PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Lake 8/11-8/15 NOW WITH PICS!!

HSUSteelie
08-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Eagle Lake treated us good once again with limits on most days.

Friday was a little hard, it was the first time we had fished it this year, and things do tend to change. We started off trolling right out of Eagles nest towards Miner's point we had a few hits early, but no fish until 10am. Both were caught on white tui chub imitations at 4 colors up to 2lbs 4 oz.

Saturday was a different story, the fishing was considerably better with fast action up until 9am when in shut off. On my boat we had limits, all on fluorescent orange flies trolled between 10' early on and deeper once the sun hit the water. The fish weighed in up to 2lbs 6oz. My dad's boat ended up with three fish, on white flies up to 2lbs 10oz. I believe they were fishing a little deeper at 25-30' most of the time. We both were still fishing just north of the Nest. We never did see or fish the bait ball in the middle that BMII mentioned.

Sunday was slower on my boat, we had to work hard to scrape out two fish up to 2lbs 9oz. The color on Sunday was white once again (always has been a consistent producer throughout the years. Dad's boat ended up with limits on white as well fishing the same depth as Sat north of the Nest. Their biggest was 2lbs 10oz again.

Today I fished with my dad and the fishing was slower than it was on Saturday but the fish were bigger with the biggest being 3lbs, we ended at 9am with 3 fish. White yet again was the hot color - all the fish were caught on it at depths between 10-30ft.

I did see BMII on the water, never got close enough to say hi (I also didn't have a radio which would have been helpful to locate the bait on Saturday). His boat is easy to spot, unlike my old little boat. We did try vampire rapals, but didn't get one hit on it. I think the size was the difference we were using f9's which are quite larger than f7's.

All in all it was good trip up to Eagle and the Family cabin, the fishing was good and time with the family was even better. I will be back up there on Labor Day for the weekend. I will try and have some pictures posted tomorrow.

HSU Steelie

BITE_ME_II
08-15-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm always willing to say Hi!! just pull up or give me a wave sorry we missed you, Doc and I tried looking for you on Sunday near Miners when we were done doing some experiments with water temps and stuff!

BITE ME II
8) 8)

badbobfishing33
08-17-2005, 12:49 PM
What no pics????? ???

HSUSteelie
08-17-2005, 04:26 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5919/pict00460yr.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1840/pict00247wn.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7346/pict00430qj.jpg

Eric_csus14
08-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Think it would be worth it to give it a shot on the bank? ANy tips?

troutfan
08-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Think it would be worth it to give it a shot on the bank? ANy tips?
I would wait till the temps cool off alittle then fish the Marina.

Eric_csus14
08-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Awsome, thanks for the heads up Troutfan

OTDRSMN
08-18-2005, 03:41 PM
In the fall try fishing from the shore at Youth Camp. I have a relative that fishes there every year and limits out using crawlers either with a bobber if the fish are on top or a sliding sinker and inflated crawler if they're on the bottom. ;)

Graybeardj
08-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Hey...Although I'm from California, I haven't been back home in 20 years. The fishing tackle has changed a lot since then, so I just have to ask...what the heck are "inflated crawlers?"

GraybeardJ

drstressor
08-18-2005, 08:23 PM
They just blow a little air into the worms with a syringe so that they float off the bottom with a sliding sinker rig.

Trout don't see bait on the bottom as well as when it is suspended in the water column.

Mark_Damron
08-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Those pictures are putting me over the edge!! I've still got 45 day's until I get up to Eagle. Thanks for the pictures. PHM

ChabotTrout
08-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Gray, you can buy a worm blower at mostly any fishing store. It looks like an Elmers Glue Bottle with a needle on top. Also you should try to get a worm threader. Thread it on and blow up the tip and it will be fish on all day. ;)
ChabotTrout

HSUSteelie
08-19-2005, 03:57 PM
I have never seriously fished from shore at Eagle, but what everyone has told you seems to be the going practice for late season fishing at Eagle. Another spot that I don't think has been mentioned is the rock wall at Galitan Marina. It is good before the water gets too cold, but once it does the youth camp and north is your best bet. Now there is a fishing dock at the Spaulding launch ramp that may be worth a shot later in the year. Inflated crawlers is a good bet all over the lake.