PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake Trip Aug 26-29 (long version).

rfresema
08-30-2005, 12:02 PM
What a great first trip to Eagle Lake. Drove up on Friday Aug 25 with my bud Patrick and his gal Elvia. We went up highway 5 to Red Bluff and went east on 36 from there to near Susanville before making the turn north on road A1.
Great road conditions. Put the cruise control on after Sac and didn't touch the pedals until Red Bluff. We dropped the boat and trailer at the Eagle Lake marina and then drove up to Spalding.Stopped in at the General Store and the lady there says use these and we'll catch fish, so we bought some Sure Catch Red Dog spoons and headed over to the Lake
View Inn. Met Matt the new manager and Gary the owner. Very nice folks. Gary lives in the bay area and flys in now to help out on the weekends. It turns out my bud Pat has a connection with Gary through Gary's dry wall business. They say that Charles was previously leasing the place from Gary and now they are having to repair and clean almost everything there. Our rooms were clean and nice but no phone or TV (we were warned in advance). Matt says those items are on the list to put in. The AC didn't work in Pat's room but mine did. Matt and Gary asked us several times please tell them any issues. They were very responsive and so was the rest of the staff. I would stay there again. No problem. They will get things right.

Now on to the fishing. Excellent. We started trolling at 6:30 am Saturday near the bobber fleet at Eagle's nest. Our first fish came on the rod as we were letting out line. Another followed within minutes but then the bite died. We tried bobber fishing for an hour or so but no bites so went back to trolling and picked up more fish and quit at 11:30 one fish short. We saw the Fish Sniffer boat and crew out there and heard them on the radio. We got an earlier start on Sunday and got our lines wet by 6:10 am. Action was fast and furious and we were done by 7:30 am. We took a little boat ride and cleaned the fish then back to the dock by 8:30 and then went to the Inn for breakfast. All of our fish were 2 to 3 1/2 lbs. I couldn't believe the amount of fish we saw surfacing Sunday AM, even right next to our boat. They were absolutely everywhere on the east side of the lake.

We spent lots of time in the afternoon exploring and driving on the seemingly endless network of off road trails. Saw some really neat lava beds/lava rock
formations. We had to ask Elvia to get down after
climbing up some lava rocks when we heard what sounded
like rattlesnakes in the rocks.

We spent our evenings shooting pool and killing brain
cells in the Lake View Inn bar. The place was closed
Sunday evening but Matt opened up the bar just for us
and joined in our fun. He's not a bad shot either. He promised that the pool tables would be recovered soon and be like new. We saw lots of deer in Spalding in the evening including a group of three right outside of our rooms.

Lot's of activity at the airstrip, eleven planes came
in on Sunday. Fun to watch take off and land.

Packed up Monday and hit the road by 7:30am. Put the
cruise control on at Red Bluff and didn't touch the
pedals again until Woodland.

Boat ran a little rough at low rpm's (too rich for
that elevation). I don't know how to adjust it so we
lived with it.

Thanks to all of you sniffers for posting info and replying to my previous questions regarding this trip. The info helped make the trip easier to plan and catch fish.

Great trip in all, hope to do it again and bring my family.

Big Minnow out.

innovate
08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Big Minnow,

Did you happen to see an inflatable out there in Blue/Grey with a downrigger mounted on it? I saw the fishsniffer crew out by Eagle's Nest. We skunked that day. I tried fishing all depths of the water column for nothing. What depth were you fishing?

Roland

rfresema
08-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Roland, I don't remember an inflatable but I wasn't looking for one. I was in a tracker pontoon boat. Our early fish came on top and the rest came at 25 ft on the DR. We caught most on the Red Dog and a couple on a J7 rapala in trout pattern on a flatline 80' back.

innovate
08-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Oddly enough I was trailing around a trout patttern cd7 rapala 40-50 pulls with one hit - maybe the floater version was the ticket.

I trailed around different kinds of spoons on the DR from reds, chartruese to pink for nothing. Even tried Wedding Rings and a larger sized black wooly bugger. Used different dodgers from sidekick to 4/0. Nada.

Welp, I guess that's why they call it fishing and not catching :D

later,
Roland