PDA

View Full Version : Alameda Creek

freddy45
07-21-2005, 11:34 PM
has anyone fished the Alameda Creek itself near Sunol??? Any info??

troutslayer
07-23-2005, 05:18 AM
It is now closed to fishing for restoration of steelhead I'm pretty sure.
Next best bet might be Putah creek.
Check the regs.
Hope this helps
peace
troutslayer 8)

freddy45
07-23-2005, 11:25 AM
aww that sucks! *thanks for the help...do you know when it will re-open? And how was fishing there when it was open??

huntman58
07-24-2005, 10:30 PM
fished it many years ago and it stunk. What I would like to know with all the inflable dams on the creek by the local water company the ACWD how can the steelhead even get up past mission blvd in Fremont any way ? I know they dam and use the creek for groundwater recharging all summer and fall tell the big rains come and then and only then do the drop the dams tell the flow slows down then up they go again . lived in the ara for 30 years and well got into it with the ACWD many times on many things

14_blast
07-25-2005, 05:21 AM
Freddy45, have you tried the Quarry?

freddy45
07-25-2005, 08:41 AM
^^are you talking about Quarry Lakes?? If so, yes I've been there twice

John_heyd
07-25-2005, 01:26 PM
I live in Fremont and while I never have fished the Creek because it literally stunk - smelled bad in days gone by - I have fished the Quarry - good fishing. I actually caught a 5 lbs. trout out of the Quarry using power bait. It is stocked on a regular basis so like many of the other Regional water parks - I feel the fishing is pretty good. It cost a few dollars to fish it however. There is a daily parking fee plus a fishing fee - just like Del Vel. Good facilities however.
8)

drift
07-25-2005, 09:09 PM
I fished Alameda Creek last summer, but not for trout. I ended up here in a search for carp on the fly rod. I caught a few 12 inch trout instead, as the carp were hard to get to bite. The trout were swimming around in plain sight in some of the deeper pools.

Wishnbfishn
07-26-2005, 08:34 AM
I grew up just a few blocks from Alameda Creek in Fremont, and I remember my Dad and Grandfather taking me there to fish in the 60's. It was good, but not great. I think it had already started it's decline, but we did catch some trout. My grandfather would tell of the "good old days" when that creek kicked out some large trout and had a substantial steelhead run every year. I saw old pictures of 10 to 15 lb. steelhead he caught there, probably in the 30's or 40's. Since that time, the creek has been nearly sterile, thanks to EBMUD and other entities who have installed dams, dumped chemicals, removed vegetation, etc.

There is a movement underway to restore that creek, which would be wonderful. They recently received some grants to clean it up, remove dams, etc. I am hopeful that in my lifetime it will be a legitimate fishery again, with steelhead, and possibly even salmon, runs like at the turn of the century. I live near Sacramento now, but would love to see the water that I played near often as a "youngun" restored to it's natural state. You can read more about the effort at www.alamedacreek.org.

Wishn

freddy45
07-26-2005, 09:36 AM
You know whats weird...I asked about the Alameda Creek, because on DFG's site it says they plant trout every other week April through Sept...many they havent updated their site if the place is closed down...or maybe it has reopened???

Wishnbfishn
07-26-2005, 10:08 AM
They very well could be planting there someplace, I just haven't kept track of it. You could call the clsest DFG office and ask them.

Wishn

huntman58
07-26-2005, 03:52 PM
I believe they plant up around Sonol. ;) Also the east bay mud doses not have any thing to do with the creek. really it is the entire Fremont water district called ACWD> (alameda county water district.)They use it for shipping water from Lake Delvale and for ground water recharging. They own the dams. It was good fishing back in the 60's but the old gravel pits were lots better ;D. At one time they also had trout in them. some still have big bass and blue gill with some cats thrown in. grew up less then a 1/2 mile from them and had a friend that grew up right on the shore of on pond :P. We had a dock and a boat we used there. Got may fish back in the late 70ís. I even cased an accident one time from walking home with a few big bass and blue gills . Those lakes are now closed off to all usage :( and the water district got them all by emanate domain and by flooding owners out like the roading grave operation >:(. But any way still good fishing there always found crawlers the best in them so tight line and enjoy :)

Wishnbfishn
07-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Sorry... my mistake about EBMUD... the other guys are the culprits!

Wishn

John_heyd
07-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Hunstman58 you must have moved away from Fremont a while ago becasue the gravel pits ,as you call them is now Quarry Lakes Regional Park and is fully opened to the public. It is treated the same as Pardee, Chaboe, Del Vel etc. Entrance fee for fishing and Parking. Lakes are stocked on a regular basis by DFG. Great fishing. You should come back and give them a try. I caught a 5 lb rainbow out of the lakes a while back. ;D

kpl
08-03-2005, 10:10 AM
I know that the DFG used to plant some Rainbows by the small park east of the Mission street bridge. They haven't for a few years though as far as I can tell. The creek used to show up here: http://www.ebparks.org/fish/angledge.htm and show plant info., but dropped off about 2 years ago.

kpl
08-03-2005, 10:42 AM
you guys got me curious so I read the reg's and I don't see that it's closed to fishing in any way.

jdogg
08-03-2005, 01:53 PM
i live 10min. away, most of it is closed. they closed it a couple of years ago when some kid drowned. there is a little section that is still open, but they don't stock it any more. The Alameda Creek Allience has documented on there web site that steelhead and salmon still try to run up the creek.

huntman58
08-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Hunstman58 you must have moved away from Fremont a while ago becasue the gravel pits ,as you call them is now Quarry Lakes Regional Park and is fully opened to the public. * It is treated the same as Pardee, Chaboe, Del Vel etc. * Entrance fee for fishing and Parking. *Lakes are stocked on a regular basis by DFG. *Great fishing. *You should come back and give them a try. *I caught a 5 lb rainbow out of the lakes a while back. * *;D
You are right I did move away some time back but have been back there every year since. The two ponds I know that are not are the Ford and Bunting ponds. On the later of the two is a two story home built in the 1800ís no real shore accesses at all. It is on the south side of the creek when you face north. They are only two of the ponds not open. There are a couple more that I know are not also. The whole park for that area has been in the works from the early 70's and was long over due. I know there are so good fish in the ponds. The water district dose not want the ponds above the fault line used for any thing but water recharge for the area. The ponds that are open like shin pond and the others are all above the fault line. we always found the best fishing using light lines and no weights at all and only a large night crawler for casting weight and bait so good luck and keep the lines tight (O ya my mom still lives less then one mile from my best pond and I check it out each time I am there for the good old days)

johnbfishin
08-03-2005, 03:23 PM
I fished that creek once about 10 years ago, I couldn't keep the shopping carts off the hook! ;D
Seriously, they were stocking it back then but after walking about 1/4 mile of the creek and seeing all the garbage and stuff people left behind I wrote it off and went home.

freddy45
08-03-2005, 07:46 PM
If you guys go to DFG's page (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishing/html/FishingGuide/FishingGuide.html) and click on: LINK TO GUIDE..it says they stock the creek with "Rainbows every other week, April through September." I called DFG to find out exactly which part of the creek is fishable and they gave me the number to the warden in charge of that area..so I gave him a call and let me tell you, this guy was very rude! I didn't care at all and just gave me the exact same information thats posted on DFG's site..when I asked him where you can fish from exactly he told me "I don't know, I'm in Napa." Very bad serivce.

RolandMartinJr.
08-05-2005, 11:36 AM
In 1994, when I was a kid I would fish shinn ponds in Fremont. Behind the large pond there is a creek/river that extended approximately 50 feet wide (I'm guessing that is the nile?). There was a large dam where we would see what we thought were giant trout stacked up. Now I realize those must have been steelhead. Did those fish just die and not reproduce? Once we crossed the bridge above the dam we would reach the alameda creek. There were tons of rainbows, biggest I saw around 5-6lbs. We would catch one every once in a while but we really didn't know what we were doing. I would see fly fisherman there catching some. There was a large swimming hole where the rainbows would stack up in. I'm thinking of heading over there one day. It's been a very long time and I'm curious if bows are still in there.

John_heyd
08-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Roland, I still live in Fremont and you are correct those Stealhead are still there once in a while but whoa to you if you try and catch them - they are protected - the Friends of Alameda Creek and the local Trout unlimited are working hard to get a fish ladder built to get those fish up to spoaning grounds. Beside, that "Nile" or Alameda Creek at that point, is off limits - closed to all entry. There is a Guard there all the time and he'll chase you out. Try fishing the ponds again - especially Quarry Lakes Regional park off of Issurewood Way - good fishing - it's stocked on a regular basis and it's got some really big fish in it. If you insist on fishing the Creek - you have to go up stream of the Mission Blvd. Bridge - hard to find parking since it's a no parking zone until you get up stream to the wayside just West of the Niles Canyon Bridge near the Sand Quarry.

Wise-Man
08-10-2005, 06:48 AM
I grew up close to Alameda creek and yes, there rainbows in there. I remember waiding up from the Mission Blvd bridge and catching one every once in a while. For the most part, 20 yrs ago the fishing wasn't too good and I'd expect that it wasn't too good now. The ponds are the best bet. Shinn pond used to be very good but I dunno know. Check out Munoz on Niles Blvd. the little deli store. They sell bait and beer and have a lot of pic of people w/ fish from the area. They can tell you thte best place to go.