PDA

View Full Version : River retreives

Wise-Man
08-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Hiya group,

Thought maybe you could help me get my fishing techniques down. I been fishing twice in the past couple of weeks in my home waters and have been having good luck.

In particular, each time I caught a 20+" brown by accident (I hate to admit). They both came from the same hole on 2 different days. The first time I was casting a 1/16oz rooster tail into the current and retrieving it back to me down w/ the current. I've caught many small fish like that. This time, something happened w/ my line, and I stopped my retrieve to fix it. When I started back up, wham! Big brown hit it.

2nd time, I was fishing just after dusk in the same hole w/ a 3" Rapala floater. My cast went over a low hanging branch and I was trying to jerk the line free before my lure came back into snag on the leaves. I went something like jerk, jerk, real, real, then wham! A bigger brown than the last time (and magically, the line came off the little branch) and the fish was mine.

FYI, I released both fish.

Accidents are sometimes the best way to learn but I realize that there are a lot of new things that I need to try w/ my retrieves. Can anyone help me match the conditions to the retrieve I need to use?

Thanks everyone!

Brettski
08-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Ive always done better retrieveing with the current.As far as the tree thing,maybe the splashing noise of your plug helped stir up a hungry fish.Like a wounded bait. Brettski

Duzwatido
08-13-2005, 03:51 PM
Probably the irratic movement you were giving the lure helped entice the fish. I find with the floating lures just a straight retrieve does not always work best, you want to give it some action. Good luck.

fenton_chris
08-13-2005, 09:29 PM
when i toss floaters my retrive is never the same. fast reel slow reel jerking reel twitching reel, its good to try different things while reeling in. 8)

gone fishin
08-14-2005, 09:56 AM
I say what ever works keep doing it. Find more trees... ;D ;D

johnbfishin
08-14-2005, 05:56 PM
I can't say this will help. When stream fishing I usually fish heading upstream which means I always cast up stream. But if I fish a hole that should have produced I'll move up to the next one then drop back down in a few minutes to try it again. Doing this just naturally gives a different presentation. Some eddy's you can work fishing upstream some you can work going downstream. It also forces a different retrieve I suppose.
I can't tell ya how many times I've been bit while messing with a line loop or other problem instead of fishing. ::)

ratss427
08-15-2005, 05:35 PM
i too try and fish casting upstream.this way the lure drifts in a natural way.but ,that is definitely not the rule.i have caught fish casting from almost every possible angle.i think what is more important is : try and get an impulse strike.buzz something flashy or with an erratic action by them.or,slow way down and present something that looks like something they are used to seeing.brown roostertails and c/d raps work really well for this.and i dont be afraid to throw a good sized bait.i used to throw tiny lures figuring small river fish were extremely wary.and would spook to anything big.not always true.and i can attest to this personally.