PDA

View Full Version : 3- Lakes-7days Fishing Trip-UVR,Ice House,Stumpy

Paddleman
08-08-2005, 10:03 AM
What a week! Three lakes in seven fun filled days.

First up:

Stumpy Meadows- Fished the lake with so-so results. 6 rainbows-10"-13" planters. Trolling wedding ring with nightcrawlwers. Top line early droping down as the morning wore on. Two fish caught with J-5 rapala gold and black, one on minow silver. all at 15-20 feet on the riggers.

Highlight: We saw the eagle.
Nice lake, smaller than I was expecting.

Downside: Did not mark many fish. Must be spoiled after fishing Pardee and Amador.

Next up: Union Valley. *Camped at Sunset Campground. Very nice. Clean and well kept up. The Camp Host was great. Place was deserted during the week. *Fishing was good. *Still having trouble figuring out this kok stuff. Marked several fish 35-50 feet in depth. *Caught a few. The radical glow tubes were the ticket, pink with a vance crome dogger. *Rainbows in planter size were plentyful. We caught them on mack wedding rings and tipped with 1/2 crawler. Top lined and down to 10 feet seemed to be the best. Caught a few on Sep's 2" grubs in orange and rootbeer. *Also caught a couple on J-5 minow top lined.

Highlight: We had a visitor in the camp at 2:30 am. Mr. Black Bear came to sniff us out. Knocked over several things on the table. *Was a little uncomfortable in a tent 20 feet away from this big fella with no gun or baseball bat to wart him off if he decided to be aggressive. All food had been put up in the vehicle. *Never again going out camping without some protection.

Downside: Not many kok's. I need a guru to trade trips with me to show me the ropes on these. A salmon or steelhead river drift for some tutelage on a kok trip. Was told these are easy to catch late in July and August as they begin to stage before the spawn. *Well hells bells I sure have not found it to be that way. Still have not had some of that lights out action I have been hearing about.

Next up Icehouse: *We fished off the bank on the west side of the dam area. *Inflated nightcrawlers and power bait nuggets. *6 fish caught in a couple hours. We did not take the boat out here. Just explored the area. Nice account UVR and Icehouse are so close to eachother. Drove back to the backside where the stream or river comes in. Looked good. Did not fish here though. All fish caught were planters. 10 to 12 inchers.

Highlight: Lots of bites. Beautiful lake. *Did not stay here but the camp sites also looked very nice, well kept and clean. *

Downside: None. This would be a great place to take a child to fish. Good area by the west side of the dam to fish. *Easy access and several bites to keep them interested.

All in all a good trip. Several small planter fish caught and some excitement to tell around the campfire in years to come. (bear)

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/fishing_1731.jpg
Two planter trout from Stumpy that were kept for the camp grill. All the rainbows we caught were similar to these that were kept this day. Along with the fish from UVR and Icehouse. *Nothing big, but plenty of action from fish in this size range.

Next up-Stampede Kok's and trout-any advise???

jackstraw
08-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the reports.... sounds like a great seven days! I'm new to the Kokes as well, and still well within the learning curve. Wish I could help out.

fishguts
08-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Had the same trouble getting the Kokes to bite at UVR. Had a couple suicidals but that was about it. Thanks for the report it looks like we are going to camp at Ice House next week and give it a try. I was hoping for Stampede but the boss says she liked it up there the last trip. Boss happy you get to fish more. LOL.

Mickey_Thomas
08-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Well Paddleman, sounds like fun to me ;D maybe you didn't hook any good size fish but I bet you didn't think about work all week ;) I'm no Kok guru either, but I think if I take you up to Hell Hole you'll do better. UVR Kok's seem to be an early morning thing, after the sun rises the Kok's seem to stop bitting. At HH you can catch them all day, there are periods where the bite turns off but if you're patient they will start again.

JD
08-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Thirty bucks will get you some bear spray, a gun will get you lots of attention with no fishing while talking to the officials.

GN.
08-08-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm also in need of more knowledge about Koke fishing. They seem a little harder to figure out than trout. I think I heard you talking about the bear at the ramp. I had just finished towing in a boat and ferrying back their clan from the peninsula and heard someone talking about a bear in camp. I wonder if that was you or if someone else had the same problem. It was sunday somewhere about 4 or 5pm.

Also I second the Idea of some protection in camp. I also would prefer bear spray. My mom mistook my dads friend for a bear once. If it was a gun instead of a glowing stick from the fire that she had gone after him with we may not have been laughing about it afterwards.

Paddleman
08-08-2005, 06:19 PM
That was not me late Sunday afternoon.

The camp host came around and told us of the possible bear troubles. They have been having camp raids for some time now. Also said Icehouse, and Loon camp grounds have had some problems. I have never seen a bear in the wild before this. This was not a small bear. Looked darn big when I put the light on him. These bears have found it easy getting into ice chests and food in the camp sites. They have it posted to put your food up. Someone is going to have some food in their tent and that big boy is going to hurt someone trying to get at it. Our camp neighbors had two big dogs. I was surprised that the bear came around with those dogs close by. When it is quiet like it was, that big fella was making a racket serching for some easy pickins in some camp food left out. I have been to Yellowstone and Yosemite and was also warned about possible bears, but have never came across one before.

I should of added in my post we were on the water at 5:45 am each morning, and fished until around 10:00am each day. The bank fishing at Icehouse was in the evenings. Bet the bank fishing would be good also at Icehouse in the a.m. hours.

Needless to say, the rest of the night after the visiting bear left me sleeping with one eye open and my ears peeled.

Gets to be a pain having to load most of the breakable stuff into the vehicle each night. Better than having it broke though.

Bear spray sounds like a good idea when we head up into the mountains next time out.

fishguts
08-08-2005, 07:09 PM
I have a bear tag.

GN.
08-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Me too!

Ozzy
08-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Hey where does one go to get bear spray? I was at Sunset
last week did'nt get any bear warnings. Yogi and Boo boo
hit us hard, a Costco size red vines,2 dozen breakfast
muffins,a box of Vanilla Wafers, Then the ice chest, two
packages of sausage,two packages of bacon, one package of
hot dogs, and a small bite out of an apple. The Red Vines
really hurt, almost as bad as the dump that was left next to the picnic table! I have been camping at sunset for
thirty-years this was a first.

AllFishNoWork
08-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Excellent report Paddleman! 7 days, no work, no traffic, just you and yours and the dirt and the lake and the fish. Can't beat that!

Guess what! As soon as you get the kokes figured out, you'll get skunked by them again.

woolybugger
08-08-2005, 11:52 PM
for anyone with the bear problem you can get the bear spray at REI. if i remember right it is about $25.00. the other bear repellant is a good ol .44. the bear spray has a thirty foot range on it so you don't have to get right next to the bear. does any one know how UVR is for bank fishing? taking my sisters girls up there for the week?

fishrman4life
08-09-2005, 01:06 AM
cant wait for my 2 weeks in early november...trout season...BIG trout season... ;D ;D ;D

Farrier_Frank
08-09-2005, 04:53 AM
That was a good read Paddleman. Kokanee are great fun and far better to eat than planters, but it takes some learning to catch them. UVR can be a pain sometimes for catching kokes. I was fishing Hell Hole last Monday and Tuesday with JohnB and my son and we caught around 40. I went to UVR Thursday with Oxbow and we only caught 4. Then again Hell Hole can get moody, too, and leave you scratching your head. The best bet is to hitchhike a ride with some of the kokanee fishermen and learn some of the tricks, it shortens the learning curve.

Now, if you want to see bears in the wild come to my house. I have one that's been plaguing me for the last week and bear spray is not an option. The government agency's involved with bear problems are overwhelmed this year and the trappers told me just to shoot it since they have no traps left to loan me.

Mickey_Thomas
08-09-2005, 05:03 AM
Dang Frank, is that bad bear still bothering you? ??? I'd have thought you would have shot it by now ::) do we need to do a hunt and BBQ? :D I bet we could get a BearFest going ;D ;D ;D

Farrier_Frank
08-09-2005, 05:19 AM
I should have shot it the first time Meatloaf put it up a tree, Mickey. Unfortunately the bear got smart after that episode and is now being coy and hitting my place at odd hours. At least it hasn't gotten back in the kitchen again. That was a real mess.

Paddleman
08-09-2005, 06:11 AM
Bear in the kitchen. Now that would certainly leave a mess.

Ozzy, boy losing all that good camp food was a bad deal.
Bet that bear left a ton of bear drool all over your camp chests.

With them eating this good they will keep coming back and raising havoc with the campers. To easy for them.

Maybe I was doing right with the moody kok fishing and they were being tough on me. With guru's like Farrier Frank and Oxbow having it tough at UVR last week also.
One of these days I am going to nail them.

Mickey_Thomas
08-09-2005, 06:54 AM
I know Frank that none of us like to kill them if we can help it, it seems your bear is a problem bear and will continue to be one.....we had a few "garbage" bears around last year, they only showed up on garbage pickup days ??? They got picked off one by one and this year (so far) no bears. The Dept of fish and game told us the same thing they told you, shoot them ::) It just seems like there should be a better way of dealing with them without killing them.

Paddleman
08-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Wow, I just saw a post on the kok board from kokaneemart and c.b. tackle. They had a great day fishing at uvr for kok's.

Now that is what I am talking about. *Sounds like the same areas I fished. Same depth, Radical glow tubes, dodgers. I am going to keep at this until I get it right.

Used the pro cure scent with dyed pink cured corn.

I know this is the trout board but most of us view the same spots. Just gets aggravating. I know they are right there. *

Maybe I am putting my lines out to far behind the boat or not far enough. Have a counter on the reel so can dial it in pretty good. Have moved it around from 35' back to around 50' back. Is this ok. Or do I need to go back farther from the clip. *Have stacked them at 50" deep and 35 feet deep moving the distance back on each as I go through my patterns. *Usually keep the top clip 15 to 20 feet closer to the boat than the bottom one.

I have noticed that you really have to watch the poles in the downrigger as they pump and do not release some times from the clips when they bite. Have tried to adjust the rigger clips. Go to lite on the adjustment and sometimes they pop of the clip and we are back to square one re-clipping.

I use a trolling min-kota motor at the bow for movement when fishing. Maybe I am trolling to slow. I watch the poles and can usually see the best way that the dodgers work when they are toplined. *Figured it is the same thirty+ feet down. Leader from the dodger has been around 12" to 24". Seems like I get bit better with the 20+ leader better. 10lb flourocarbon leader, with double size #4 hooks. *I flash the glow tubes with a camera flash, just like we do when we are back trolling the glow kwick-fish for salmon on the rivers.

Hey, I am new to this trout-Kok trolling stuff. I have the trout trolling down pretty good as we can catch them no problem. Kok's, now that is another story. I had ok luck at Pardee with the kok's, but they were all small ones in the 8"to12" range in the spring.

Have a lot to learn yet. But feel I can not be to far off from having one of those days you remeber for years to come.

Any helpful secrets? Does this sound like I am doing the right stuff?

firetrout
08-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Hey Paddleman nice report on your vacation! :D

Sounds like you had great excitement with Yogi and frustration with the KOKs ;)

I had some luck with Koks in Oregon but I had no clue to how to target them. I was told that once you find them trolling, stop and jig for them with a spoon. Some people were getting their 25 fish limit that way. And yes they were small, I have to go for the size!

Big Question??? Bear Spray, How good does it work? I'll bet it doesn't come with a guarantee ::)

Take care Paddleman and go get the SALMON

Paddleman
08-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks Firetrout, drift wizard went out salmon drifting this weekend. Had one good take with roe, back bouncing some of the deeper holes. No hit on kwikfish. He went solo so it is a little difficult to work some of the holes.
Give it a good month before the bigger schools head this way.
Glad to here your trip went well. 25 kok's in Oregon, wow. I have a long way to go to get close to those numbers.

AllFishNoWork
08-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Paddleman, I've been outta the kok loop for a little bit, But when we were doing it regularly, we found Pardee to be skunk buster and confidence builder.

Or, go to Franks' house, shoot the bear and offer it up to the kok gods as a sacrifice :-/

Farrier_Frank
08-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Allfish, you better change that lead sentence of yours or you're gonna get a knock on the door tonight from the DEA! :D *And, if you want to save the bear that's been tearing up my kitchen and outbuildings come on up and catch it. It will make a great pet in your neighborhood. The bear was back on my front porch this afternoon when I drove in from work, trying to get back in the kitchen. So you either get your butt up here and take it home with you or it's gonna become a rug. 8) *

wayneo
08-09-2005, 07:09 PM
I was told that pesky bears make good rugs ;D

Sardine
08-10-2005, 05:34 AM
They are very good to eat too! :) My Uncle Bill used to go all the time & bear meat tasted like a real flavorful pot roast. Yum.

Mickey_Thomas
08-10-2005, 06:06 AM
Are you sure you want to eat it? It's been eating Franks food ??? ;D ;D

ITUKAWAL
08-10-2005, 06:22 AM
Are you sure you want to eat it? It's been eating Franks food ??? ;D ;D

Hey Mick, Nothin' wrong with beans and bear and beer. Say that real fast 5 times ;D ;D

wetdog
08-10-2005, 06:47 AM
Make the rug...bears & skunks...same family! ;)

robert_long
08-10-2005, 06:51 AM
Hey Frank, bring some bear meat up to Loon Friday or Saturday night. I bbq it next to the trout, ummmm good.

Robert

dandeuce
08-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Paddleman ,
I too am trying to figure out these kokes , just came back from UVR , check my post on the Kokanee Board . I met Kokaneemart up there and he was adamant on the distance of the leader used with glow tubes , hoochies and other lures that had no real action of their own - no more than twice the length of the dodger . With the 4/0 dodgers we were using that was
just under 8" , you might want to shorten up some .

We stayed at the Wench Creek campgrounds and no sign of bear or any bear sightings , thought we might have a visit since the dumpsters were overflowing from the weekend . Black bears kill way more people than grizzleys every year , those who feel safe with their pepper spray GOOD , I have a loaded .44 mag in a camp in bear country . Never want to use it and have chased 4-5 bears off over the years by banging something , yelling at them or even throwing something at them . One of these bears at Gerle Creek was easily a foot taller at his shoulder than the Forest service table while on all four feet - 6oo lbs. plus , BIG BEAR . I watched him for 15 minutes from about 5' away and thankfully did not need the gun , he was too close to shoo away - was worried I might startle him into a attack mode from that close . Don't want to kill one but if a bear should get aggresive he dies , I'll explain it to the judge .

Good luck on your quest of the koke , Dan

Sardine
08-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Ah Ha! I eat or drink beer, beans or bear in that order. I still say we shoot his butt & put 'em on the grill. i bet Sturgeon Stomper would go for that? Sounds like a bear fest to me, as you suggested in an earlier post. We could have a bear fest at Heck Hole, after the Hellfest. We'd just have to time our shooting of the bar.