PDA

View Full Version : Another Day at Stumpy

luv2fsh
08-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Took my 5 year old daughter up to Stumpy today. Firts time she ever wanted to hold the pole herself. We anchored the boat back by Big Rock point and floated crawlers off the bottom. 10 minutes after being there she hooked into a fish and her pole started bending. The look on her face was priceless, she reeled for about15 seconds then passed me the pole. To my surprise it was a catfish, first one ever caught up there. After that the action stayed very steady for us. About every 10 to 15 minutes we had a fish on. We lost as many as we landed. We were on the water at 8:45 on off the water by 11:00. 4 trout, 1 catfish kept, 4 trout released, and one excited little girl (priceless). I keep meaning to take pictures, but keep forgetting my camera. :(

By the way the 4 rainbows caught were absolutely the prettiest rainbow I have ever pulled out of Stumpy. The coloring was true and vibrant, size was 14-17 inches, they faught like champs, and their meat was salmon pink when I cleaned them. 8)

I swore I would never go back to anchor fishing, until the past couple weeks when I have been chaperoning a bunch of kids and killing them the fish using this method. Especially when all the trollers were pretty much getting skunked. Maybe this needs to be the summer time heat way of fishing? ???

Troutcoach
08-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Sounds like a great day on the water. Last time I was at Stumpy...I was getting skunked trolling, so I switched to anchor fishing and absolutely killed 'em. Well done and I'm the little one got herself one!

MamaWentFishin
08-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Hey luv2fish...I may have seen you there. The family and I stopped there on the way back from Loon Lake to check out Stumpy and do a little bank fishing. I knew we wouldn't get much, but we had a ball throwing bits of nightcrawler to the small feeder fish at the edge of the water. I remember seeing a man will a little girl coming back in to the boat ramp. Glad to hear that you nailed the fish! :)

I think you're right about the anchor fishing. I sometimes do better fishing with my line at the bottom of the water rather than slow trolling in my float tube. Maybe I need to get an anchor for my float tube and just sit and relax... ;D

Mickey_Thomas
08-08-2005, 10:05 AM
NO need to anchor, If there's a breeze just set up out in front of the opening to the creek and drift a worm into the creek, when you get to shallow water start up the motor and go back and do it again, you can drift power bait too (I don't have any on my boat) ;D but the same kind of fishing that works on Amador works on Stumpy. With the warm water most fish are at least 45' deep, some deeper, lead core line has trouble getting that deep, if you're trolling with down riggers start at 45' and see what your fish finder tells you. Most of the time 50'-60' will catch fish ;)

AllFishNoWork
08-08-2005, 12:00 PM
To go that deep Mickey do you have to stay pretty much in the middle? or do the sides slope down pretty quickly?