PDA

View Full Version : Spawning (brown) trout

norcaltopliner
09-17-2005, 04:41 AM
If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it. *I know brown trout spawn in the fall. *October/November. However, I fish a couple of lakes where I know there is a good population but most years the spawning rivers don't really open up until Decemeber/January. *Kind of late. *I've seen it first hand several times. *Do they miss their chance? *Another particular spot seems to freeze over prior to giving adequate spawning conditions. *Do these fish actually go up river to spawn? *Or do they make due with what they have? *I'm fascinated with these cycles. *Not trying to stir things up. *Just curious.

Thanks for the info.

HOOF
09-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Fish are like a good dog-They do the same thing over and over and over.If there is habitat for the browns leave them alone and next year(& after that)you will catch fish.

FreshwaterFrank
09-18-2005, 07:41 AM
In Melones, I catch browns full of eggs in Jan.-Feb.? Go figure. They are getting ready to spawn now, however..at least the ones I've caught up-lake. A 10 pounder was caught in Melones last week on a Rapala @ 25 ft, in the mouth of Carson Creek BTW.

drstressor
09-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Brown trout spawning in CA is what they call episodic. When water conditions are right, there is a successful spawn. Most years in most lakes, conditions are not right. They either attempt to spawn (sometimes near gravel shorelines) and feed the crayfish or reabsorb their eggs and wait another year or two.

FreshwaterFrank
09-19-2005, 05:27 AM
Does that mean they don't usually head up an inlet stream to try to spawn? I seem to catch them most often in fall near inlets & have always assumed it's because they're assembling for spawning. The ones with eggs in spring, I'll catch anywhere in the lake.

drstressor
09-19-2005, 07:17 AM
They stage in front of inlet streams as long as there is some water running. They will try to spawn in the streams if they can. November and December is usually the peak of spawning activity. Much depends on the weather conditions in any given year. I watched browns try to spawn in Davies Creek at Stampede a few years back. There was so little water that they had to lay on their sides to swim. Most of the browns in Stampede try to spawn in the Little Truckee and they seem to be successful some years. But since most of them are planted, they don't know where to go and will swim up just about anything that has running water.

FreshwaterFrank
09-19-2005, 07:37 AM
That's good info & in line with my experience. In dry years, the only water flowing in during late fall is Angels Creek & the Stan. Usually the water is down pretty far, & fishing the mouths is a gnarly proposition. High risk to gain ratio. Thanks.