PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lake  {please help}

fsh_on
08-21-2005, 03:23 PM
I just want to start out and say if you have fished Silver Lake you what a great place it is to fish,if you have not fished there you dont know what you are missing.My family and i are there 2 or 3 times a week its a great place to catch big fish and limits of planters.

As of January 1 2006 EL Dorado Irrigation District is considering to terminate Mona's land lease better known as Kay's Resort.They have been running the resort for the past 33 years.The lease could be going to a major company such as Kirkwood.If this happens we could see higher launching prices,more boat traffic,someone telling us what time we can get on the lake.We dont need another Caples Lake were it is 15 bucks to launch and John doesnt open the gate until 7:oo am except on sat it is 6:00 am.So if you dont want this great fishing place to change please help with keeping it the way it is.This family has worked for 33 years and have made this a great place ,lets not let it get taken over by a big company.If you would like to help please write your concerns to.

Ane E.Deister
EL Dorado Irrigation District
2890 Mosquito Rd
Placerville Ca 95667
or e-mail at admin@eid.org

Graybeardj
08-21-2005, 06:00 PM
I agree...where's money to be made, the big guys will come in and take it. Hope everyone can pitch in and help stop this.

JM

Durb
08-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I had heard a rumor a couple months back that Kirkwood Corp. had bottom a bunch of land around that general area that they plan on developing into a bunch of condos or something. I have not been able to confirm it though. I hope it is not true. I don't care if they develop around the ski resort. I do not want to see any big development around silver, caples or the valley near the entrance to blue. Leave it the way it is. >:(

roswalt
08-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Silver Lake is a real gem, I was under the impression that Silver was in Amador County a county known for speaking up about their area water, how it is to used, where it ends up, and so on. Is El Dorado county supporting this? I admit to being clueless as to h2o's disct. name. WoW Kirkwood huh,
would rather deal with a family owner than all that corp. crap.
Remember that nice little ski resort not far from Silver?
Iron Mountain ? I believe? what happend there, I heard they lost their lease as well. I really don't care a bit about sking, camping or anything for that matter in the snow, except..fishing. I bet all those that do head up there contribute properly to the very pleasant roads and conditions w/taxes and such, I'd fully support the peresent owners, but first ld' like to hear why,whatfors and so, on why they maybe gone?
thanks,
fishable.

fishdude76
08-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Silver Lake is a beautiful lake. I caught my first Brown there. I will always remember Silver for the beauty and my first Brown. I don't fish it much but I do know that anytime a boat launch limits you to when you can and can't go out on a public lake pisses me off. As far as I know Silver is public and as long as there is a launch it should be open 24 hours unless there is a hazard preventing it. I went out of Fallen Leaf a while back and come back to the boat launch at 8:30pm to find it chained off. Apparently they close that launch at 7pm. Why would you close the boat launch before the good fishing even starts??? Anytime people come in and put regulations on things that we should be able to determine ourselves (ie, when to get on or off the water), then they have taken one more freedom from us.

Weez
08-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Replying to put this message back up front. Where are the other Silver Lake, Amador County, CA anglers? A big corporation developing a side attraction to Kirkwood ski resort will not help your fishing experience at Silver.

troutfan
08-26-2005, 05:07 AM
What can we do to help? I've never fished Silver but considering it is just up the road from my house, I would like to in the future. :)

roswalt
08-26-2005, 04:16 PM
WEEZ there you are ! I would have never fished here without your F/S online stories, I could have died waiting for it to ice out this year too...I have been up 6 times from EG this my first year, The #1 trip I had no idea of "how it was" ya know? Ramps, where to fish what to fish..My first trip up I launched my canoe at the ramp, just wanting to be courteous...yet Linda pointed out I could launch directly across for free, at that time I reiterated a saying drilled into my head by my first employer.../NOTHING Bobby, NOTHING is FREE..2nd trip I did drop in across the way but stopped in and got drinks and snacks. And said thanks, again. to Linda, Thanks WEEZ ..You guys rock, BTW I traded the 17ft canoe for a 10 hp merc...for my lil 12' boaty,,
B-rrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Last trip left the big batt. and minkota home..getting smarter ,,,less cluttered, putting the fun in ...taking the work out..

back on top..

-fishable

fsh_on
08-26-2005, 04:56 PM
you guys can help by sending a letter or e-mail stating you concerns about this to the adress in the first post on this issue.we really need to try and stop the big guys from moving in.

SierraSkier
08-26-2005, 05:36 PM
I called EID today and was forwarded to Dave Egherton (sp) who later returned my call, but I was out. He is the assistant legal council for the EID. He maybe the lawyer who is working on this. I am not sure if he is the contact now or if we should still be writing Ane Deister.

R.I.P., have you had contact with EID yet?

This would be an absolute disaster for the lake if it goes through.

The_Big_Sinus
08-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Let me chime in on the realities of this...

Doubtful EID is looking to sell squat to Kirkwood- Kirkwood would want them to maintain consistently high lake levels in accordance with the results of the Sierra Club lawsuit, and would bring in a lot of wealthy condo owners that would likely have some Sierra Club affiliaitons among them. So, I doubt very much that's in the EID plan- remember, they are trying to find water for El Dorado Hills and Folsom- that's their mission.

More likely, EID will simply close the ramp down, declaring it unsafe. This will necessarily limit angler and rec user traffic, and drop the value of the USFS leases (existing cabins), and force users off the lake. The last "thorn" in EID's side at that point is the PG & E CG, and Plasse's resort (I think they actually own the land). EID may be able ot buy both, and then the feces will really hit the horizontal oscillator- probably abuse lake level at will and lobby the DFG to suspend or terminate plants.

Don't get me wrong, EID is not our friend, and remember, they get NOTHING from that lake, which is in Amador Co. (EDC does not get prop taxes or lease rev's). But, selling out to Kirkwood is not in their best interests, they will go straight to the screw job they've been after for the last 20 years.

They will horse trade with the DFG using the "new Caples boat ramp" as sufficient mitigation using the hookers they hired for the user surveys, claiming their isn't enough boater traffic to require access to both lakes. Then they will welch on building out the Caples improvements.

Bet on it. The EID is a very Machiavellian beast.