PDA

View Full Version : Heenan

GCinGV
08-22-2005, 06:43 AM
Anyone going to Heenan for the opener? I think its in two weeks.
GC

Weez
08-22-2005, 09:23 AM
Me. I'll be guiding on it if I can book someone for spin fly combo from my boat, otherwise I'm off the schedule at the fly shop- there's no way I'm going to be guiding on say, the West Carson on opening day of Heenan. Should be good, what with the size of the fish last year and the big water year we've had.

fishdude76
08-22-2005, 10:58 AM
My first day there won't be until 9/17. Unfortunately my fiancee told her best friend we'd be on Catalina Island for her wedding. Can you believe that? I understand her being in the wedding and all but why when Heenan opens? Hopefully there is a charter I can take on Catalina to quench my fishing needs.

FishMischief
08-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Not sure if I will make it for the opener or not but I definatly will be fishing Heenan again this year. Last year Heenan was one of my favorite trips.

A buddy of mine was stopped there on his way back from Mammoth and says the water level is higher than last year. Can anyone else confirm this? Would the higher water level change the fishing tatics?

I fished the weedbeds last year spincasting with spoons. Caught some huge fish and the average was like 3lbs.

cdawg
08-22-2005, 12:26 PM
WHAT ABOUT BANK FISHING AT HEENAN?JUST WONDERING,SINCE I AM CURRANTLY BOATLESS.I HAVE HEARD ABOUT THE GREAT FISHING,BUT HAVE YET TO VISIT THE LAKE.

dj57
08-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Bank fishing can be tough. There are usually a couple spots where you can cast without getting into the weeds but you never know from one year to the next. Float tubes, canoes, kayaks, and inflatable boats all work well. I will be there on friday and will most likley be using my pontoon float. It doesn't get any better then this!!

GCinGV
08-30-2005, 05:59 AM
Hey dj,
Ill be up there Friday as well, in a 12 ft aluminum in the back of a red Toyota.
It should be a great year at Heenan. The fish size should be back up to historic highs (about 27 with lots of 20 to 24 fish) as before the die-off years back.
GC

crestliner
08-30-2005, 06:50 AM
Good morning !

What day is the opener ?
Is it this weekend ?
I have never been to Heenan .
It's catch and release , right ?
So you can take a boat out on it ?
Is it barbless hooks ?
Wife said I can take off this weekend !
What is best to use , for spinning gear ?

???
Help .......

firetrout
08-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Crestliner,
check out the rules for that lake by pulling up the map of that lake on this fishsniffer map guide.

crestliner
08-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks , Fire !
I got the info ..........
Starts friday huh .......
Electric power only .
Might have to go this weekend .
;)

tight
08-30-2005, 02:52 PM
What lures work best for you guys?

FishMischief
08-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Electric and a pretty small boat if your gonna use a boat. You have to lift in no launching. The dirt path down is narrow and turnaround space is limited.

I did launch a 14' aluminum last year. But it was a rowboat/motor boat class, very shallow boat. We fished three people from it and it was a blast!

fishdude76
08-31-2005, 08:07 AM
Looks like I might be able to fish the opener now. Not leaving until next week for Catalina. I will be on a red pontoon w/trolling motor. Don't know any of you so if you see me say hi. I fished there last year a couple of times got some bites but didn't land any. It was tough rowing in the wind and trying to fly fish. Hopefully with the trolling motor things will get better this year. Also was wondering if they will be having any hatches out there? If so what and what size? I know the matukas, and wooly's work out there but was wondering what nymphs might work.

FishMischief
08-31-2005, 10:15 AM
FD76, I came across this article. I dont know how old it is but it seemed to be relevent to your question...

http://cvff.org/heenan-9-00.htm

Weez will probably have current information.

fishdude76
08-31-2005, 12:43 PM
4 flies under an indicator huh? Seems excessive to me, but you know its worth a shot if your fishless:)

FishMischief
08-31-2005, 08:34 PM
seemed extreem to me as well. But they did mention nymphs and the hatch. ;)

GCinGV
09-01-2005, 06:34 AM
tight,
Ive done best trolling and casting, large spoon type lures like Jakes Spin-a-lure, large Super Dupers and Crip Lures all in a gold and red finish. Seems like any large chunk of metal works pretty well though.
Heenan is about the only place I still use a spinning reel for trolling because a lot of times, once you find the fish, just stop trolling and cast into the weed beds along the edge.
Good luck GC

fishdude76
09-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Yeah I'm pretty dumb. I forgot we were using those last year. I think because I didn't get any action on them. Perhaps I was fishing them incorrectly or wrong size. I think you can go as big a like a size 6 or 8 if i'm not mistaken. Its a little fuzzy but starting to comeback to me now. I'm planning on being out there Saturday, anyone else?

Weez
09-01-2005, 09:40 AM
I think DFG regs would make a three-fly-team the legal limit. Scuds are important at Heenan for subsurface flies.

FishMischief
09-01-2005, 11:44 AM
I did well with the spoons last year. Gold & Red was the hot pattern for me as well.

FishMischief
09-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Ok I wanna hear some reports. *Today was the opener so by the end of the weekend we should have some good pics right?

GCinGV
09-02-2005, 09:16 PM
My buddy and I ended up with 14 today trolling spoons, biggest was 19. Most fish were 15 to 16. Nothing really photo worthy but the seasons early.
It was a typical early bite with a double hookup right out of the chute then slowly tapering off after the sun hit the water with spotty, hot and cold action until noon when we left.
The Lakes really high right now and there seems to be a lot more access for shore fishing then normal for those without boats or tubes.
Long day GC

FishMischief
09-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Thx I knew you'd post. Sounds like a great day. I may wait till later in October.