PDA

View Full Version : New to Group and to Fishing

Lacey
08-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Hello all.

My husband and I are long time boaters and just bought a house boat at Bidwell Marina. We went on Vaction and ened up fishing at Hawley Lake in Arizona. Boy that was fun till everyone one cought trout/fish except me...Even the noisy kids cought fish.

Anyway, We are back home and I am ready to go fishing!!! Howevre I dont know where a good place to fish in the area. I have read the regulations for trout fishing but I am confussed on where it is o.k. to fish and keep them.
Can anyone tell me where a local area in Chico, Paradise, Magalia, Oroville, Hwy 70ish or anywhere near them would be great?

Thanks for your time.

Brettski
08-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Lake Oroville would be a good place to start.Check their website and get the info you need. Welcome, Brettski

AllFishNoWork
08-11-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm not terribly familiar with that area. Member/Moderator Erreck would be a good one for reccomendations.

Erreck
08-12-2005, 06:48 AM
Welcome aboard Lacey!

For trout in the area you have several good choices...

Paradise Lake- Open everyday except Wed. from sunrise to sunset. Rainbows are running about 40' deep right now and the bite is slow (about 1 an hour per rod) with the surface temp at about 80deg. The lake should "turn over" here pretty soon, but that's about the time they start letting water out :-/. The lake has some pretty strict rules on bait and boating, but well worth a trip. They do stock periodically and there were several rainbows over 10lbs. caught out of there this year.

De Sabla Res.- Open all day, every day. It's tiny, but a fun place to sit on the shore and relax. DFG stocks the pond regularly and it's hard not to catch a fish or two if you do go. Most people fish with powerbait there, but I've found that mini-marshmellows do really well this time of year.

Lake Oroville- Lake Oroville is a tough one now. There are rainbows in the lake that seem to come in from the upper streams and rivers that feed the lake. Targetting trout really isn't worth the time invested. Your better bet is going to be on the Coho (silver salmon). Although they are no longer stocking the lake, there still are some good fish in there. This year has been very slow, even for those that really know what they're doing on that lake. Best results I've heard of have been right off the face of the dam near the bouy line trolling down 60-80 feet or drifting night crawlers or anchovies in the same area. Lake Oroville is mainly a Bass lake now and is doesn't look like that will change any time soon :-/.

Thermolito N. Forebay- This is another fun place to sit and relax on the shore or take the boat out for a while. DFG stocks the forebay regularly with rainbows and your best bet is going to be crawlers or powerbait on the west side of the boat ramp.

Further up the road...

Lake Almanor and Butt Valley Res.- Both of these lakes produce some really good size fish. If you plan a trip there, post before you go and I'm sure someone will chime in with current information. The conditions change rapidly up there (both weather and fishing) so it's best to have very current info.

Bucks Lake- This is the perfect time of year to visit Bucks. I'm not sure about the rainbow bite, but I know that people are doing well on Browns and Kokes right now. I also heard of a few really good Macks being brought in over the past week or two.

If you'd like any more info., or more detailed, PM me and I'd be glad to help.

BassFooler
08-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Welcome to the boards Lacey-
Relatively close to Oro (well, I consider it close)
is Bullards Bar and Collins Lake- can usually pull SOMETHING out of them... ;D