PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Lake Reports/Tips/Advice

jefe74
08-15-2005, 12:28 PM
I'm heading up to Cherry Lake for the weekend, and wanted to know if anyone has been up there lately?

Any reports/tips/advice for getting on the fish would be much appreciated, as I'm taking my 7 year old up there for his first trolling trip.

We went up a few weeks ago and camped right on the middle fork of the Tuolumne and killed them with Crickets.

We pulled two nice browns in the 14-16" range. (Biggest I've ever seen out of that river) We also pulled 4 or 5 rainbows in the 17-20" range.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

HOOF
08-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Last time I was there was like 2 months ago but the same thing always works-I usually troll a red homemaid wedding ring w/crawler w/no flashers or dodgers if the fish are in the top 25 feet water-I use a rigger to get it to em..If deeper I will go w/ a small chrome/green dodger.Upriver and by the dam always works-also off the big island

jyang
08-15-2005, 07:26 PM
I was up there about 3 weeks ago. I was catching them on J-7 Rapalas(black/white and green/white) about 20ft down using downriggers. All my fish came near the inlet.

badbobfishing33
08-22-2005, 12:06 PM
so how was cherry? Whats the water temp like? Heading up soon...can't wait!!

jefe74
08-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Cherry was great, but I didn't get to fish the lake much.

Water pump went out on the boat 10 minutes after we launched on friday afternoon.

I caught one 10" raindbow from the face of the damn over by the spillway.

Talked to a few people as they came in off the lake, and it sounded like the fishing was slow.

Not sure of an exact temp. but the water seemed pretty warm up top. My guess would be that the fish are down pretty deep.

I ended up fishing the main Tuolomne River between Early Intake, and the confluence with Cherry Creek.

I caught between 15 and 20 rainbows and 1 German Brown. I released all but three of the rainbows, because they swallowed the hook, and were bleeding pretty bad. Crickets were the bait of the day for the rivers.

badbobfishing33
08-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Was the water pretty high at Cherry how's the launch???

badbobfishing33
08-23-2005, 08:46 AM
We had good luck trolling white grubs last time...got some really nice fatties....! 20-30 feet

jefe74
08-23-2005, 03:33 PM
The water in the lake is starting to go down some.

The water line is below the asphalt on the launch, so you have to back in a ways on the exposed dirt to get the boat floating.

Still pretty easy to launch in my opinion.