PDA

View Full Version : Tubing Pyramid ?

ken_fishnfool
09-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Is fishing from a float tube (jigging) out of the question here? Or does it really get "Surf's UP!"?
I've never been, so I thought I would ask.

drstressor
09-16-2005, 09:59 AM
A lot of folks have been tubing Pyramid in recent years. It all depends on the weather of course. I saw a guys set up just off Spider point a few years back and jig up over 50 fish. He had a depthfinder and just positioned himself over a small rock outcropping. Most folks troll flies from tubes. But it may be too early for that at Pyramidfest.

ken_fishnfool
09-16-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks Doc, I am now sorely tempted to make the run to the Fest. :D

Weez
09-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Ken,

Please please please check the weather report. Check at the last second before leaving for your Pyramid trip. www.weather.com or www.wunderground.com ---- try Nixon, Nevada for the closest report. Float tubers have been killed here. This afternoon we had a lake wind advisory for Tahoe- 30 MPH gusts- !!

drstressor
09-18-2005, 07:23 PM
That's right. You can't tube or small boat Pyramid unless conditions are close to perfect. But during a typical October, about half of the days are close to perfect. After that, it can be very tough.

Steelhead
09-18-2005, 11:16 PM
about half of the days are close to perfect. After that it can be very tough

Doc,
Does that mean Pyramid is float tube heaven until the 15th ;D

Set_The_Hook
09-19-2005, 01:45 PM
I have fished my tube many times on Pyramid and Doc couldn't be more right about the wind. I stay very close to the west shore. If there is any wind at all I will pick a protected shoreline north of spider point and stay within casting distance of shore or just fish from shore. Use your best judgment.
I have done very well though casting to the shore with spoons and flies especially in the spring.
I have a fish finder for my u-boat so locating fish along drop offs around spider can be very rewarding.
STH

drstressor
09-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Maybe you were the guy I saw catching all those fish off of Spider from a tube? ;D

Set_The_Hook
09-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Doc,
Wish it were so but my luck dictates that I am almost never described as the guy who "caught all those fish" :D Since my wife let me buy a 14' gregor 2 years ago, I hardly ever take a tube to pyramid. It seems a little scarier than it used to. :)

Mr_Ed
09-21-2005, 08:33 AM
I have a buddy that tubes. He does well trolling flys. One time his partner tuber cramped up and he had to kick both of them to shore; boy was he woreout!! The only problem he has is he drinks beer and there ain't no santihut tied to his tube !!! Later ...Ed