PDA

View Full Version : Wrights Lake/Dark Lake

John_heyd
08-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Went up to Wrights lake on Saturday - for a Day picnic with family but had to take the pole. Fished about 2 hours total - one hour about 11AM to noon and then from about 2:30 t0 3:30 at Dark Lake. Used Salmon eggs on a #10 with 4lbs. line. Caught one Brown in Wrights about 12 inches and one smaller rainbow of about 11 inches in Dark. Fishing was slow for the time of day - but clearly plenty of fish in the Lakes. Enjoyed watching an eagle fishing the lake - more sucessfully then I. I would guess that toward evening or early in morning - fishing would be great. Good day - warm but nice breeze blowing. Hated to leave.

Ozzy
08-08-2005, 08:49 AM
Hey sounds like a great day cabinfever, I tried to get my 15 year old son to go with me yesterday. He was'nt interested, I went to Hell Hole Res. and French Meadow Res.
No bites, but enjoyed first visit to French Meadow.Where is Dark Lake?

John_heyd
08-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Dark Lake is 1/2 mile past Wrights lake on the Wrights lake road - road basically dead ends at Dark Lake where the Barrett Jeep Trail takes off. Small Kidney shaped lake - deep with lots of tule's around the one side - has a resident school of large Brown's which are impossible to catch but good stock of catchable planters. Lovely lake - high alpine type with lots of trees. Give it a try. Use either red salmon eggs or local critters - grass hoppers, Helgrmits. Or dry flys on a bubble.

medicrob
09-14-2005, 11:34 PM
OK, here's the ticket to this lake. I just fished here this past week and absolutely the best bait is halgromites. These are dragonfly larve that are found on the banks of dark lake underneath rocks twigs and logs near the banks of dark lake. It is a guarnteed fish per larve. They range from 1/4 inch to 1 inch in lenght and are the best bait available. I tried worms and powerbait with no luck and talked to a local who suggested these and they worked awesome. Good luck!

John_heyd
09-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Ya, I should have mentioned that. I've used those little buggers for years too. Salmon eggs (red) or the bugs. Typically we use a bubble float with about 3 feet of leader. Just put the bug on about a #10 or 12 bait hook, cast it out there and let it set. I have to tell you though that sometimes I've used the bugs and haven't caught a thing - other times it works like a charm. Best place to fish on the lake is on the South side, along the Eastern end. The primo spot is a large open rock that you can get out on where the lake bends to the South. Good Luck. ::)

mike22ca
09-16-2005, 08:57 AM
OK, here's the ticket to this lake. *I just fished here this past week and absolutely the best bait is halgromites. *These are dragonfly larve that are found on the banks of dark lake underneath rocks twigs and logs near the banks of dark lake. *It is a guarnteed fish per larve. *They range from 1/4 inch to 1 inch in lenght and are the best bait available. *I tried worms and powerbait with no luck and talked to a local who suggested these and they worked awesome. *Good luck!

I have fished there for a long time and caught tons of fish there. Helgramites and broken backs ;). Flys work good too.

jchurch
09-16-2005, 12:59 PM
What do these halgromites look like again? Are they also around Wright's lake? I must confess, this is one bait I have never heard of. So you just poke around in the muck?

I have fished Wright's lake on a number of occassions. One can get little browns and rainbows on pather martins early in the season, by the watefall. But it is not an easy lake to fish.

Jim