PDA

View Full Version : Just Got Back from 1st Eagle Lake Trip

hoghunter3
08-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Anna, the Dogs and I just returned from out 1st ever trip to Eagle Lake. We rented a house for a couple of days and fished both Sunday and Monday mornings.
Thanks to the tips I received from fellow "sniffers" we managed to really nail'em. What a lake! Great facilities, Superb fishing and great people.

Now for the report. Hit the water about 5AM on Sunday and headed from Spalding down to the South End. Trolled just outside of the "Fleet" bait fishing near Eagle's nest and couldn't keep them off the rods. I didn't get 4 rods in the water for almost 90 minutes the action was so good.Hot set-ups were Fl Orange #2 needlefish at 25 ft and #2 frog pattern with red spots (Thanks OXbow!) We quit about 9:30 or so after a brunch of fish boated.

First morning on Eagle
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/100_2008.JPG

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/100_1993.JPG

First ever fish at Eagle Lake

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/100_1985.JPG

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/100_1999.JPG

Second day was even better than the first. Had first lines in at 5:15am and had first fish boated by 5:20. Between fish boated and LDRs we probably had more than 20 fish on before we quit at 9:30. Hot set-up was once again the #2 Frog pattern as well as a Pink Rainbow runner fished between 25 and 30 feet. Trolled the area from Miner's down the Eagles Nest and caught fish everywhere. The lake sure lived up to it's reputation.

Our keepers from day 2

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/100_2014.JPG

Thanks again for all the infomation shared. Can't wait to go again

AllFishNoWork
08-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Very Nice HH3! Beautiful dawn pictures and good lookin trout.

SierraSkier
08-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Gorgeous shots, you are a talented photographer and fisherman. Great report as well. Glad you had fun, did you see the deer in Spaulding. I was on fire there and one of my co-workers called his dad and told him he was looking at a buck with a 32.5 inch spread. Dad of course pointed out that no one could estimate a spread that accurately. Then we emailed him the picture of my friend holding a measuring tape between the deers antlers. My dog got tired of seeing them and to this day will not chase a deer.

Mickey_Thomas
08-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Good report HH3, did you talk to any sniffer's out there on the radio? It sure is a fun lake when the trout are hitting, go back when the water cools in Oct. I'll be there for 3-4 days fishing the tulies with worms ;) ;D

Flipper266
08-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Nice fish man......! ;D
Congrats!!!!

BigB
08-02-2005, 06:20 PM
HH3,

Great report and pictures. I may try and get up there in September. Glad to hear that you had a good first experience up there.

Brian

hoghunter3
08-02-2005, 06:31 PM
Mickey, I called for "Sniffers" on the radio both days but no responses. Did talk to a guide (Tim) for awhile. Let me know when you plan to go in October. Maybe we can sync up

firetrout
08-02-2005, 06:46 PM
That is some great photo work. *Give credit to who earned it, *Anna! *:D

Nice to see the both of you had a great trip. *Dare I ask what you did with the rest of your day? *Nice fish what did they average? *How was the weather? *Any storms

I still have to get up there maybe Sept. or Oct. myself.

How was the place you rented and how did you find it?
PM me if you want.
Thanks,

BITE_ME_II
08-02-2005, 07:09 PM
The guide you spoke with is Tim Noxon of Fish Traveler Guide Service, good guy down to earth and works hard for the people he fishes with.

BITE ME II
8) 8)

AllFishNoWork
08-02-2005, 07:26 PM
I was on fire there

Well damn dude, did you put yourself out?

dogfish30
08-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Hey hoghunter3, I just missed you. Might have passed you when I was going down 395. That was the first time I've ever been there too. Eagle Lake is one of the best places I've ever fished. The fishing is great, and all the people are great too. SierraSkier, saw a five point buck walk right through the campgroung across the street from the airstrip. Acted like he owned the place. DF30

northriver_tom
08-03-2005, 06:46 AM
nice fish and it sounds like a good time...great pics and report......

RBC
08-03-2005, 09:37 AM
HH3,
Sounds like you had an awesome trip. Thanks for the report and great pics.

SuperDave
08-03-2005, 10:08 AM
I take it "catch & keep" hasn't been upgraded from voluntary yet.

troutfan
08-03-2005, 10:12 AM
I take it "catch & keep" hasn't been upgraded from voluntary yet.

It should be made mandatory for atleast the hottest months of the summer when the PH levels are at their peak.

OTDRSMN
08-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Great report and nice looking fish! I'll be up there for Labor Day weekend for 5 days! Can't wait! ;D Eagle Lake is the ultimate place to fish in California! 8) Were you using any dodgers or flashers with the needlefish?

BITE_ME_II
08-03-2005, 12:28 PM
While I was there I used Rapalas with no flasher , but I never use flashers and many others that were fishing that I spoke with were'nt using flasher either, but they do work but are not a must.

Enloy the fight !!

BITE ME II
8) 8)

hoghunter3
08-03-2005, 12:47 PM
I ran the Needlefish "naked". No dodgers or flashers. I was running 4# Fluorocarbon main line so they were just tied direct. Hope you do well.

Big_Country
08-03-2005, 01:06 PM
HH3 - great report/pics, thanks. The #2 Red Dot Frog is a reliable lure for Eagle - never use flashers - not needed. For the big buck sightings at Spaulding - that's business as usual...the big mules know they are protected in the area.

For anyone who wants to rent, contact Dave at Heritage Land (just google and you'll find their website); he represents a lot of the rental housing in Spaulding and Bucks.

RIVER_RAT
08-03-2005, 01:11 PM
OTDRSMN, I'll be there Labor day weekend too, big family reunion, will be at Eagle group campground. maybe we can compare notes while were there over a cood one.

OTDRSMN
08-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the info Hoghunter3 and Bite Me II! :D

I've used dodgers in the past with great success but have also gone without and done well also. I guess it just depends upon the time of the year and if the fish are more aggressive?

What size and color rapalas did you use Bite Me II?

Big Country is right about Dave at Heritage land, he's a great guy with lots of nice rentals for reasonable prices! I've rented from Dave for years and been extremely satisfied with all of his rentals! ;D

hoghunter3
08-03-2005, 01:38 PM
Dave is who we went to as well. Very happy with the house we rented

OTDRSMN
08-03-2005, 02:01 PM
River Rat, I'll be up there with a bunch of relatives too! I guess when the relatives find out you're going to Eagle Lake and you have a boat they all suddenly want to go fishing? ??? We will be arriving on Thursday afternoon, the 1st and staying through Monday. We've rented a cabin in Spaulding Tract near the boat ramp.

Which campground do you have reservations for? Let me know which site your at and I'll stop by for that cold beer! ;D

I have a marine radio and you can reach me on channel 69 to compare notes too!

I will be fishing with a guide early Friday morning as I won a free guided trip at last year's Labor Day fishing seminar at the Eagle Lake General Store! ;D

After that I will be on the water fishing in my boat getting to play guide for the relatives the rest of that morning and every morning and evening while were there! ;);D I'm not complaining because I love to fish and help people catch fish but when your relatives don't know that much about fishing, especially at Eagle Lake, and want to catch a fish it can be a lot of work with 3 other people fishing! :( By the end of the day I'm zonked! :P

BITE_ME_II
08-03-2005, 02:37 PM
I rented from Dave for several years, I would definatly consider him a friend of mine, I eventually stopped renting from him because he ended up selling me some property and I built on it. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!!

BITE ME II
8) 8)

BassFooler
08-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Nice catch hoghunter- Eagle Lake is a gorgeous lake- I havent been there in many years- but the few times I have been there have proven to be just about as fruitful as your trip-
I think it's time I talk the wife into a road trip...... ;)

BITE_ME_II
08-04-2005, 08:35 AM
It'll be well worth the trip, The great part about Eagle is early limits (most of the time) and all day to spend time doing what the rest of the family wants to do, or just doing nothing at all. If you haven't gone put it on your list.

BITE ME II
8) 8)

BassFooler
08-04-2005, 01:03 PM
How long of a drive is it from Sac/EG? It's been too long to remember.

SuperDave
08-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Several factors to consider:

Are you pulling a boat?

Are you taking your wife and or kids?

If the answer to both was yes, about 5 hours.

Paddleman
08-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Boy Hoghunter, those trout could have ate the ones we were catching at the lakes we visited. *

Thanks for sharing those photos with us.

One thing about this trout board. You leave town for a few days and this board has four pages of posts when you get back.

You get into that should of, could of mind frame after seeing some of the catches posted by fellow sniffers.

Thanks,
PMan

Rusty_Hooks
08-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Always one for a fine photo.....and fine ones they are.

Very nice fish!!...thanks for the temptation ;D ;D ;)

Ozzy
08-08-2005, 09:47 PM
HH3 great job! This was the first opener at Eagle that I
missed in ten years. I was'nt going make that 5.5 hour drive
this year at all. After seeing those awesome photo's I'm
thinking October or November! Thanks

BITE_ME_II
08-09-2005, 08:13 AM
Eagle is fishing better now than it was on the opener this year, if you are fishing in the right area and the right depth the average size fish is also larger, I have found that I catch very few small fish on the Rapalas that I use, that may be coincidence, but based on my log the Rapala fish that have been caught have averaged 3 plus pounds and the people that have fished with other lures on board my boat is in the 2lb range or below. Again this is based only on the study I have done on board my boat.

BITE ME II
8) 8)

freon
08-09-2005, 08:12 PM
HH3, excellent fish and pics, you always do a good job at that. Its been some time since I have been up there, but another trip might be just what I need, but probably not until the salmon are out of here.
Bite Me, I too fared better with rapalas years ago, but the best I ever did out there was with worms, slow trolled with one red bead in front of the worm, it killed them.
Freon

vvbob
08-13-2005, 08:42 PM
I have been going to Eagle Lake on Labor Day for the last 25 years. A lot has changed up there during that time.
Heres a photo from 1985, believe I caught this on on a frog Z-Ray.
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1092/19853nu.jpg
you just don't catch beauties like this too often anymore. Look how fat that fish is, today a fish that length weighs a pound less. Don't get me wrong I still love to fish there, but it was better years ago.

Now my #1 bait is the 3" Berkley power grub. I would say brown is the best producer overall, but black is a close #2. I usually put a small bead on, I use different color beads, most days red usually works....somedays green is better.I fish the south end of the lake using down-riggers, start one at 10' the other about 20' before sunrise; then go from there. My favorite run; out of the marina about 200 feet,turn left, follow the shoreline around Pike's Point & down to the rocky point a 1/4 mile south. Caught some beautiful fish traveling that route.