PDA

View Full Version : home made submersable light *15$(picture attached)

kstone44
07-28-2005, 06:46 PM
* One submersible light *total cost about 15$
This light puts out more light than the store bought ones

· * * *1 piece * * *1” PVC pipe x 3” long
· * * *2 end caps PVC to fit over the above piece
· * * *One small tube of silicone
· * * *1 * * 50 watt halogen 12volt light bulb
· * * *30ft waterproof duel strand wire
· * * *2 butt connecters that fit the wire
· * * *2 battery clamps
· * * *1, 3oz sinker *
· * * *Disposable rubber gloves
· * * *Electrical tape
· * * *Tools needed: drill with a 5/16 bit and a soldering gun

1) * * *In the end of each end cap drill the proper size holes, one for the wire to fit through and one for the bulb. Also drill the weight through the center with the 5/16-drill bit.
* * *2) Strip the ends of each wire and crimp each with a with butt connector
3) On each end of butt connector cut off the plastic about ½” back, on these you need to solder the pins from the back of the halogen bulb. When it has cooled down use electrical tape to separate them, then wrap them together
4) Now its time to put it together, take the first end cap and start it over the pipe about 3/8 on an inch, insert through the other end cap the cord.
5) Next feed the light bulb through the main tube and thru end cap with the entire bulb + 1” of cord.
6) Put on the rubber gloves (you’ll be glad you did)
7) Open up the tube of silicone and fill the long tube towards the light bulb.
8 Then fill the rear end cap and push the 2 ends onto the 3” tube, as you do this you will start extruding the silicone out the holes where the bulb and cord are coming thru.
9) After the ends are pushed in as far as they will go, its time to pull on the cord to bring the light bulb back into the top. I leave about ¾ of the light exposed. This provides good coverage of all connections.
10) Slide the weight down the cord and bring it to rest against the back of the rear cap.
11) Its time to start cleaning the excess silicone off of everything, wipe as much of it off as you can, try and maintain a smooth coverage. The light bulb also should be cleaned off at this time. The silicone will start setting up fairly quick so use this time to maintain the location of the light, so it does not sag down.
12) After everything is set up and dried you can do a little extra cleaning, silicone is very easy to remove with a knife. Strip the ends of the wires and attach the clamps.
13) Let it cure over night before you use it and make a little protective sleeve so the bulb is not damaged.
14) I mark the light starting at the bulb end in 5ft increments so I can keep track of its depth.
15) I smear the outside of the body with a pro cure sent, the minnows love it.
the green object in the pic is a pool float that I hollowed out to use as a protective cover
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/4797/droplight3ox.jpg

*GOOD LUCK

firetrout
07-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Kevin,
Any way you can take a photo. Or better yet in stages next one you make?
Thanks,

kstone44
07-28-2005, 08:32 PM
That was my intension but I'm working 11+ a day 6 days a week so one in process will be tough but a couple pictures I'll try and knock out this week and edit my post. I know the instructions seem long but it does not take that long to do, I just tried to be as detailed as I could

Wolf74
07-28-2005, 09:35 PM
COOL I finaly found the instructions. Lol, half the guys were waiting for them on the other board hehe.

Farrier_Frank
07-29-2005, 04:42 AM
That's great Kevin -- I was expecting it on the GFD board, too. But I read most of this stuff anyway so sooner or later I usually find it -- I'm going to put this one in file and make a father/son project out of it. Thanks.

YakMotor
09-06-2005, 11:27 AM
In thinking about using your light I imagine if the bulb is lit (and HOT) before going in the water it might burst due to temperature change. I manage to ruin the bulb in my RV's fridge about every other time I defrost by splashing cold water on it.

Good idea on applying scent too. Thanks for taking the time to post your picture and instructions.

Mickey_Thomas
09-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Be carefull, in this day and age you might get arrested for making pipe bombs ;) A little tip, don't take one of those lights on a plane in your suitcase ;D