PDA

View Full Version : Irritating Litter

fishnhockey
08-18-2005, 08:12 PM
While we had an absolutely wonderful trip on the carson(s), I couldn't help but notice and trip over all kinds of garbage. Some cans, but what really bothered me was the huge amount of fishing related stuff. Empty worm containers, wrappers from lures, line wrapped up and then tossed aside. Is it that hard to take this stuff out with you? For a group that is so close with nature and requires it to be in balance to enjoy their hobby/sport, they sure aren't taking very good care of it.
Just needed to vent.

Mark_Damron
08-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Great post! I've noticed a lot of fishing related trash at some of my favorite lakes. I pick up what I find and toss it in a trash can on my way out. I know it's not SNIFFERS doing this. It's most likely going to be a SNIFFER cleaning it up. That's the type of people we have here. PHM

FishMischief
08-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Anytime I am out on foot now I keep some shopping plastic bags in my pocket and pick stuff up along the way.

skipper
08-18-2005, 08:58 PM
I share your concerns fishnhockey. It never ceases to amaze me the garbage left on the banks and in the lakes and rivers. Lets face it, there's just a few lazy slobs that ruin it for every one. It's very difficult to catch and prosecute these types. I will pick up trash and carry it out when I find it but it really pisses me off to think some people are just to dang lazy to clean up after themselves. Just venting too. ---fish hawk

troutfan
08-19-2005, 07:04 AM
Anytime I am out on foot now I keep some shopping plastic bags in my pocket and pick stuff up along the way.

You are to be commended for your efforts. Unfortunately many people are pigs!

gonfishin
08-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Right on "Crazed" & "Hawk" I live across the street from the Truckee River and often find trash dumped by some of our "finest" citizens. I used to just get angry about it! I eventually decided I could either just get angry or do something about it. I too now carry out as much trash as my net will hold each time I visit the river. It's good therapy and makes me less aggravated when I go back to my "cleaned up" favorite spots. Being a fisherman & therefore superstitious, I have to think the clean up efforts are bringing me some good Karma because I have been tremendously successful as of late with the fishing. I'll close with "Report Violators" to the local authorities if you observe someone littering.

badbobfishing33
08-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Yeah what's up with that....a recent trip to Caples we were fishing the inlet and found at least 5 worm cans and beer cans scattered brand new someone just got lazy ... I packed them up and took them in the boat back.

Duzwatido
08-19-2005, 08:32 AM
Thank you to all of you that pick up after other people. I too pack out other peoples trash. It is amazing how disrespectful people are to our beautiful lakes and rivers.

RBC
08-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Dito Fishnhockey and Duzwatido. Seems like I pack out a net full of garbage every time I bank fish. Doesn't matter what lake or stream. Just think what our lakes and rivers would look like if we didn't do it.

Reel_burner
08-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Good luck "reporting violators". I had 400 yards of my property trashed by someone from an ajacent county who was hauling her refuse to our tranfer station (illegal) in an uncover load (illegal) and lost two bags.

I picked it up (except for the can with the razor sharp lid attached which I found my horse munching on the next day) and collected mail with address, bank receipts, club card receipts all with the same person's name on them. There was broken glass and biohazzards (unsanitary napkins) all over the road and my neighbor's properties.

I bagged it all, dried the evidence, and called the Sheriff who came and took "a report".

I called the next day to find out what they intended to do about it and I was told that the DA wouldn't prosecute because it couldn't be proved that it was intentionally dumped. BS! They said that I would have to take the matter up with the CHP because it was on a State highway. I told them exactly how I felt about that and that I wanted the evidence (receipts etc.) returned so that I could give it to the CHP (I had even put it in a zip lock so that it didn't smell up their office or car). "Oh we threw that stuff away."

I still had the address written down and the two bags full of garbage. I wanted to take it over there and spread it all over their property but I figured that I would probably be arrested and fined if I did (not to mention the associated bad Karma that would befall me).

Just be good out there and pick up after all these low lifes. You will be rewarded in the end... 8)

fishrman4life
08-20-2005, 12:37 AM
oink friggin oink.....pigs

wetdog
08-20-2005, 06:52 AM
Put all on a buss and take'em to the DUMP let'em fish in the outhouses the'll be right at home ! ;)

somebody
08-20-2005, 09:04 AM
my wife was picking trash and came across a syringe w/needle and accidently pricked her finger. she had to get a series of shots for hepatites so be carefull. as well as pigs lets not forget poachers

Hooked
08-23-2005, 01:17 PM

I started doing the same afew years back. It irritate the #$@ out of seeing all this trash. But I think if weeach one of us took a plastic bag and picked up what he/she finds till it's full then put it in the trash container would be a great help. I know the amount of trash coulsd be overwhelming but don't let that discourage you. just one bag will help in the long run.

Ikan_Mas
08-23-2005, 05:20 PM
You'd probably find the litter bugs are the ones without licenses, taking more than the limit.

johnbfishin
08-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Garbage is a pisser for sure. It ain't gonna stop so all one can do is pick up what they can. It does make a difference.

FishinFool408
08-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Yup, these inconsiderate a$$holes throw their rubbish everywhere and don't even think twice about it. >:( It's such an eyesore to go out fishin and see garbage all over the place! :'( It ruins the experience of gettin' out to the beautiful outdoors! Like the saying goes, "if you pack it in, pack it out!' It's true, any garbage picked up makes a difference. I never got into the practice of picking up other people's trash, although I've always picked up after myself. After seeing my fishin buddy, h00kie, taking the time to go around and make a difference by picking up garbage some time ago, I thought to myself, "you have definitely fallen off your rocker for picking up after someone else!" :o Since then, I have done my part by picking up other people's sh_t every time I go fishing. I don't appreciate doing it, but like many of you mentioned, it does bring a great sense of peace to my being as well as the karma factor of it all! :D

BassFooler
08-24-2005, 12:38 PM
In the past five or six years I have really begun to pay more attention to the stuff floating around me when I'm fishing- I do similar to Gonfishin with my net except I use it to grab stuff out of the lake when Im trolling by; clothing, cans, worm 'tainers- you name it- I just dont get it. I has really started to eat at me that that are so many people with such a blatant disrespect for our land and waters. Eff'ers.

-BF

johnbfishin
08-24-2005, 03:52 PM
*It has really started to eat at me that that are so many people with such a blatant disrespect for our land

I hear ya Bassfooler, during the winter I fish the Bay area lakes, mostly Chabot, Shadow Cliffs and Del valle.
The fishing is what it is but I really like to be out before sunrise and watch the dawning of a new day. I pick up the garbage that is around me every frickin time I go (at least once a week). I'm usually heading home by 9:00 or 10:00am and undoubtedly pass some of the lazy SOB's arriving who's garbage I'll pick up the next time. This used to really piss me off till I realized it's what I do to enhance my own relaxation time while outdoors.

JD
08-25-2005, 06:37 PM
In my travels to other states I have decided CA has the biggest trash problem. It seems people just don't care. I see parents watching the kids littering and doing nothing about it. Sad

gonfishin
08-25-2005, 08:19 PM
The beat goes on! Visited my favorite hole in the "Trophy" C & R, single barbless hook, artificial lures only section of the Truckee today. Found a new pile of trash to include, soda cans, worm containers, snelled hook packages, plastic bags. Put it all in my net and packed it out. Fish count was down somewhat most likely because the poaching slobs failed to observe the "special regulations" and probably took a bunch of fish home. Note to self, start carrying cell phone while fishing to report poachers/litterbugs!

johnbfishin
08-25-2005, 08:23 PM
That's a fact JD. I've put on a smiley face and handed the kids a trash bag and helped pick up, all the while waiting for a challenge from the...adult? So far it hasn't come. 8)

vvbob
08-26-2005, 07:31 AM
What irritates me the most is "They wouldn't leave it if it was a full can,or bag". The sloppy pigs would find a way to carry it >:(
Took a trip cross country to Illinois this summer, didn't see 1/10th the litter along the roads as good old liberal Calif!

grizzley
08-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Signs all over calif. "Fine for littering $1000".When is the last time you heard of, read in the paper, or seen with you own eyes, someone being fined for littering??

I have never seen it done in Lake County. How about the rest of you??
How about a sniffer campaign to turn in litter bugs, "Help keep Calif green and clean, turn in a litter bug"