PDA

View Full Version : UVR 8/4

ML_Placerville
08-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Took my neighbor and his two grandsons out today on my boat. Thought about going to Stumpy but based on Sierra Hillbilly's post on the Koke Board, decided to stick with a lake I know.

On the water by 7AM at Sunset. Trolled to the middle of the lake: nothing. Moved to the dam: nothing. Had the pleasure of finally meeting Farrier Frank and Oxbow, who noticed the stars on my boat. They also convinced me that I should buy a portable VHF radio, so we could have kept in touch on what was working during an overall slow day.

Finally moved over to what I believe is called Camino Cove, where the spillway is listed on the UVR map. Stayed in the deepest part of the channel and fished it for the next couple of hours as I began to mark fish. During this time, boated eight bows with another 3-4 lost at the boat. All were 12-15".

Oddly, I was mostly setup for kokes, but didn't get a koke bite all day. Hot setup was Father Murphy's lollipop bug (with corn) behind Seps watermelon dodger. Next was 1/2 crawler behind blue tiretrack dodger. All fish were caught at between 30-40 ft.

Needless to say, I was relieved to be able to put these two boys (10 & 12) on fish during what has been a pretty slow few weeks of fishing in the Crystal Basin Lakes. They and I had a great time today.

FishMischief
08-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Some days are definatly better than others at UVR. The recent trout plant seems to have provided for at least some planters while the Kokanee are being fickle.

dgerrits
08-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Sounds like a similar day as mine on 7/30. I had picked up a couple of kamikaze kokes the weekend prior. So I went to the warehouse and picked up some new koke lures which did me no good.

I was pleased when we found the trout in the cove. Glad they were still there for you and your friends. It's a lot of fun putting friends and especially the kids on to fish.

Sierra_hillbilly
08-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Sorry to hear about the koke bite. I think the bite is earlier in the morning before sunrise. I know the feeling when I was mack fishing in the winter when every one was landing macks I didn't catch a thing. It's pretty hit and miss right now.
S_h :-/

Oxbow
08-04-2005, 07:42 PM
Nice to see you on the water ML, glad to hear you got some bows for the kids. We ended up with 3 fat kokes on ice, 1 LDR and released a small one in the water to grow up for next year. All but the small one hit before the sun was on the water and the bite shut off for us when it did. Nice morning out there and a pleasure to fish with Farrier Frank and his son. We wrapped it up about 1100 hrs when it started getting hot.

ML_Placerville
08-04-2005, 07:52 PM
I would have been on the water earlier, but I thought it'd probably be too tough on the kids. After all, they are on vacation. The good news is that with all of the info from this site, I was able to put them on some fish that they were truly excited about catching. Overall, I was a little surprised that the bite was as good as it was from about 9-11AM. Thanks to all of the UVR posters!

Farrier_Frank
08-05-2005, 06:16 AM
That's interesting ML. We only caught kokes and never saw a bow. After talking to you we tried to find the spillway you talked about but gave up and went up to the pipes, but the water was so flat we gave up and fished our way back in the Sunset cove and called it quits.

I have the Uniden (Atlantis 250) VHF handheld that I bought from JohnB and it's a great asset to have on the boat when there are other Sniffers' on the water. I think Cabellas has them on sale for $99. Definitely worth buying

Sierra_hillbilly
08-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Frank how well do those radio's get out. Can you talk at places like pyramid and hear others lets say from the needles to the pyramid?

How about UVR If I was in the back of the lake at the power house could you hear me from Peavine launch?

onemore_pass
08-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Sierra_Hillbilly
I have a VHF in my boat and can talk to other people over on Ice House,when I'm on UVR.
In the fishing clubs I belong to we run CB's.With those when you get on one side of the pennisula of UVR it's hard to contact anyone on the other side.
VHF is also good if you get in trouble on the rivers.The Coast Guard monitors the radio.
It would be a great asset to any boat just for the saftey aspect.
Good Luck
Onemore_pass

ML_Placerville
08-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Frank, thanks for the suggestion on the VHF radio. I had been sort of hesitant to get a handheld, as I had heard that the reception was not great. On the other hand, I don't fish big lakes much, so a handheld may be fine. How have you found the Uniden on lakes like UVR and Loon?

dandeuce
08-05-2005, 12:11 PM
What channel do you sniffers use ? I've got a portable radio for any emergencys while fishing the bays or ocean which has never been used , might see some use now ! Going to UVR and Ice House this next week on vacation , maybe I'll see some of you then , I've got a 16" Lowe (green jon boat) with a 25 hp tiller steer Yamaha , no stars yet . Are newbies allowed stars ?

Tight lines , Dan

ITUKAWAL
08-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Hey Dan,

Typically VHF channel 69.

Get Fishstalker to send you those stars ASAP. You took the time to register and post - you earned your stars.

BTW - Welcome aboard.

The_Big_Sinus
08-06-2005, 10:39 AM
It's starting to get to be THAT time at UVR, meaning you don't have to troll to get the kokes... I use little 1/32 or 1/64 micro jigs in red/white and anchor up by the Jones Fork PH. It can be off the hook... So to speak.

ML_Placerville
08-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Big, I'll have to try that sometime. That's the first time I've heard of it. For me at least, trolling for kokes wasn't working this trip.

FishMischief
08-06-2005, 08:57 PM
I bought some jigs for that last year but never got to use them. Looking forward to trying that this year.

I have also heard people say they use buzz bombs as well.

fishguts
08-07-2005, 09:22 PM
It's starting to get to be THAT time at UVR, meaning you don't have to troll to get the kokes... *I use little 1/32 or 1/64 micro jigs in red/white and anchor up by the Jones Fork PH. *It can be off the hook... *So to speak.

Would jigs be the same as a crappie jig? Never jigged before for Kokes.
Joe P.

The_Big_Sinus
08-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Yes, like crappie jigs, exactly. Works pretty good because it's not too deep over by the Jones Fork PH. When it's worked for me, you can see literally dozens kokes in the water. You will also probably pick up the occasional rainbow, and orange and pearl tubes and mini-grubs worked just fine, too.