PDA

View Full Version : catch & keep @ eagle lake ?

ph
08-07-2005, 01:33 PM
I've been reading this board for about a month now. Seems to be a group of dedicated and serious anglers. I've fished Eagle Lake for 15 years. The reasons for catch & keep seem valid especially during peak water temps. I fished last Wed.& Thurs., caught & kept 1-4 lb. & 3 -1.5lb.,yes it would have been nice to cull the 1's and bring home only 4's but my personal decision was to keep all. I know it's voluntary,and makes for long drives & short fishing but what suprised me was after reading posts about 15 & 20 fish days the subject(catch & keep) wasn't discussed. I do not wish to offend or dictate behavior, I just thought given the seriousness of maintaining one of the last truly great fisheries in this state, it would have been discussed here.

FreshwaterFrank
08-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Touchy subject. C & R is looked at like a Constitutional Right by some. Me, I'm a meat hunter & I don't waste the resource for a few thrills "battling" heroically against slimy critters with brains the size of peas. There's always tomorrow.

troutfan
08-07-2005, 02:47 PM
It's good Kharma to catch and keep at Eagle! ;)

appleinorange
08-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Caught my limit and each day. I drove from Chester. One hour each way. :)

troutfan
08-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Caught my limit and each day. I drove from Chester. One hour each way. :)
One hour? You lucky dog! I live an hour south of Reno and go there for day trips all the time. ;D

kubfish
08-07-2005, 05:37 PM
I am not sure I understand... Are you for or against catch and release?

As far as what I think you mean... I say you catch and keep what your going to eat most importantly.

Lakes that don't have an aggressive stocking program I think / feel you need to be more selective in what you keep. Eagle lake happens to not be one of those lakes. They have a great stocking program and actually contribute to a lot of lakes in the area.

I wouldn't feel bad about keeping my entire catch at Eagle or any other lake that stocks like crazy.

On a side note shouldn't it be the other way around, you keep the small dawgs and let the big fish go so they can make more big fish.

troutfan
08-07-2005, 06:08 PM
I am not sure I understand... Are you for or against catch and release?

As far as what I think you mean... I say you catch and keep what your going to eat most importantly.

Lakes that don't have an aggressive stocking program I think / feel you need to be more selective in what you keep. Eagle lake happens to not be one of those lakes. They have a great stocking program and actually contribute to a lot of lakes in the area.

I wouldn't feel bad about keeping my entire catch at Eagle or any other lake that stocks like crazy.

On a side note shouldn't it be the other way around, you keep the small dawgs and let the big fish go so they can make more big fish.

This is part of Val's fishing report for Eagle Lake. *It explains "Catch and Keep"
DFG BIOLOGIST PAUL CHAPPELL HAS POSTED THE VOLUNTARY "CATCH AND KEEP RECOMMENDATION"

***** pH levels from DFG: Date measured: 7-26-05 The pH was measured at 9.30 at the south shore, 9.40 at Spalding and 9.60 at Stones. *Info from Kyle Knutson, Ca. DFG. *Readings taken between 11a.m./noon. *

The recommendation is completely voluntary, however it is up to all of us that fish this lake to take part in it's preservation. When the lake level is low the pH has more of a tendency to increase dramatically (there are also some variables involved too) during the heat of summer. *When the lake is at it's optimum level of 5106 to 5109 the increase in pH is not as dramatic as it is when the lake level is *below 5106. *In the years of higher water the recommendation is not usually posted. *This year we are looking at a lake elevation currently at 5100.73. *Still .26 of a foot less than last fall at 5100.99 ft. The high alkaline water (9.4 and above)becomes a caustic solution that erodes the mucus membranes covering the gills. *The mucus membranes prevent the capillaries in the gills from bleeding while transpiring gases (lactic acid from the fight). *Once the mucus membrane is eroded, any added stress (by being caught) makes the gills work overtime trying to transpire and exchange gases built up in the fish during the fight. *Without the protective membranes that hold the capillaries together, the capillaries begin to bleed and don't exchange the gases needed to survive. *Once released the fish happily swims away but dies within minutes to 48 hours as it slowly bleeds to death. *WE ARE IN FULL SUPPORT OF THIS VOLUNTARY RECOMMENDATION.

No one that fishes this lake wants to catch recently planted fish, but kids have a lot of fun. *We all want to catch a big fish, but if we continue to release thousands of small fish in these water conditions we are part of the problem, not the solution. *This voluntary recommendation has developed through scientific studies. *It is by no means a law and is completely voluntary. Typically this recommendation is not posted in years of higher water levels. *Eagle Lake Fishing Information is in total support of this recommendation.

Here is the link if you want to read the whole report.
http://eaglelakefishing.info/

kubfish
08-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Nice reply trout, I am not a regular of Eagle and don't have that knowledge which is why I stated I wasn't sure what the point of the post was.

That is good info you posted.

BITE_ME_II
08-07-2005, 07:15 PM
On my boat guided or otherwise on Eagle Lake it is Mandatory you keep what you catch! but those that fish with me know this in advance. Project Eagle Lake Trout and others have worked to make this the fishery that it is, and by me setting that rule aboard my boat, is if nothing else, just trying to do my part. I am there every year as the trout come up the creek heading for the small hatchery station that we have, and I for one would hate to see that run diminish for any reason.

BITE ME II
8) 8)

Mark_Damron
08-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Great topic that needed to be brought up. If you plan to fish Eagle Lake this time of year, Please practice CATCH & KEEP. A lot of work and $$$$ has gone into improving the fishery at Eagle and it is already showing results. Go back in the fall when the water cools, the PH levels go down and have a blast. I'll be up there Sept.30th-Oct.7th and back again the middle of Nov. for a week. The wheather is great that time of year and the fishing EVEN BETTER! PHM

RIVER_RAT
08-08-2005, 07:02 AM
The wheather is great that time of year and the fishing EVEN BETTER! PHM

Mark, I think Great is a relative term for Nov. ;D If you prepare for it and expect the worst it can be great, I fish every Nov. and always have a great time but the weather can be a little rough :o
Will be there Labor Day weekend (C&K) and Veterans day (looking for the big guys)

SuperDave
08-08-2005, 07:13 AM
Amen - ph. I was probably too subtle in my replies to those 15 - 20 fish day posts, feeling like you do. As was also mentioned in a reply here, I don't think some of the newbies to Eagle understand the water condition at Eagle and therefore, don't realize they're killing many of those C&R fish.

BITE_ME_II
08-08-2005, 07:17 AM
And that's why it is the resposibility of those of us that know the lake and work to make it better, to be informative regarding this situation and not judgemental.

BITE ME II
8) 8)

gonfishin
08-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Glad to see the importance of catch & keep getting some much needed air. I have another Axe to grind, that concerning those fisherman taking double limits EVERY DAY during their stays at Eagle Lake. You know who you are! I have watched this and seethed over the past couple seasons. ARROGANT GREED, just because the greedy bustards think nobody is taking notice. Be advised, if I see it again this season I will start calling CALTIP. Also, be advised that because of your greed you are STEALING from your fellow fishermen. I have observed day after day, the same fishermen carving a limit of filets in the morning at a certain cleaning station only to return with another full limit in the afternoon. Enough is enough. Stop being so Damn greedy or be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Mickey_Thomas
08-08-2005, 08:01 AM
That's a good point gonfishin, for your first post you don't hold back. I'd consider changeing your posting name though, we already have a GoneFishin and wouldn't want to be confused who's saying what, just my 2 cents, welcome to the boards.

BITE_ME_II
08-08-2005, 08:45 AM
GF I have seen the same thing, in some cases you may want to make sure they're not guides that are taking afternoon clients out, I have seen that often as well, I myself have done that, but I have also seen the others that you speak of, and they are obvious being the fact that very few people fish the afternoons on Eagle Lake, I have mentioned in passing ( did'nt you limit out this morning?) and the response is either no that wasn't me or I'm just going by the possesion limits, cause I did'nt catch my limit yesterday!!!! I've in the past tried to explain the true meaning of that law but in most cases was told don't worry about me young man I know the rules.

BITE ME II
8) 8)

troutfan
08-08-2005, 03:50 PM
GF I have seen the same thing, in some cases you may want to make sure they're not guides that are taking afternoon clients out, I have seen that often as well, I myself have done that, but I have also seen the others that you speak of, and they are obvious being the fact that very few people fish the afternoons on Eagle Lake, I have mentioned in passing ( did'nt you limit out this morning?) and the response is either no that wasn't me or I'm just going by the possesion limits, cause I did'nt catch my limit yesterday!!!! I've in the past tried to explain the true meaning of that law but in most cases was told don't worry about me young man I know the rules.

BITE ME II
8) 8)

It would be great if you get their numbers and call Caltip! Unless they are literally starving to death there is absoultely no excuse for this abhorrent behavior! >:(

bydesign
08-08-2005, 05:47 PM
I have been fishing Eagle for over 38yrs and have seen a great fishery go in the wrong direction. Many more fishermen, better boats, equipment etc. When I first started fishing Eagle, most boats were 12'cartops and most people din't venture far a way from shore and almost every one was chased back by the wind at 10am. There was far less fishing pressure, bigger fish (average 4+lbs)
There are going to need to be some changes if the fishery is going to survive the decline I have witnessed over the years.
In the last few years I see large groups of fishermen, clubs, etc. Taking several limits a day, keeping far more than 4 in possession.
I can't remember the last time I have seen a F&G Warden and have never had my licence checked.

Farrier_Frank
08-09-2005, 05:33 AM
Good topic PH, one that needs the type of discussion happening here.

My personal fishing history includes 12 years as a fly fisherman in the Colorado Rockies where C&R was expected if not mandatory. When I started fishing the lakes (trolling) in the Sierras I maintained the C&R philosophy. However, after reading many reports on the boards from people in the know (like Doc, Bite Me, and the piece posted by Troutfan) I changed my ways. I still won't keep a recent planter bow or brown, but I will keep a holdover ( a personal preference rather than ecological decision). When it comes to Kokanee: I use to release them all until I read enough on these boards to convince me how fragile they are when handled, and often swim away only to die later. That information, coupled with the understanding that kokanee can't reproduce in the lakes I fish and die at the age of three, caused me to keep kokanee without feeling guilty. I still release kokanee, but I release them at the side of the boat and never handle them. On a recent trip to Hell Hole (see story: KIDS, KOKANEE AND THE BUTTER ONION on the hitchhiker board) we kept 15, not counting the ones we ate at camp. The only rule I have is that each fish I bring home find it's way to the dinner plate.

IMO -- Mackinaw are another fish that need to be brought home, especially the big ones. In the lakes I fish for them (Hell Hole and UVR) their populations are huge. And, even if you are a serious Mack fisherman, I doubt you can remember many Mack fishing trips where you limited out. They are tough to fish for and I seriously doubt they can be fished out to the point of depletion.

As for taking over limits I have no tolerence for that AT ALL!

HSUSteelie
08-09-2005, 06:02 AM
I have also been fishing at Eagle Lake for several years, and I have noticed the decline in the average size, I know the drought had a lot to do with it, but people taking 2 limits, etc doesn't help at all.

Concerning Game Wardens, I have also never been checked by one at Eagle, but I have seen the Sheriff check people's licenses a few times, but not as often as they should be. I think most of us would rather see the presence of a Warden in the area and be checked every so often than not at all.

HSU Steelie

SuperDave
08-09-2005, 06:16 AM
Does anyone know why Eagle has always been a 2 fish limit lake? With the size of the lake and the stocking efforts, I've been curious why it isn't 5 fish like most other lakes.

SierraSkier
08-09-2005, 06:37 AM
Farrier, I was with ya all the way till you said keep the big macks. I get all worked up when I see people pulling macks out of Tahoe in the 10-20lb range. They aint trophies and they aint good table fair. I wonder what people do with them? I release all big macks and keep all of the small ones I catch (other people will eat them). Limits are very very easy here though. Am I thinking about this wrong?

SierraSkier
08-09-2005, 06:43 AM
Hinrid, its my understanding that Eagle went to a two fish limit when total dissolved solids really went up when water diversions and uncontrolled logging in the area dried up the inlet creeks much of the year. Our silviculturist at the Eagle Lake District of the Lassen had set a personal goal of getting a creek to flow into Eagle Lake year around.

BITE_ME_II
08-09-2005, 08:21 AM
The combined reasons stated above are the reasons for the limit being two fish, the law abiding people would still take the 3or5 they were alloted while others would take 10. And up until they added the improvements to Spalding it was also a non fee lake, again something rare in California anymore, what many of us land owners and frequent users feel is that the numbers that they have placed on these fish is correct, they have also talked about slot limits as they have in place at Pyramid, but with the voluntary c&k that would not work and open a large can of worms, which is something none of us are ready to deal with, If we allow to many politicians to get involved with Eagle Lake you would soon kiss her goodbye.

BITE ME II
8) 8)

Farrier_Frank
08-09-2005, 04:27 PM
SierrraSkier... Pertaining to my remarks about thinning out the Mack's: Maybe I wasn't clear enough that I was referring to Hell Hole and UVR where the pressure on Mack's is nil. I have never fished Tahoe but realize you face a different situation up there with the commercial fishing operations that, I'm sure, make an impact on the Mack population. As far as the flavor of Tahoe Mack's: it has been posted many times that Tahoe Mack's are not desirable table fare. Doc posted last winter that that was due to their diet? Whatever the reason, the Mack's out of Hell Hole and UVR are rather tasty, different, but tasty. Still, you can only eat so much of it so I have to admit I take a picture of many of the big ones and release them, too. Regardless, there would have to be a concerted effort by many fishermen to make a dent in the population of Mack's in the waters over here. And that isn't going to happen because not many fishermen target the Mack's here, and few are willing to spend the time and money it takes to learn how to target Mack's.

SierraSkier
08-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Seems like this whole thing boiled down to our learning about our local fisheries, and doing our best to make sure they are sustainable and enjoyable. Glad thats not the gov'ments job.

AllFishNoWork
08-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Good discussion in this thread. I'm glad to see issues like this addressed and discussed civilly on our board. Thanks guys.

C-hawk
08-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Where are UVR (? Valley Res.) and Hell Hole lakes?

You guys are fortunate to be able to make Eagle Lake a day trip. It is a real expidition for those of us who live in the Fresno area. I have about 10 friends who make the trip at least once a year.

AllFishNoWork
08-10-2005, 11:28 PM
They are both relatively close together, yet Hell Hole is a much farther drive. They are both pretty much due west of Tahoe, but well before Sacramento. Placerville or Auburn would be your nearest cities of reference.