gas to drive an hour, either way I'm out $15. Soooo my two boys and I headed to Folsom Lake on Sunday afternoon.

Started out in front of the dam but moved away because A) there were no fish on the finder and B) my nine year old successfully scared my six year old into thinking the dam was about to break. Gotta love big brothers.

After we reached what the six year old deemed to be a safe distance away, we just meandered around a while trying to find fish. Finally saw a few holding around 55 feet so that's where I lowered the downriggers to.

Soon after, we hit a fat 15 inch rainbow. A couple shaker Chinook followed and then, around 3pm, one of the poles went nuts. It was my nine year old's turn to catch so he grabbed it. Line was singing off the reel and I thought the drag was too loose, so I checked it. It wasn't. Five minutes and one tired nine year old later, we landed a gorgeous, fat 19 inch Chinook that had to be three pounds.

We all remember that one fish that hooked us? This was it for him. The boy is hard-wired for good, now. The six year though was jealous so we kept at it, until finally picking up another nice fat rainbow for him. He was happy then that he at least caught more than his brother. Plus, hey, the dam didn't break.

We were south of the dam, in about 72 feet of water. Two of the fish were caught on a Slingblade with just a white and pink spoon (can't remember the name). The other was on a Sep's watermelon dodger pulling a wedding ring. We also had several other shaker chinook. All three were stuffed with minnows. Talked to a guy at the launch who said another boat out there (I saw maybe five that were fishing)
in the same general area had a few nice ones that sounded about the same size as my son's.

SideJump
09-26-2005, 01:54 PM
I was out there in the morning(0730-1030). Conditions were great because there was only 2-3 boats that I saw trolling around in the main body. We too caught our fish at 50'. We hooked one little salmon and two fat bows. We lost one huge fish which I think was a catfish. Didn't do so well on the dodger/worm combination so we switch over to Golden Eyes and Speedy Shiners (trolling speed from 1.5-1.8 mph). That's when we caught bows and what I think was a catfish. Anyway it was a great morning. We got off in time to avoid the skiers.

fishtales
09-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Was on Folsom Saturday from 7:30 to 1:00. Started at 65 feet with anchove/RSK trailing a 3/0 silver dodger on one side, and a rainbow speedy shiner trailing 4/0 silver dodger on the other. Caught too many small kings to have any fun, so I switched over to bows in the top 30 feet. Landed four good ones from 15 to 17 inches, each was so full of smelt they were spitting them out! A wonderful day on the local waters.

ChabotTrout
09-26-2005, 04:28 PM
Great Report SM! it was fun to read! :D ;D

Mickey_Thomas
09-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Folsom is spitting out fish, this is a good thing ;D ;D

trackertundra
09-26-2005, 08:17 PM
I have been reading alot about this anchove/RSK, what exactly is it?

Dennis
09-26-2005, 10:10 PM
trackertundra,

A RSK is a Rotary Salmon Killer with an anchovie. It's a plastic clip that holds the anchovie and rotates it. They make different sizes to hold different size baits.

http://www.protroll.com/product/lrsalmonkiller.jpg

Silver_Streak
09-27-2005, 05:31 AM
Those Folsom Lake landlocks sure are fun to catch. I haven't been out there in a long time, my season pass expired and I hate paying the $$ to get in! Great to hear that some of you guys are catching a few of those guys. My biggest landlocked out of Folsom (actually my son's) came in late Feb. It was 24" and weighted in at 4lbs.!! Even though it's a little late, I'll post the pictures one of these days when I figure out how to do that! ;)