PDA

View Full Version : trout fishing around san jose

polybass
08-15-2005, 04:12 PM
is there any good trout fishing around san jose.

Flipper266
08-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Lexington Reservoir
Stevens Creek Reservoir
Loch Lomand Reservoir

Zepplock
08-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Try Bass and catfish for now.
Trout is tough now.

drift
08-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Stephens Creek Reservoir is pretty good in the Winter and in the Spring.

Numba1GI
08-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Penetencia Creek.
Smith Creek.
Isabella Creek.
Above Uvas Res. theres a creek with some fiesty little 6 inch brookies.

crestliner
08-16-2005, 05:41 AM
Hey watch it , Penetencia is closed to fishing !
Or at least most of it .
Check your Regs.......
There have been alot of regulations changed in the San Jose area this past year or two .
Mostly creeks etc ....
;)

drift
08-16-2005, 06:07 AM
Brookies, above Uvas!!!??! Are you sure they are brookies?

Numba1GI
08-16-2005, 06:53 AM
Yes they are brookies. Right above Sveadel. Thats all I ever get in any of those creeks. I have no idea how they got there, or if they are natural occuring. They obviously reproduce well because fishing is actualy good and I know they don't stock these creeks. You have to be real sneaky especialy in the summer. They are real skinny and put up a fuss when hooked. You won't get any over 8 inches. No different than what occurs in most of our high sierra streams. Most will be around 4 to 6 inches. Very beutiful healthy fish. Not a mark on em. You kinda forget your in San Jose. Or above it at least.

Duzwatido
08-16-2005, 08:54 AM
Only place to try this time of year is Loch Lomand, they stock Stevens Creek winter and spring. Campbell Perc ponds actually have some large fish in there, saw a couple 3lbrs come out of there. Fished Stevens Creek for years, usually fairly slow, dough baits and 1/4 oz kastmasters work well there. Biggest down side is the best fishing is from the dam, kind of boring fishing from a cement bank. Good luck.

fishhound
08-16-2005, 02:02 PM
try fishing deep with a marshmallo and a nightcrawler on a slide sinker rig off of coyote lake dam.

Wolf74
08-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Do they still stock Coyote Creek with trout? I remember I used to go there and catch them as a kid. However i checked the regs and it said that they don't allow fishing there. So I'm kinda confused.
Brookies above Uvas??? Hell if i'd known that when i lived 5 min away I would have been all over that.

14_blast
08-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Parkway might be a tad too far. I still remember cutting engineering class at SJSU to go fishing at Parkway ;D

Collegebound
08-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Coyote isnt stocked i dont think. Another good lake is cottonwood lake in hellyer park. They stock it around december with 1/2 to 3 pounders. but you got to get to them quick before the huge flock of comorants chomps them down.
At stevens creek res. you can really clean up on trout with a boat. A friend and I used to squeeze into a scull boat and troll there.Sitting cross legged for 3 hours hurts ;D ;D. Red and black rooster tails work great.
Mike

CenCoast_Angler
08-17-2005, 02:38 PM
Hush, hush on them brookies near uvas or we'll have yuppy scum crawling up croy road. Kidding...kinda. It IS true. There are brook trout in uvas creek and some of its tribs. I don't know how they got there but they seem to thrive. I've caught them all the way down by Bonfante Gardens---as well as upriver from uvas res. They don't plant uvas because there are steelhead present. Actually, you can still catch some nice steelhead/native rainbows trolling uvas w/kastmasters in May.
Coyote lake still gets planted with bows. Easy to catch near the dam or...up the river after a recent plant. The river above coyote is probably your best bet right now. You can catch nice-sized trout below the green bridge.
Coyote creek is fishable but no longer receives planters. Last time I was there I caught some nice rainbows though. Cast us the spillway trough with a cleo or kastmaster and see what ya get. Might be surprised. Thats also a good spot to collect some sculpin for san luis stripers. Or your aquarium, which may be illegal(not sure).
Another trout spot is below coyote dam. I've hiked from Coyote to Anderson a couple times and always found some rainbow-holding holes. And squawfish )-:
Good luck,
PK

Hooked
08-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Hi CenCoast_Angler,
I've always wondered about that little pond below the coyote dam. Is their a creek between it and Anderson?
How far is the hike between the 2 lakes and is there good fishing there?
Thanks

Wolf74
08-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Are you sure there's trout in Uvas?? I fished that quite often when I lived down there and I never caught one, nor did I ever hear of any coming out of there. Every time we talked trout it was up in Coyote or Parkway.

CenCoast_Angler
08-18-2005, 09:35 AM
The DFG stopped planting rainbows in Uvas back in 95 or 96 when they determined that steelhead still swim all the way up the river still(and steelhead became listed as endangered). But there are still some trout in there. I've seen some 5-plus pound steelhead making their way up the river...but only caught half-pounders during steelhead season(or perhaps resident rainbows).
There was a time when that pond below Coyote dam was THE place to catch monster bass. I think it was 96 or 97 when, after a long drought, the lake filled and started spilling over into the pond and creek below. Guys were pulling out 8 pound bass every week! It was crazy. You can fish it during trout season (last Saturday in April through November?) The best fishing now seems to be downstream of the huge pool below the dam. Follow the road around the left side until you reach a partially submerged bridge. You have to wade across but then you'll be on the dirt raod again for a while. Follow the little side trails towards the creek and you're bound to find some nice holes. If you want to go all the way to Anderson, you keep following the dirt road until you bush-whack up the hill on the south side to find another dirt roadthat is about 500 feet above the lake(anderson). Theres a small pond up there that is full of bass and panfish. It gets hot back there, so bring plenty water(or beer).
I think I'll go check out coyote this wknd. Haven't been down that road in a while.
PK

polybass
08-18-2005, 11:05 AM
thnx but where can i catch torut at penitencia creek

Wolf74
08-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Lol, I wish I knew all of this info a couple of years ago.

Numba1GI
08-19-2005, 02:39 PM
A little story:

I believe it was the spring of 97. Uvas spilled over that winter as it does some winters. Walked across the dam to the spilway and worked my way down to the deep hole at the bottom of it. Large stealhead get stuck here thanks to the dam. There was a derby going on run by Coyote Bait and Tackle. I was unaware of it at the time. Anyways, sparked up a doobie and proceded to tie on a kastmaster. I was up on the ledge on the far side of the hole behind some shrubs to conceal myself from the fish. I kinda side armed my cast to get around the bush. Just as my lure hit the water, WHACK!! A huge chrome bright fish swirled out from under the rocks and turned on my lure just literaly engulfing it. Now mind you I have on 4 lb ultra thin on a 5' ultra light rod! I proceded to tell my self to "calm down, its in a pool with no snags and nowhere to go". I clamered down the hill to the waters edge and proceded to let the fish do as it pleased. I was in control. When I finaly coaxed the fish to the waters edge, I sized up the situation. As he was opening and closing his mouth I shuved my hand in his mouth, out his gills and had a death grip on the sucka. I won.
As I was walking back across the dam, a colored fella asked me if i had any luck. I said yes. When he saw what I had he said "oh man whered ya get him?" I just pointed and said "over there". He then went on to tell me there was a derby going on for the largest trout caught and that so far the bigest was a 5 lbr caught outa parkway. So I went to coyote bait and tackle to show it off. Two days later I was awarded with a 100.00 gift certificate from cb and t.
In actuality it was a stealhead, but still qualified. They just didnt want to give the award to some triploid caught outa parkway. I totaly agree with them. I have baught all my tackle there since back when they were just a small outfit the size of a bedroom back in like 79'. They have always been awsome to me. I highly recomend this place.
Anyways it was a 8lb steelhead.

Numba1GI
08-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Hey wolf? There are trout in uvas. I caught 2 on freshwater clams. Just as cen coast angler says. You can sometimes see people trolling for them.
My experience with Penetencia Creek has been from Toyon and Mckee all the up through Alum Rock Park to the falls.
LOL. I know it sounds crazy!! Using Mckee and Toyon in the same sentence as Brook Trout!
You know I have always wondered why they dont plant all these creeks I mention with Rainbows. There are many non sesonal extremely cool running brooks, and creeks right here in our back yard.

Numba1GI
08-19-2005, 03:14 PM
Oh and its ok to say "yupee scum", because its true. All our bay area lakes are disgusting and filthy. People come over here and dont give a **** about our homeland, take our jobs for minimum wage and leave their trash all over. Like I said before I have my places I fish, and at these places I forget im in San Jose. I dont take any fish, and I leave any place I fish better than when I got there.

lake-troller
08-19-2005, 08:02 PM
They stocked Coyote Lake about July 1st. It was the only plant there this year. I fished it a week after. I caught 8 fish in the 10" to 13" class in an hour and a half. Went last week, no fish in 3 hours. Trolled top to bottom. Saw a couple of dead fish floating. I had 77 degree surface temp. I believe its over till next year.

Wolf74
08-19-2005, 08:53 PM
Well thats cool. I was always under the impresson that it was too warm in those lakes to hold trout. And like I said since i had never heard of them in there before I was always under the assumption that they were almost non-existant there. I had heard that a while back they had stocked them but the water temp had pretty much wiped them out or that they had turned into bass food. But I guess now I know better. Next time I'm down there I'll remember it.

Duzwatido
08-20-2005, 04:19 PM
To ensure we can fish these local creeks for a long time, catch and release! :) And clean up after yourself!

CenCoast_Angler
08-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Just don't get caught fishing blow Uvas dam now'a'days. That would result in a hefty fine---if caught. Granted, I've fished that hole too---when I was about 13. Caught some nice steelhead there--C+R. I think it might have been legal back then though.
I can't wait for steelhead season this year. I have a feelin its gonna be good this winter.
PK

Duzwatido
08-24-2005, 09:16 AM
CenCoast is correct, friend checked reg book and the creek from Uvas to 152 is closed year round. Be careful! :(

blue_chrush
08-24-2005, 06:30 PM
fish the outflow at the base of the dam at ANDERSON DAM.
there is some great fishing there and theres shade trees
and benches to sit at and easy parking and fish....lol

crestliner
08-25-2005, 06:05 AM
Again I say .
I think Penetencia is closed to fishing ?

I have fished alot of San Jose creeks since I was young .
I have never caught a Brook ?
Are you sure these are not the young Steelhead ?

Numba1GI
08-26-2005, 02:19 PM
I am positive they are brookies. I know a brookie when I see one. Very obvious differences from a stealhead. These brookies are redish with white bottoms, white tiped fins,large mouth,circles rather than spots, although there are spots. A very pristine pretty fish.
Dont make me have to go c & r one now. With a pic.
Cmon fish sniffer help us out here!! You guys must know someone. I want to know how they got there, and when.
My uncles are the ones who turned me onto this. After years of listening to their stories about Penetencia and Smith creeks, I finaly had to check it out for myself. After catching them myself, I had to explore other creeks. They only seem to occur in the well shaded creeks with rocks and boulders. At least this is where I caught them. The deeper pools.
Does anyone want to get together and do an investigation on this. Take some pictures? Water temp samples? Talk to old timers in the area? Fish and game doesnt seem to help out on the matter. They are surprised also. At least the young man I spoke with didnt seem to be very knowledgable about phenomenon.

CenCoast_Angler
08-26-2005, 03:09 PM
Hey Numba1GI,
Do I know you from somewhere? Are you in the Corps? I want to get some pics of those brooks now cuz I know everyone reading this thread is doubting the validity of our statements about brookies in Uvas Creek. I KNOW there are some in there. If they aren't brookies then they are brook/rainbow hybrids. I've got my rod and underwater camera ready to go prove everyone wrong. I migth go up there tomorrow. If not, then I won't be able to make it up there until the wknd of Sept 10th---deep sea fishing Sunday, then Lake San Antonio drunkeness next wknd!
I just wish I had some pics of those little brookies I used to catch back in the day.
See ya,
PK

Wolf74
08-26-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm sure if you contact the DFG you they might be able to help you and and tell you how they got there. Or at least they should, thats what I pay my licence money for.