PDA

View Full Version : Pink Lady troll HELP!

YakMotor
08-12-2005, 08:04 AM
I'm going to Silver Lake to troll for trout this evening in my kayak. In the past I've had good results using a Pink Lady "down" planer, but have lost the instruction sheet that came with the one I have. I recall there was a chart to help with depth estimate. I need to know how many feet I need to pull off the reel to get my lure down to 25ft. There is a patent # on this one but no size number. I've owned a couple of these and think this is a small one. It measures 2 1/4" across and 3 1/2" the long direction.

On my last (and only) visit to Silver Lake on July 27th I enjoyed a scenic tour, but caught no fish. I saw a perched Osprey, but no eagles. I was fishing a wobble type lure with half a night crawler on a single hook. I had about 1/2oz of bullet lead before the the lure and found, after bumping the bottom, I was only getting about 9ft down. I got a couple hits that shreaded the crawler, but no hook-ups. Fishfinder showed fish at about 20ft.

After reading a few reports I think I'll try a small Kastmaster behind the Pink Lady. Any help / tips will be appreciated. I'll check back after lunch before I takeoff.

Thanks
Mark

Erreck
08-12-2005, 08:51 AM
Yak-

Have you thought about switching to lead core? It's much less cumbersome than the pink lady and much more reliable as far as depth accuracy.

Just a thought.

Oxbow
08-12-2005, 08:57 AM
Mark, you have the size "Zero", I am looking at that package as I write. The chart says that you get about 1 foot of depth for every 2 feet of line out. For the size Zero it specifically says: For 10# line you go down 18 feet with 25 feet of line out and you go down 34 feet with 50 feet of line out, from this I calculate that 37 feet of line out should put you at just about 25 feet down. Don't forget to subtract a little from the 37 feet if you are using a long leader and heavy spoon. Good Luck!

fsh_on
08-12-2005, 12:09 PM
I would topline at Silver if you are going in the evening.We were there last night and killed them.I would witch to leadcore,rather than using a pink lady.Here is a pic of the niciest fish we caught last night.

[img=http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8964/hpim06338ec.th.jpg] (http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hpim06338ec.jpg)