PDA

View Full Version : aug 11th shasta lake ?

blue_chrush
08-02-2005, 06:05 PM
going to shasta on the weekend of aug,11th....
any tips on which arms are the best for trolling...
or any lake tips for hot weather fishing there lately....
mostl likely trout,kokanee
thank you... ;D

Troutdraggin
08-03-2005, 09:16 AM
You might check out this site before heading up. http://www.shastacascade.org/fishreport.htm Or the report at Shasta Tackle.com The reports are updated regularly. I was up last weekend and did pretty well. I think we were catching more than the outfitters from what I could tell in the Dry Creek area. It was hot, but we caught fish until about 1pm. Most on lead core out 5 colors trolling at about 1.8 mph. The larger fish were a little deeper down to 40 feet using downriggers. But we tried 80-120 feet as recommended for salmon and didn't have any success. The salmon were caught with lead core and were only in the 15-16" range. The trout were mostly from 2-3 lbs. I've heard good fishing elsewhere on the lake too.
:)

Mickey_Thomas
08-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Darn I wish I could help you Blue, after what you did for me and GoneFishin last week. Are you sure an "old salt" like you can handle fresh water? Just remember you don't have to wash out the motor when you take it out ;) ;D ;D

RBC
08-03-2005, 11:06 AM
Blue Crush,
I've gone out with a guide a few times in mid August and he trolled exclusively the Shasta Dam area. This guide (canít remember his name) designed the Humdinger lure which was developed right there on Shasta Lake. Caught both rainbows and salmon on the lure. Additionally, if you head up the McCloud arm until it ends, there is some great trout fishing back where the stream enters the lake. I have hiked back up these streams and done well. Have a great trip and post how you did when you return.

Budman
08-03-2005, 01:37 PM
Blue Crush,
I've gone out with a guide a few times in mid August and he trolled exclusively the Shasta Dam area. *This guide (canít remember his name) designed the Humdinger lure which was developed right there on Shasta Lake. *

Gary Mirales is the name of the guide. He has a fairly fresh report at Shastatackle.com

In additon to Gary's report, the evening bite in the Dam area has been fairly active lately...

DomD
08-03-2005, 02:41 PM
I'll be up there the Aug 12-15 .... with 10 of my best buddies on a houseboat. We are looking to catch some fish and a buzz. The occassion? A bachelor party. Can't wait ;D

ratss427
08-03-2005, 08:19 PM
buzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;Dtie it off and tie one on! ;)

blue_chrush
08-04-2005, 07:12 PM
fishslayer....thank you, great site, thanks....

Mickey Thomas....I'll be fine, but thanks.. ;) :D I'll post pics..

slayer....I'll be on it, thanks... ;)

DomD...that will be a 1st catching stripers on the lake, I mean strippers....lol

Troutdraggin
08-08-2005, 03:25 PM
You are welcome...have fun. Just returned from Fort Bragg Friday. The bite is wide open for 20 lb range Salmon. Fishing was great and it was real cool weather. A nice get away. But have fun on the lake. :o ::) ;D

Budman
08-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Blue Crush, I don't envy your being limited to a weekend this time of year at Shasta as the skiers, etal, tend to curb some of the enjoyment for trollers.

I was out today. Started out on the West side of Beaver Island (near Bridge Bay). Didn't do a lot of experimenting and got reasonable action from one lure, Purple/White Humdinger, 40-50 feet. I expected that depth to produce mostly small guys this time of year but got a couple of very nice, very fat Rainbows, 17-19". I had one on for a couple of minutes that was even stronger but I got careless. A couple of them were the Eagle Lake strain. A couple of keeper bass also liked the set up.

Had some action also on the Blue & Silver HD.

I ran on over to Dry Fork and got a few with the same gear and depth. A small Salmon and a couple of trout.

If you are on the lower end of the lake late in the day, check it out for the deeper guys. It's a little more condusive for trollers near the "restricted" area.

Copepods(spelling?) are showing up a bit on the smaller ones (12-16") that don't stay in the cooler water.

Gary Mirales usually monitors Channel 69 and will respond with a report if he is out there and can hear you.

Hope this helps...

blue_chrush
08-10-2005, 10:25 PM
thanks budman...
I was just about to ask what ch they use up there...
skiers smiers, no ones out at 5am....
there all hung over....lol
I'm set, and I can go deep easy...
hey does anyone have a navatronics or c-map for hot/lakes
just wondering if it was worth the money...???????
my lowrance can take either one...

Budman
08-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Where are you going to camp? Or are you houseboating it? If I'm in the area, I'll give you a call on Channel 69 to see how you're doing...