PDA

View Full Version : North Fork American - Mickey?

jchurch
08-05-2005, 01:39 PM
I read on Mickey Thomas's page on the Crystal Basin that the Rubicon River and the North Fork of the American are five miles from Georgetown. I must have blown close by there a dozen times on my way to Stumpy Meadows without realizing the rivers were so close.

Mickey, how do you get access to the rivers? Sounds promising. Any other tips on fishing them welcome. I fish the lakes in Crytal Basin all the time but I'm looking to get out into the wild country.

Thanks,

Jim

johnbfishin
08-05-2005, 03:00 PM
jchurch, I don't think that's the NF. Best bet is to get National Forest maps, Tahoe and El Dorado or topo maps. Even if you get directions you would be wise to have a detailed map of the area.
I think the river Mickey talked about you can get to via volcanoville road, seems to me a 4x4 was in order as well.

As for the N.F., Yucca Bar trail access is from Dutch flat area. Hmmm, I seem to be having memory fade ;) ;D. Steven's trail from near Colfax and China camp trail near Blue Canyon.
Seriously, I wouldn't want to give bad directions so you'll have to do some research. Those canyons get freakin' hot!

jchurch
08-05-2005, 04:02 PM
I have NF maps for both El Dorado and Tahoe. I was just surprised as I had not notion the North Fork was so close to Georgetown.

Have you fished the river before? How was it? Not to be lightly undertaken, I understand, but I like to fish in the wild country at times. I get really sick of the planted lakes with the motorboats and crowds. Solitide!

Jim

johnbfishin
08-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Yup I've fished the river system quite a bit. I lived in Auburn for 20+ years and when I was young enough to take the punishment. There wasn't enough time to get any farther south than the M.F. though. ;)

Is it good fishing? Well there is bows and browns in all of the Americans. I've taken guys who have been skunked but I would say it's good fishing. ;D ;D

vito
08-07-2005, 10:45 AM
I went to Folsom Thursday morning with my 5 year old daughter. Just wanted to go hang out and let her swim, but I had to bring a pole. I haven't been up there in a long time and the water is still pretty high, so I thought we would go up and check out the Auburn Dam site. Travelled all the way up the North fork arm to where the river runs into the lake and found paradise. Crystal clear water, 2 waterfalls and a sandy beach. Swam and fished all day. Caught 2 10 inch rainbows on inflated crawlers. They looked very bright and fresh - I think they were natives. Let em go and enjoyed the day - weired to see that Auburn Dam though. Interesting how much work they did on it before they stopped.

fenton_chris
08-07-2005, 10:51 AM
im back from yosemite, ill post later about it. but are u sure about browns in the N.F? i've never caught one in there or ever seen one while swimming in it. and ive fish it from below soda springs area to the confluence. im sure there my be a few around the confluence. the americains are good fishing if u know how and want to work for your fish. just watch out for rattlers. and its always nice to jump in the river when u get hot. ;) oh and i saw a momma bear and cub a few weeks ago at iowa hill. 8) alos got 9 bows and 5 small mouths.

johnbfishin
08-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Yuppers, browns be in the N.F. 8)

Mickey_Thomas
08-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Heck I don't remember what I said but 5 miles from GT doesn't sound right. The MF is 5 miles from the end of my road and my road is 10 miles from GT ??? The Rubicon can be reached from Stumpy by driving past Stumpy and turning left on Eleven Pines Rd.(that's the road to Hell Hole) the river is 5 miles from that turn off. Hope this helps you jchurch, remember I'm old and forgetfull ;) ;D

jchurch
08-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks Mickey, that does help.

Jim