PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger humming.STOP IT!

YANKEE_BROWN
08-02-2005, 04:50 PM
How do you get your downrigger cable from stoping that horrible,annoying humming,vibrating sound?I try using my downrigger but the noise drives me crazy after 10 minutes and i have to switch to my leadcore.

krzyfshrmn
08-02-2005, 05:21 PM
You'll get used to it, and it will start to put you to sleep ;D

JohnnieB
08-02-2005, 05:31 PM
I haven't tried it yet but I heard If you change the cable with a heavy spectra type line like power pro it helps 75%

Oxbow
08-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Hook a small piece of bungie cord between the cable and the boat or rigger with some tension on it.

blue_chrush
08-02-2005, 06:10 PM
spectra will cut most of the hum out, but it adds drag...
its wierd most fish don't seem to mind it.....
I suppose with all the other noise's in the water
like motors and such, thats the least of there worries..
if you think it makes a differance try dropping the baits
back futher...

Mickey_Thomas
08-02-2005, 07:43 PM
I listen to it and when it changes it means I have a fish on ;D ;D Actually I don't hear it much anymore except when the tone changes and it wakes me up ;D

GN.
08-02-2005, 07:47 PM
One of my fishing buddies put a tennis ball around the cable and his stoped singing to him. I have no idea why but mine doesn't sing. Maybe a change in the amount of weight might change it. Have you tried different weights?

FishMischief
08-02-2005, 08:52 PM
I was quite surprised the first time I heard it. I can't believe I never heard of it. No I am used to it and hardly notice it. Kinda like fishin music...

Vance Staplin
08-02-2005, 10:00 PM
Using the spectra line does work, I did it for a couple of years. But, you WILL lose weights, the spectra doesn't handle shock well.

Vance

fishguts
08-02-2005, 10:08 PM
According to Dick Pools' book "Downrigger Fishing Secrets", wire hum happens all the time and occurs due the the wire being pulled through the water. "A tight wire pulled through the wire vibrates the same way a telephone wire vibrates in the wind." His book suggests to try a different size weight such as switching from a 10 pound wt. to an 8 pound wt. etc. and changing the tension may solve the problem. And the bungee cord trick as already suggested in this thread. page 49-50.

AllFishNoWork
08-03-2005, 12:21 PM
The first time I heard it I was on Al's boat and it sounded like jet skis' were racing around us. I kept thinking who would be on a jet ski on Camamche in November :-/

Budman
08-03-2005, 12:43 PM
I listen to it and when it changes it means I have a fish on ;D ;D Actually I don't hear it much anymore except when the tone changes and it wakes me up ;D
Right on, Mickey. Between the Shallow Alarm keeping me going in the right direction and a change in the cable hum waking me up to a possible strike, one can get in some nap time...

OTDRSMN
08-03-2005, 01:35 PM
To fix the problem they sell corkballs the size of a racketball that has a plastic sleeve in the middle to run your downrigger wire through and above your clip. The corkball floats on top of the water and the wire presses against the plastic sleeve and eliminates about 80 - 90% of the wire humming! ;D

I bought mine at Wild Sports in Citrus Heights and love them! For a couple bucks a piece they're worth a try? They work great for me as I don't even notice any wire hum now! ;D

ODDIE
08-03-2005, 08:31 PM
;)I use foam rubber balls about the size of a baseball. I drill a 5/16's hole through them and use a piece of copper tubing about 1" shorter than the diameter of the rubber ball. Thread your downrigger cable through and reattach the terminal gear. The balls should float like the cork balls mentioned.

ODDIE

Vance Staplin
08-03-2005, 08:50 PM
I haven't tried it yet but I heard with Scotty Downriggers you can pull pressure against the cable with their new weight retriever cords and it will cut down the humm.

As for myself, I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other so the humm doesn't bother me.

Vance

P.s. The weight retrieve system is the only way to go with the longer boom downriggers.

fishguts
08-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Call me a sick puppy but I like the wire hum.
And yes it changes pitch when a fish hits the line or your ball hits bottom when you are napping.

stagger_lee
08-04-2005, 06:26 AM
After 34 years in construction, wackin' wood with a Skilsaw, my ears are half gone! I would enjoy the sound of the "HUM" :) ;)

metalmouth
08-04-2005, 06:29 AM
FishCrazed nailed it. I wish they were playin that tune right now. :'(

BITE_ME_II
08-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Any sound that reminds me I'm fishing is a wonderful sound!!

BITE ME II
8) 8)

ratss427
08-04-2005, 08:20 PM
from what i hear,downriggers hum because they don't know the words! :D

Sierra_hillbilly
08-05-2005, 06:50 AM
SLOW DOWN! Your humming will stop with a lighter wieght and a slower boat.
S_h

metalmouth
08-05-2005, 09:38 AM
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;D 8) ;D

troutfan
08-05-2005, 09:39 AM
LMAO!

BassFooler
08-05-2005, 11:11 AM
I dont care who you are, thats funny right there!

Troutdraggin
08-06-2005, 10:08 AM
At first I didn't like the sound or understand what was going on when I bought my Scotty Downriggers. But now, even though I'm loosing my hearing, I can hear them and I don't have to watch my rods as much when steering the boat. I can hear a change when a fish strikes too and come to depend on the sound as another fishing tool. It will wake me up and take notice when I hear a sudden change in the hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. :o

cheesehead
08-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Turn the radio up...helps with pings on the truck too!