PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe help..?

skunk-monkey
08-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Am heading up to South Tahoe next weekend, bringing a boat and am planning on doing some trout fishing. I've never really fished the lake seriously before though (because I didn't know about the Fishsniffer forums!)and would love any basic advice on good places/techniques for Rainbow, and maybe Browns if they're active this time of year.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Weez
08-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Skunkmonk-

Bad news is that on most of the lake, this is pretty much the worst possible month for rainbows and browns. There's a reason that any of the charter guys who advertise rainbow/brown fishing add 'spring and fall' to their claim.

Good news for little fish is that many thousands of small (8 to 10 inch) rainbows have been stocked off Cave Rock recently. These can be caught fishing shallow with plugs or using flashers or dodgers ahead of nightcrawlers or minnows, from Zephyr Cove to Dead Man's Point and beyond. You also have a shot at picking up a better rainbow or even a brown or mack in these areas with these presentations.

Check the kokanee and mackinaw message boards for info on fishing these species at Tahoe.

harkino
08-21-2005, 10:04 PM
Just tried Tahoe for the first time on Fri and Sat Morning. On Friday I launched from Sand Harbor and caught just one rainbow just trolling south along the shore. On Sat launched from Lake Forest, nothing. The lake is huge and very intimidating. I enjoyed the scenery more than the fishing. The east side was easier to fish because of the lakes more natural landscape. The North West end is so developed I didn't know where to fish ???. Headed to Silver in the PM and caught a Brown and Stocker.

Cooked up both the red meat Tahoe rainbow and Silver Rainbow Stocker for dinner. The Tahoe fish tasted way better.

The worst part of Tahoe is the Launch Ramps, they are zoos.

Have fun....

skunk-monkey
08-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Ack. Well, any suggestions as to where else might be good? After last weekend at Union Valley (ten Kokes for three guys) I'd be tempted to drag the boat down there in the morning! Either way, my wife and kids still get to play on the beach.