PDA

View Full Version : Lure advice

Hiking-Jay
08-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Being new to California, I haven't fished too many lakes yet. But, I'll be headed to Bucks Lake near Quincy this Wednesday and I'm not sure what to pack. I'll be staying at the Sundew Campground on the north edge of the lake and I'll be shore fishing. I have lots of different types of powerbait for when I'm feeling lazy, but I'm wondering what types/colors of lures you would recomend for shore fishing. In Arizona I used to use a black and silver Rooster Tail and chrome or rainbow trout colored Z-rays with good success. I'm not too concerned about catching monsters, but I'd like to catch something! Thanks!

AllFishNoWork
08-18-2005, 12:01 PM
Welcome to California Jay. I've never been to Bucks nor do I throw much from shore. There are others that do and I'm sure they will chime in soon. Good luck!

ctsron
08-18-2005, 12:56 PM
H J- throw what you got! *Do you have a california 2 rod stamp? If so, go one with bait (PB & crawler) and toss lures with the other ;)

OTDRSMN
08-18-2005, 03:23 PM
I've fished Bucks lake for many years. If I had only one lure to use at that lake it would be a lure called a "Jakes Lure" in gold with red dots. It has a great action and you can cast it a mile from shore because it's a heavy lure. Both the Marina and the main stores at the lake should have them in stock.

I've caught browns, rainbows, brook trout and mackinaw on this lure at Bucks. In fact the 4th of July weekend I caught two 3lb Macks on a gold Jakes. They come in other colors (black, silver and white) and I've caught them on every color but the gold color is by far the most consistent.

Other lures to try would be small to medium sized rapalas or Z-rays in gold with red dots or bright orange. Also if your bait fishing I would try using an inflated nightcrawler with a small to medium sliding sinker. I've caught some really nice fish at Bucks on that set up. Put some scent on it too to really get the fish to check it out! :D

When you go to the Marina talk to DeWitt Henderson or his wife and they will gladly let you know what the fish are biting on and where they're catching them. Right in front of Sundew is a good spot and also check out going down to the Millcreek campground where there is a trail that takes you to the mouth of the river and the lake. This is a great spot and you'll usually see lots of boats fishing that area.

Make sure that you have a reservation for the campground as the sites fill up quickly, especially the shore sites! You'll be hard pressed to find a more beautiful lake where you can catch browns, rainbows, kokanee, brook trout and mackinaw! ;)

ratss427
08-18-2005, 03:54 PM
in my experiece,the best lures for blind shore casting in california is the 1/4 oz kastmaster in gold and silver blue.a black /gold panther martin and a cd-7 rapala in gold/black.these lures will allow you to cover a lot of water.and should get you bit. good luck

Hiking-Jay
08-18-2005, 04:06 PM
Sounds great! Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I'll get a shore site at Sundew. On the Forest Service web site they say that Sundew does not accept reservations. Considering I plan on getting there early Wednesday, I think my odds should be as good as they get as far as camping goes.

OTDRSMN
08-18-2005, 04:16 PM
You'r right about reservations! I was thinking of another lake! :-[

If you go that early you should be fine in finding a great shore spot at Sundew! If not check out the Millcreek campground. If you have a tent go across the little bridge and there are two great private camp spots right on the shore! :D

keviwa
08-19-2005, 08:05 AM
1/4OZ. KASTMASTERS! YOU SHOULD NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THEM!!!

Duzwatido
08-19-2005, 08:29 AM
My go to lure is a 1/4 oz gold Kastmaster, amazing how those fish love gold metal