PDA

View Full Version : Speed

MrFisher
08-17-2005, 08:54 AM
Hello
Yes I'm new to this board . First post. Question ?

I remember droping a bobber in the water at the front of the boat and timing it till it reached the stern. Its been a wile (18 years, LOL), does anyone remember what the formula to tell how fast you are troling. Or if you know another way you think is better or easier.
I'd be beholdant ta ya for any help.
Thanks ???
Robin

Oxbow
08-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Try this:

(1.46) X (length of boat in feet/time in seconds) = mph

AllFishNoWork
08-17-2005, 11:32 AM
That is cool Oxbow that you knew that off the top of your head. :D
But what the heck does "beholdant" mean? ???

BassFooler
08-17-2005, 11:49 AM
beholden in owing somebody- kinda like- I O U one..

Oxbow
08-17-2005, 02:07 PM
I didn't know it ALLFISH nor had I ever thought of trying it, I just calculated it. :o

MrFisher
08-18-2005, 06:03 AM
Thanks
I remember the 1.46 now that you posted it.
I Guess now I have to admit to being a real big dummy even after you told me..I'm still cornfused on the formula. LOL

Ok

(1.46) X (time in seconds/length of boat in feet) = mph

1.46 X 9 sec = 13.14 divide 17 = .77
1.46 X 12 sec = 17.52 divide 17 = 1.03

Thought / ment divide
Shoot thats not right, feeling real dum now.

Could you spell it out a little better for this dummie.
Thanks ,Oxbow
Robin

drstressor
08-18-2005, 07:11 AM
The 1.46 is a conversion to miles per hour from feet per second. (5280 feet in a mile/3600 seconds in an hour = 1.4667). Multiplying that by seconds per foot (x seconds/foot of boat length)gives the speed in miles per hour.

Your math is correct.

MrFisher
08-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Ok I get it now. Thanks
17'boat divide by 12 sec =1.4166 X 1.46676 = 2.07 mph
17'boat divide by 9 sec =1.888 X 1.46676 = 2.77 mph
Guess I have to get the 9.9 kicker running or drag the wife behind the boat to slow down ,LOL. I'm still too fast
Thanks for yours and everyone elce's help.

Robin

May you polls stay bent and your lines never break.

AllFishNoWork
08-18-2005, 11:57 AM
I must have ditched school the years they were teaching math ;D but
Back to the original question...
would the same formula work for passing a stationary object(rock, ramp, etc,...)? and wouldn't that be more acurate than the bobber(plus you wouldn't have to cruise back to pick it up)?

drstressor
08-18-2005, 12:11 PM
Yep. A stationary object would probably be better since it would not be affected by wind. But there aren't very many of them out in the middle of the lake. ;D

MrFisher
08-18-2005, 04:57 PM
I've always cheeted and put the bobber on a casting rod line. Theres always an extra poll on my boat. Just in case I don't catch anything good. I can always catch a bass and not come in compleetly skunked .LOL ::)

I thought school is ware the girls were, were we sopsta learn something elce there? ;D
Good luck My Friend
Robin

Hiking-Jay
08-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Using a stationary object would give you your speed relative to that object (ie. the ground), but if you want to know your water speed, the bobber method is your trick. Just beause you are moving 1.5 mph past a dock does not mean that's how fast your water speed is. What if the current speed is 1 mph? Then your lure is travelling at .5mph relative to the water (assuming you are going down stream, 2 mph if headed upstream).

drstressor
08-19-2005, 10:20 AM
It is safe to assume that here are no significant currents in most parts of lakes. The wind can move a bobber or any other non-stationary object and distort the calculation of speed of the boat through the water. As far as lure action and catching fish goes, it is the speed that the lure is moving through the water that counts. Of course, ocean or river currents complicate matters. The speed of the current at the depth a lure is working is usually not known. So you need to resort to trial and error and eventually to experience.

RBC
08-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Learn something new everyday.

Irish
08-19-2005, 03:40 PM
For those of us who are math impaired you might try tying a cord to a piece of wood. Tie a knot in the cord every 47 feet and let the piece of wood float out behind the stern of your boat at the same time letting out the cord. Let the wood drift out for exactly 30 seconds and then stop and count the knots in the cord. Each knot is 1 nautical mile or 1.1 miles per hour. If 30 seconds passes before you reach the first knot. Stop and unhook your bow line from the dock. Hope this helps. ;D ;D ;D :D

Hiking-Jay
08-19-2005, 04:27 PM
That's exactly how old sailing ships determined their speed, hence the term "knots"

Farrier_Frank
08-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Take a break from complicating fishing, folks. ::) Forget the math. Forget the knots and bobbers floating by. Throw the setup you think is going to catch fish behind the boat (with enough water to let it sink) and watch how it moves. If you like what you see snap it onto the downrigger and send it down. Once it's out of sight you're at the mercy of the driver of the boat anyway - and the wind, and lack of wind, and the following wind, and drift, and tides; and anything else Mother Nature can throw at you to keep you from maintaining the perfect 1.4 mph speed you think is going to catch fish that day. And that's a good thing because I don't believe any one specific speed on any given day is the right speed all day long anyway. Actually, I don't think constant speed at any point in the day is the way to go. Unless you're in the vicinity of fish ready to snap at anything that passes by you need to hunt for them. The best to be caught will usually take a bit of effort - and variable speeds are definitely a tool that works.

wetdog
08-19-2005, 06:10 PM
Frank is 110% right ;) keep it simple ...and don't forget the WORMS ! ;) ;D

drstressor
08-19-2005, 07:26 PM
That's what I mean by experience. No matter how much you know or think you know about fishing, it all comes down to what worked in the past. This is the starting point for what is most likely to work on any given day. Looking at the lure or bait is generally better than listening to what someone else tells you about trolling speed.

BTW, somebody once called me "Jamie Moyer" because of the way I change speeds when I troll. The trick is to pay attention to how fast you were going when you hook up. Then go back and do it again.

But worms? :-/ Worms are counter-revolutionary. If you can't fool them with lures, you're not playin' the game. ;D

wetdog
08-20-2005, 06:01 AM
Worms, when noth'n else is work'n worms WILL,GOT WORMS?...P/S did'nt ever think of it as a game...more a way of life...come on Doc don't be a worm basher...after all in the long run aren't we all just worm food anyway ? :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D

drstressor
08-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I know they work. I still resort to their use on occasion. But it's like admitting defeat. ;)

When I was a kid, a friend and I used to poach enormous browns out a "flies only" trophy trout river in Vermont by fishing worms on the bottom all night long. So I guess I still feel like I'm cheating when I use them. ;D

wetdog
08-20-2005, 10:13 AM
One mans meat is another mans poison ;)

Split_shot_1
08-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Getting complicated, just yell at the guy in the boat next to you and ask how fast he is going (believe him if he has fish, don't if he doesn't)

gone fishin
08-21-2005, 10:17 AM
I thank God for my GPS....The satellites do not see the wind,waves and currents. It tracks my units speed to the T.... ;D ;D

drstressor
08-21-2005, 06:25 PM
Sure Ron. As long as your boat is moving in a perfectly straight path. When was the last time that happened? ;)

People get a nice secure felling seeing the steady speed numbers on a GPS. But they are not accurate in an absolute sense. But since most people weave about the same amount when ever they try to steer a straight course (as long as the wind and waves don't change), the numbers are useful once they find a speed that catches fish. But if they are really trying to catch fish, they shouldn't be steering in a straight path anyway.

The most accurate method for measuring speed through the water is that Luhr Jensen thingamajig that hangs a ball over the side and gets in the way of everything.

AllFishNoWork
08-22-2005, 03:39 AM
Getting complicated, just yell at the guy in the boat next to you and ask how fast he is going (believe him if he has fish, don't if he doesn't)

or if you are passing all the other boats and have no fish you may be going to fast

HollyWentFishin
08-22-2005, 06:00 AM
Oh my god, it must be way too early to be reading this thread..one time I got curious how fast the trolling motor was moving us, so Mickey matched us and gave us our speed. That's about as complicated as I wanna get :)

nrvi
08-22-2005, 06:21 AM
And I thought the thirty-five things to remember when addressing a golf ball was complicated???

drstressor
08-22-2005, 07:27 AM
It's much simpler than golf. Just watch the lure. That'll give you better info than any of the gadgets.

AllFishNoWork
08-22-2005, 11:53 AM
and make sure all your change is in your left pocket and if you go OB you must walk at least 2 holes with your shoes untied