PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Meadows Grayling!

SalmonKing
07-31-2005, 04:25 PM
I just read that there are graying in Jackson Meadows reservoir. Is this true? Also if there truely are grayling there how do you catch them. It's always been a dream of mine to catch such a beautiful fish, but I thought I'd have to travel to Alaska.

fishhawk101
07-31-2005, 05:04 PM
I can't help you with Jackson but there are Grayling in Meadow Lake in Pinedale WY. I thought I heard it was the only Grayling in the lower 48 and it's closer than Alaska! They are very easy catch but getting there is another story. You can drive to it but it is a very bad road!

drift
07-31-2005, 05:09 PM
* Is this the article you read?

http://www.fishsniffer.com/dbacher/101300grayling.html

If not, it has some more information for you.

SalmonKing
07-31-2005, 05:19 PM
That was a very informative and useful article, thanks for the input. Sounds like those grayling are a rare catch there, but a possibility. That lake will make a great future trip!

drstressor
07-31-2005, 05:49 PM
I think they are a myth. Grayling were never native to California and there is no record of them ever having been planted anywhere.

Until I see a picture of one of those "grayling" I'll remain a skeptic.

Patrol_21
07-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Try Lobdell lake off of Hwy 395 near Fales Hot Springs. They are there.

Patrol 21

drift
07-31-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm pretty sure the grayling have been gone in Lobdell Lake for some time now. They were replaced by Kamloops trout. Thats what I read anyway

SalmonKing
07-31-2005, 09:01 PM
What exactly is a Kamloop? I've heard of them, but am not quite sure what type of waters they preside in.

krzyfshrmn
07-31-2005, 09:13 PM
Kamloops are a strain of Rainbow Trout that I believe come from......ah crap I'm drawing a blank. I wanted to say British Columbia but that's not right. Getting forgetful in my old age. Doc will clue us in.

drstressor
07-31-2005, 09:30 PM
Krzy has it right. They evolved in lakes in the Kootenays with natural kokanee populations that they prey upon. Kamloops (or Gerrard strain) rainbows grow very large very fast if there is enough food available. They do poorly in lakes without kokanee, but the California hatchery folks seem to think that stocking Kamloops trout will impress people.

Here's a pdf for anyone interested in learning more about the various strains of BC rainbows:

Click here (http://www.gofishbc.com/assets/PDF/fish_science/Rainbow%20strains%20stocked%20in%20BC.pdf)

krzyfshrmn
07-31-2005, 09:33 PM
Guess I'm not that old "yet" ;D

Oxbow
07-31-2005, 10:22 PM
I'm inclined to agree with doc about the grayling in Jackson Meadows being a myth. I've lived in California more years than I like to admit and strangely enough I seem to remember another 1 or 2 reports in past years about about a grayling coming out of there. I wonder if this is a self pertuating rumor or what, it's sure a curiosity. :-/

SalmonKing
07-31-2005, 10:54 PM
Well I'll be heading up there in September and will sure fish my heart out for grayling. If I get one I'll post a picture as soon as possible. Do you guys know if they're attracted to the same things as trout? I'll do my research, but a tip or two would do nicely.

troutfan
08-01-2005, 01:53 AM
I think they are a myth. Grayling were never native to California and there is no record of them ever having been planted anywhere.

Nevada has a 15 ounce Artic Grayling listed as the record for the state. *It was caught at Desert Creek in 1978.
http://www.ndow.org/fish/trophy/nv_record_fish04.pdf ;)

nrvi
08-01-2005, 06:17 AM
There have been no grayling in Lobdell for about ten years. The ranchers drained the lake for irrigation and that was that. It was a kick in the tail to catch them nonstop on small flies when they were there even though they were mostly very small. It was worth the trip just to say we had done it.

jetfishn
08-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Yes, Lobdale lake has been essentially drained a few yrs ago, I am in that area every year and have seen the mess they created by draining it, I cannot believe F & G allowed that to happen. I doubt that area is accessible right now, probably snowed in still as it is at 10,000 ft elevation.

SalmonKing
08-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Is Lobdale located around Mono lake?

drstressor
08-01-2005, 07:49 AM
According to Behnke, graying were planted up until the late '70's in several other western states. I couldn't find anything on California, but they very well could have been stocked in high elevation lakes. However, the probability of a naturally sustaining populations is practically zilch. There is only one natural population in the lower 48 and that is in Montana. It is in big trouble as the result of climate change, etc. They also don't do well in competition with non-native trout. They have even established a captive brood stock at the Fish Technology Center in Bozeman. They were also in bad shape the last time I saw them.

Graying were only native to the upper Missouri drainage and a few streams in Michigan. The Michigan populations are now extinct.

Silver_Streak
08-01-2005, 10:51 AM
SalmonKing, I was up at Jackson Meadows in late June fishing for trout. If you've never been there before, it's a great place to camp and fish! Trout fishing there is usually very good using the typical techniques such as trolling etc. Let me know if you need some info/help on some better places on the lake to try. Tim ;D

SwimswithFishes
08-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Interesting. A few years ago a friend and I packed into Steelhead Lake in the Mammoth LakesDevil's Postpile area. If I recall correctly , the lake sits at around 10,000 feet. When we got to the lake, fish were hitting the surface everywhere. We caught no trout but caught fish on bare hooks with every cast. They sure looked like graying to me but as yu guys said, there is only one lake that has/had them in CA. Are there any other high altitude fish that lok like a grayling? They sure looked like salmonds to me but they had grayling fins. I am confused.

drstressor
08-01-2005, 11:34 AM
It's hard to mis-identify a male grayling because of the sail fin. They have much smaller mouths than trout.

Wow! They might still be in a few high lakes where there are no other fish.

ITUKAWAL
08-01-2005, 11:47 AM
It's hard to mis-identify a male grayling because of the sail fin. They have much smaller mouths than trout.

Wow! They might still be in a few high lakes where there are no other fish.

Which when I'm around Doc are most lakes.

I had the opportunity a few years ago to target Grayling up in Alaska. They are a beautiful and magnificent creature.

Jason
08-01-2005, 03:28 PM
I always heard rumor they had been planted in Medicine Lake years ago. There is a lake in Washington, Upper Granite Lake that has them.

dandeuce
08-03-2005, 12:42 PM
I second the Lobdell lake story , I deer hunt up there when I get lucky enough to draw a tag . Grayling , once there , but no longer . Can't really see F&G planting kamloops there as this lake is really not much more than a cow pond , don't think there is much there for them to feed on except insects.

Dan

THE_TROUTKING
08-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Up at Jackson Meadows there is a sign that says german brown trout,rainbows and graylings they did plant the lake at one time.Ive near herd of any caught but the lake is about 6000 feet and 360 feet deep around the dam the could be in there. ;D ;D ;D

Brian

SalmonKing
08-03-2005, 08:09 PM
What deer zone is Lobdal in X-9a or somewhere around X-12?

dandeuce
08-04-2005, 01:59 AM
Lobdell is in X-12 , east of Walker a few miles as the crow flies .

Nathan
08-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Thats too bad about Lobdell lake..I didn't know they had drained it.When I still lived In Cal. I got a chance too fish it about12 years ago...Those grayling were small,but sure were beautiful!!..Nathan

fishnmike2002
08-04-2005, 02:13 PM
Put me on the list of people who have visted Lobdell. It was a kick in the pants.

FishnMike

The_Big_Sinus
08-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Here are some pictures of grayling (not from my present trip- I take "real" pictures, as in, with film, and get digital copies when I get the film developed). Like Doc says, you shouldn't have trouble distinguishing them from anything else. The only fish in California (or even Alaska, for that matter) that is even close is whitefish...

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=505/4559Grayling-Buck-20in_AniakR-middle_8-04-med.jpg

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=505/4559Grayling-hen_AniakR_8-04-med.jpg

Top one's a buck, bottom one's a hen. The fish in the pictures are much larger than the ones in Montana, I would guess.

AllFishNoWork
08-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Looks kinda like Hollys' avatar

SalmonKing
08-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Nice Grayling. Where exactly did you catch them?

The_Big_Sinus
08-06-2005, 10:13 AM
The ones in the pictures came from about 35-45 miles up the Aniak R. from its confluence with the Kuskokwim. *I'm in Unalakleet right now... *There aren't any rainbows here *:'( , but the "Char" (Dolly Varden to most scientists, "trout" to the local Natives- who are, BTW, a dam* sight friendlier than the ones in the Interior) and the grayling are substaintially larger than the ones I caught on the Aniak.

Holly's avatar is a Grayling. They are fairly common up here, but you have to know where to get them. For example, they have no tolerance at all for brackish water. Also, they tend to get displaced from pods of running salmon (when the salmon run, every other fish follows groups of them, feeding off the eggs) by other more aggressive species, like dollies and rainbows (where they are present). So, if you find a pod of salmon, then you can kind of call your shots... If you want char, you can drift egg patterns right under the salmon. You'll hook a few salmon, but the char are aggressive and will get right up into the salmon. Rainbows, if they are in the river, tend to hang back behind the pods, and grayling will be well behind the pods. They don't seem to like the aggression at all...

The grayling also aren't necessarily interested in eggs, to boot. My cousin was killing them after we noticed that there were abundant sculpins in the shallows... Change your "bait", change your luck. Swapping an egg pattern out for an olive sculpin pattern meant he went from catching very few fish to catching fish on every cast.

blue_chrush
08-06-2005, 06:01 PM

doc....
there is a small lake in the shasta X-1 deer zone and
it has super cold water in it as it is fed by an underground flow and it is the only lake in ca. I have
ever seen artic grayling caught...
I will try to get the name of it..
whiie not very big, its fish are great....
and its set way back from any main roads....
I'll find it..