PDA

View Full Version : Lake Alpine

Ron_G.
08-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Went to Alpine today (Wednesday). When I got there a couple fellas told me about a "floater" who was trying to land one for the past half hour. I watched for a while and around 20 minutes later this fella came up with a Trout that was at least 28 inches and in the 10 Lb range.To put it mildly...it was HUGE. sorry, no pics. I went about my business and from the West bank past the camp grounds facing the dam, I proceeded to limit out in about 3 hours. I used both orange and rainbow pb. I invited the fish home for din-din. They accepted.

Ron

FreshwaterFrank
08-31-2005, 10:32 PM
They do trophy plants in Alpine every year for the annual trout Derby, and there's always a few lunkers around afterwards. A ten pounder would be exceptional, however. I think the lake record is 12+. I hit Alpine as soon after ice out as possible, every year, and I will generally find a big holdover. This year I got a 4.5 pound rainbow, & a nice 13" brown! The first brown I can ever remember catching in Alpine in 45 years! I'm thinking it was just down from Silver Creek & I happened to be in the right place at the right time? In 2001, I caught a 6lb.10oz. rainbow in the Derby. 5 minutes before the scales closed, a guy ran in with a 6lb.12oz. fish! I caught mine @ 6:30 AM & it sat in my boat, no ice... until they opened the scales @ 11:00. For sure it weighed a lot more when I caught it. I was robbed! First & last time I will ever participate in "competition" fishing. My prize was a free meal at the lodge, but I didn't use it that year & the next summer when I tried to cash it in, they said it was no good! Cheap SOB's, now I don't go to the stinking lodge anymore either. That big fish tasted great however, and it made fish tacos for about 10 people that night.

cool_hand_luke
09-01-2005, 10:35 AM
any of you guys get any reports about Spicer?while you were in the Area.....