PDA

View Full Version : Little Grass Valley Resv.

fratrat
08-11-2005, 08:00 PM
I just got back from three days camping with my 6 year old daughter at LGV. We fished every day, mainly trolling and caught fish everyday. My daughter out fished me by four fish. Because of the little one we usually didn't get started in the mornings until around 9:00 and then fished to noon and again in the evening from 4:00 to 6:00 pm. We caught fish everytime out and ended up going home with 5 koks and 5 rainbow. Fish ranged in size from 11 to 14 inches. This trip was mainly to teach my daughter how to fish for trout. I let her use the rod with leaded lin and she learned how to bait her own hook with a worm and let out her line and reel in the fish. It was more fun watching her each time. We caught all our fish on wedding rings with a nightcrawler, fishing from 30 to 40 feet.

skipper
08-11-2005, 08:13 PM
ALL RIGHT!! another kid hooked on fishing. 8) 8) Sounds like Dad had a great time too. ;D ;D ---fish hawk

kubfish
08-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Glad to hear you had a good trip. How was the water levels, is the lake still pretty full?

Also were you catching Kokes or Rainbows or mix of both?

fratrat
08-12-2005, 03:23 PM
The lake is down some, but not bad, normal level for this time of year. Water temp is around 73 degrees. We caught both koakes and rainbow. The bite is not hot but not bad either. The last day we started at 10 am and fished to 1 pm when the wind picked up. During that time we caught 5 fish. The first two were a double at 10 am just off of Little Beaver ramp. This was my daughters 10th fishing trip this year and she has been able to catch some type of fish the last five times out. She wants to catch a salmon now.

kubfish
08-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Well it is nice to hear you did well. I went up to LGV early last month and we did okay, all Kokes, they just started to draw the lake down and it was just at the start of the heat wave. Nobody I talked to seen a bow. Thats okay in about 2 months the fishing will be on fire up there, and the browns will be out and hungry.

She wants to catch a salmon now.

I hear that, I am going to take my boys on the Feather this weekend. I remember my first Salmon and how pumped I was. AND I WAS 25 then.. so I cannot wait until I can get them to hook one. This will be the first year I have taken them Salmon fishing.

fratrat
08-13-2005, 10:52 AM
It sounds like you and your boys will have a good time, koobfish. I started my youngest daughter, Selina, on the boat when she was a baby and have taken her ever since, she started fishing a three. Now it's getting fun because she has started doing more things on her own, casting and baiting hooks. Selina usually goes with me and my wife on weekends salmon fishing but she hasn't had a chance to try to bring one in. Fishing on the Feather is on the slow side right now but it should get better. I always bring a spinning outfit and anchovies for the kids. If they start getting board I get them into fishing for small stripers, the shakers are fun for kids trying to hook them. The next time I hook a salmon I'm going to give the rod to Selina and then help her bring it in.