PDA

View Full Version : Bucket dragging?

724fishin
08-22-2005, 11:19 AM
I have a question.

I have a new family "play" boat and the slowest it will run at is about 2.5 kts. I would like to do some trolling from the boat and I know that is too fast. Seeing as how it is a family play boat I am sure I am going to have to be a bucket dragger. It is something I have never done before and am looking for suggestions on how to do it. Round bucket, square bucket, holes in bucket, swivel, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
724fishin

SuperDave
08-22-2005, 11:31 AM
724, it is a matter of opinion whether 2.5 is too fast. My last boat wast probably right around 2.5 at idle and I caught a lot of fish doing laps around the guys going 1 to 1.5. BUT, I feel your pain! I always wanted to be going slower if I could. I'm, personally, an anti bucket guy as I have too many vivid images of fish tangling in the rope. No consideration for trolling plate?

fresnofshfan
08-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Ahh the good ol okie trolling plate ;D
I just got a Happy troller and couldnt be happier. I got one for 25$ from Craigs list. If the trolling plate isnt the way you want to go try this...

My boat has a ring on the port & starboard side at the bow for dock lines ect. I picked up two 3 gal(aprox) buckets drilled one nice hole in each and tied them to the bow rings with about 2ft of line. Just enough so the bucket is submerged. I had the dragging near the middle and rear but thats too much to get tangled. Just my .02

FFF

Fishmeister
08-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Drug a bucket for many years until I broke down and got an electric.

First you want a 20 gal garbage can with sturdy molded in handles. Tie a rope between the two handles and long enough to be able to tie a loop in the exact middle of the rope. Tie a rope about 8 ft long from the middle of the back of your boat to the loop on the garbage can rope. This will slow you down to under 1MPH at idle and best of all will keep the boat on a straight course, no wobbling all over. I tried every bucket method I ever heard of and this worked by far the best. Never got a fish tied up in the can or it's lines.

bobberdown14
08-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Plastic five gallon buckets work but the plate is much nicer.

Brettski
08-22-2005, 04:16 PM
I like the idea of the buckets off the bow! GOOD IDEA!!

lake-troller
08-22-2005, 05:18 PM
If you are not worried about top end, you could change the prop. This would slow you down some, plus you would have a spare. I used to trim my I/O all the way up and shave a little more off my speed.

The trolling plate is by fare the best way to go.

PickLeNose
08-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Ahhhh come on, I want to see someone dragging a big metal trash can all over the lake :)

ghostfish_slayer
08-22-2005, 07:16 PM
a drift sock might work.

BigB
08-22-2005, 08:06 PM
I agree with a trolling plate. I have a 19' Fourwinns and I used to drag one or two buckets when trolling. I have since installed a spring loaded trolling plate to it. the plaate slowed the boat down much better that the buckets did.

Brian

willbilly
08-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Grandpa in the 60's used a 1"x12" and c-clamps -Worked on his 15' ;D

CHICKFISHING58
08-23-2005, 08:13 AM
or you could get a fishing boat ;D ;)

BassFooler
08-24-2005, 12:49 PM
or you could get a fishing boat ;D ;)

LMAO...Chick's diggin in! ;D ;D

Empire
08-24-2005, 03:28 PM
If you drag plastic buckets, put a few stones in them. When you slow the boat the buckets will sink out of the way and you are less likely to lose a fish due to tangling in the bucket line.

If the rocks fall out you can get them real cheap on the shoreline.

blue_chrush
08-24-2005, 06:28 PM
the bucket trick only works if you drill about doz or more
1/2" holes in the botton of the buckets....otherwise its not as good....

happy troller is a trolling plate and will get you from
2.8 down to 1.4 in a new york min....lol
I love mine....and it helps plane the boat too.....

and 2.8 is fast....but make no mistake you can get trout
at that speed...lol
a week ago I broke the clip and had to troll the last 1.5hrs of daylight at shasta and we still caught 4 fish at
a 2.5/2.8 and I couldn't belive it, all fish were bigger too....lol

get a trolling plate...happy troller

14_blast
08-24-2005, 08:39 PM
I seriously doubt if you'll outrun a trout even if you're trolling at 2.5mph....what I think it'll do is that the bite will most likely be a reaction bite, the lure will be going by real quick and it's either take it or don't take it. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather troll at 1.2mph if given a choice...also, I like to see them following the lures (when I'm using a downrigger) before they strike.

SuperDave
08-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Per my initial post, I caught a lot of fish at 2.5 and I seemed to lose a lot less of my hook ups.

724fishin
08-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

I know that ultimately a trolling plate is the way to go. At this point I think my wife might have a massive coronary if she saw me drilling holes in "her" brand new boat. Maybe next year. I think I will have enough problems when I bring home the boat smelling of fish.

I will do some experimenting this weekend. I like the idea of putting some stones in the bucket.

724fishin