PDA

View Full Version : 8-12-14 Eagle Lake

BITE_ME_II
08-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Just got back from Eagle, went up to clear my head before I start Chemo on Monday a.m., Took my daughter and her best friend. First to answer Reno Ragarms question, My daughters best friend on Friday morning first hit of the day (F7 Vampire Rapala)(shocked huh!!) hook the fish hand and off the rod to Chesley and this fish goes nuts in all it jumped 7 times had three long runs got within 20 feet of the boat twice, it was the biggest fish that has been hooked on my boat at Eagle this year, the fish gets almost close enough to be netted makes another hard run towards the bottom , turns around comes up as fast as it went down comes out of the water for the last time and spits the hook back into the boat, Chelsey did an awsome job with this fish ( she's a rookie ) listen well and did all that she could, Several boats were near us at the time and someone on the radio summed it up pretty well by saying fights like a Steelhead, tastes like a Salmon. We ended up with limits to 4.6lbs ( Breanna with the big fish again).

Friday night Doc and Mrs Doc came up!! We fished Sat and Sunday mornings with great success and even greater company, Sat morning we had our limits early on Rapalas at 30ft started off trolling right in the middle of the lake towards the campgrounds, and I do mean in the middle of the lake we were trolling in 57ft of water marking huge bait balls surrounded by trout. Mrs Doc is an awsome lady with vast amounts of knowledge about fishing as well as the biology of our sport, she and Doc are great people to be around in or out of the water!! We have pictures to follow, but, I'm wore out!! I must say this, I fished with leadcore and a Needlefish today!! Yes! I have more than Rapalas in my tackle boxes! more to follow!!

Thank You to Mr and Mrs. Doc for helping with everything, and just being there for me!!

BITE ME II
8) 8)

Garden_Valley_Fish
08-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Just got back from working at my sons and read this great report ,Sounds like a great weekend Ken so glad to see you up and around, good luck with the chemo next week and when does Eagle close? I hope I can get there this year.

Farrier_Frank
08-14-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm sure glad to hear you're back out fishing Ken. And I can't think of a better place to recoup than that comfortable place you have at Eagle -- I don't know where you're going to do the chemo but I'm going to be back in the VA hospital in Palo Alto Sept 12th, so if you're there I'd be glad to swing by and talk your ear off. ;)

johnbfishin
08-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Great report!! Bite me II is on the water, a rookie fisherperson fights a big one, and you were in the best of company. :)

drstressor
08-14-2005, 06:57 PM
Well, Eileen and I had a great time fishing with Ken and visiting with his family (except that Breanna's dog hates me ;)). It was terrific to see Ken bouncing around only a month after a procedure that left a scar the size of a boat hatch across his belly.

I've never fished Eagle during the summer before. We always get up there in early June or after it gets really cold in November. I was amazed at how fast the fishing was. But I'll tell you that Ken knows that lake as well has he does Pyramid. Let's say that he doesn't follow the crowd. ;) The other guides all respect him and I believe that we outfished most of them both days. Once he has his health back and gets into serious guiding, I highly recommend anyone interested in learning how to fish Eagle to book a trip with him.

Eagle is really interesting in the summer. While the trout are not in the shallows because of the high water temperature, the coves and beaches are loaded with young of the year chubs, shrimp, and water fleas. The Daphnia were so thick in places that the water was actually brown. If there were kokanee in the lake, they would have thought they had died and gone to heaven! You really get a sense of just how productive these alkaline basin lakes can be. The trout were gorging on chubs and were mostly all very full bodied. I am looking forward to some really big ones this fall. But we could see the effect of the high surface alkalinity. The fish didn't fight as hard as during the cool months and many sort of just gave up once they got to the surface. I'm used to Eagle fish during the fall going nuts when they see the boat. These guys tried, but you could see that they were in trouble once they got near the top. We had to release one fish since we doubled one short of the limit. The fish floated on the surface for a good while before finally swimming away. I wouldn't want to bet on its surviving for very long. It's best to keep everything you catch and get off the water early. The "No C&R" recommendation is only voluntary, but it's the only right thing to do until the water cools down and the pH drops.

Here is a picture of Ken and I so that you can all see how good he looks after his surgery:

http://unr.edu/homepage/weber/today4.jpg

And here is a "big mama" tui chub that hit a red needlefish on the leadcore:

http://unr.edu/homepage/weber/today2.jpg

Eileen even got up early both days to fish! ;D

Ken and Terri, thanks for the great time! Breanna and her friends were great. She sure looks after her dad (Keep drinking those fluids ;D). You'll get through that chemo and beat this thing Ken. There will be lots more great times to come.

CHICKFISHING58
08-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Great story glad you guys had fun Ken you still look sexy for a little boy ;D ;)

THE_TROUTKING
08-15-2005, 08:36 AM
Thank you for the great post,good too see you and doc standing next to each other and fishing again.good luck with the chemo ken.Would you please email me when you are back guideding.I what to go to eagle....

Brian

troutfan
08-15-2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the great report Ken. *Let us know when you start guiding again. I would like to book a trip also. Best wishes with your treatment! :)

Reno_Ragarm
08-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Ken, you look mahvalous! No way Chelsea's mom could have given such a vivid description of the one that got away. Looking forward to getting a positive health report too. RR

Farrier_Frank
08-15-2005, 08:03 PM
That was one really enjoyable report, Doc. Thanks for the info and, especially, the pictures. 8)