PDA

View Full Version : What Is This????

dogfish
07-08-2005, 09:05 AM
I was fishing lake Oriville last weekend and landed one of these. will someone please let me know what this is. It's got to be some kind of trout, but I have never seen one yet. Is there alot of these in Oriville because it sure put up a hell of a fight.
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/7646/wall31ob.png (http://www.imageshack.us)

Ikan_Mas
07-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Can't see your image. ???

By the by, I have a couple of fish I need to identify. They are not trout, ;) but they are trout forage species in Salt Springs Reservoir, up the Mokelumne. I have a Petersons guide, but minnows are in black and white. This could be a non-native species as well. These guys are 3-6 inches. Lots of them along the waters edge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/orangputeh/IMG_0015_2.jpg

The second fish is 12 inches long. I first thought it was a Hardhead or a Sacramento Blackfish, but doesn't look right.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/orangputeh/IMG_0021.jpg

AllFishNoWork
07-08-2005, 11:19 AM
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/7646/wall31ob.png

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/7646/wall31ob.png

Is this the pic you were trying to show. From that shot, I think it would be hard to identify.

khiameru
07-08-2005, 11:42 AM
I think the second pic is a squawfish Throw it up on the bank and let the coyotes have it

mike_d
07-08-2005, 12:10 PM
I was fishing lake Oriville last weekend and landed one of these. will someone please let me know what this is. It's got to be some kind of trout, but I have never seen one yet. Is there alot of these in Oriville because it sure put up a hell of a fight.
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/7646/wall31ob.png (http://www.imageshack.us)

Dude you caught a red x those things are all over Oriville. ;D ;D

As for the link you posted that picture looks a little like a Walleye, but I may be wrong. Considering you caught a 23lb bass I'm not suprised you pulled a Walleye out of Oriville. Aren't you dressed a little warm for Oriville in the summer?

dogfish
07-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks allfish for posting that pic. Mike_d you are right. I have a buddy who works for fish and game and he confirmed it was a walleye. He said there are a small population in the lake, I must of lucked out and went over a school. They are definately fun to catch. Are there any other lakes around that has a bigger population?

dogfish30
08-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Again I found another post by this jerk, and again I want you all to know it's not me. Please refer to Beardsley Spillway. DF30 *>:(

dogfish30
08-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Also, how can you log on as a guest? I thought you had to be registered. ??? DF30

SierraSkier
08-01-2005, 08:55 AM
Its time for the big erasor. DF30, we know its not you, as with the other MEMBERS on this board, you play by the rules.

AllFishNoWork
08-01-2005, 08:59 AM
Its time for the big erasor. *DF30, we know its not you, as with the other MEMBERS on this board, you play by the rules.

The "Big Eraser" has allready taken care of the issue, that is why the pwerson posts are logged in as a guest and not a member.

dogfish30
08-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Thanks ALLFISH, Now I think I'll put one of my first ever Eagle Lake trout in the smoker and go see if I can't pull one more striper out of the Stan. Thanks again, DF30 ;)

troutfan
08-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Its time for the big erasor. *DF30, we know its not you, as with the other MEMBERS on this board, you play by the rules.
DITTO DF30. This thread had a smell as soon as I read it and I knew it wasn't you. I did not realize that you could post as a guest either.

sneak1000
08-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Dogfish...

Comfirmation or not that there is a squawfish. As far as I know they eat up all the trout/salmon eggs and reak havok in our waterways. "toss those things on the bank and let the coyotes have them."

I dont wat to upset anyone but that is no Walleye.

Steve_M
08-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Guys you can not post as a guest.He was baned a month ago.

AllFishNoWork
08-01-2005, 12:12 PM
And as I remember Steve you were broken hearted to see him go ;) ;D ;D

Steve_M
08-01-2005, 12:23 PM
yep ;D

dandeuce
08-03-2005, 12:33 PM
The second fish does not look like the squawfish (Sacramento Pike ) I catch , the mouth is too small . They have a mouth that extends back to the eye or there abouts .

Dan

Duzwatido
08-03-2005, 01:15 PM
The second fish looks like what we were calling squawfish off of the Kings river. Ugly little suckers, we fed the coyotes that day.

BassFooler
08-03-2005, 03:58 PM
I have pulled a couple of the second fish out of the Sac down below Garcia Bend before-
so what is it? I'm reading squaw....not squaw...
I personally always thought it was a squawfish- but you know what they say about assumptions ::)

Ikan_Mas
08-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Here are some options on what the second larger golden fish could be. Note in your fish ID books that Squawfish have mouths that extend beyond the eye. This fish's mouth is very short and slightly downturned. Its not a sucker either. Could it be:

1. A large Golden Shiner (introduced from back east >:()?
2. A Hitch? (Book says Brown yellow scales above and silver on sides(?) Color seems right
3. A Hardhead (I caught one at Spaulding, seems it was more brown than golden -- A good nickname would be Gumboot Trout ;D)
4. Sacramento Blackfish (supposed to be a silver grey color)

I grew up in Oregon and I spent some time in eastern Washington before coming to this state. Northern Squawfish (now the Pikeminnow) are generally reviled up there as eaters of salmon and trout eggs and young. Part of the reason the Squawfish are so out of control up there, particulary in the Columbia River, is that much of the Columbia has been turned to slackwater by the dams. Habitat alteration giving one species a leg up on the others. We have similar problems here in CA.

However, I am curious if the native Squawfish and relatives here in California are or are not be the trout-eatin problem they are in the in the Northwest. As I understand it, all of our native fishes are in trouble, and some species, like the Clear Lake Splittail, have been virtually wiped out by habitat alteration and introduced species. Perhaps we shold show more respect to our coarse fish as they aren't doing too well. In any event, they provide good forage for trout.

The_Big_Sinus
08-04-2005, 12:46 AM
Hi Ikan,

I'm in AK right now, where there really are Grayling (Unalakleet R.). Biggest so far is a 19 1/2" by my cousin...

I can give you a positive ID on the two forage fish, and we shouldn't be liking it because they are both east side fish. My guess, because I know one of the species (first pic) is in Lower Blue, is that they are now in various high elevation areas of the Moke- they are likely "bait bucket" introductions there.

The first is a Lahontan Redside. Yeah, it's not red, but that's a redside. And the second is a Tui Chub. They are good forage for trout, but can be a nuisance, too. Depends. It would explain certain things about the size of fish in Salt Springs Res. Tui Chubs are the main forage item for the fish Paulina in OR, for example.

Anyway, thought I'd chime in in my limited time- it's still light, BTW, at 12:45 AK Daylight time.

Ikan_Mas
08-04-2005, 06:01 AM
Thanks for the positive ID Big Sinus. Catch some more of those Grayling for us and post them on the board if you can. It would be good for some of our members to see how different these fish really are.

Deltafisher
08-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Out here in SE ohio the rednec.... :-/ i mean locals would call the one feesh a chub,and are great bait for crappie,bass and cat feesh 8)

-----fisher

BassFooler
08-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Okay guys- now I'm left wondering even more...
The fish i have caught out of the Sacto (which I swear was the same fish in pic #2) came in at around 4 lbs...do tui chubs get to be this size?? :o
Any other ideas BigSinus? I guess I am now curious moreso about what I caught and not what the picture is!! LOL :-/

Ikan_Mas
08-04-2005, 06:43 PM
Peterson's field guide says Tui Chubs can get to b 17 3/4 inches long. :o Sacramento Blackfish (a type of Squawfish) get to 21 1/2 inches :P

The_Big_Sinus
08-04-2005, 08:25 PM
Doubtful that there are tui chub in the Delta... I'll bet that if you ever look at what you haul out of the Delta closely, you'll find there are some subtle differences. For example, compare very closely the profile of the head and "shoulders"- does what you are catching in the Delta have the same hump? What about fin color? Are the pectoral and pelvic fins the same color? Do they have the same number of spines? What about the fin shape?

It's hard to tell from the pic in this thread, but you can kind of make out that the lateral line is noticeably "decurved". Meaning that the lateral line doesn't run dtraight down the side of the body, but has a pronounced bend in it.

I'm guessing the fish you are catching in the Delta is either a splitail or blackfish. And that it has one, or more, fetures that differ from the fish in the picture.

Rusty_Hooks
08-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Not bad Sinus....chiming in all the way from Ak....couldn't stay away for that long....

I can't wait to see the results of the trip!! ;) ;D ;D

The_Big_Sinus
08-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Yeah, it turns out that Unalakleet, on the shores of the Bering Sea, is quite a bit more "civilized" in some ways than Aniak- opposite of what I thought. Downside of that is that the commercial silver salmon fishery is more exploited (in Aniak, there are permit allotments that go unfilled on a river that sees escapement in the 1 million fish range- that's just the silvers). However, the commercial season ends today, so my catch rate is about to see substantial improvement as the set nets come off the river mouth- not that you still can't get fish, but you do actually have to work for them a bit. Bonus is that since we're so close to the ocean, the fish are quite bright with tasty and firm flesh. I'm releasing for far fewer of them.

The char are also fresh out of the ocean. It's kind of a trip, I talked with a Village Elder (she's 82, her husband is 87- truly living relics from a time when the town wasn't even accessible by aircraft)- there are more humpies in the river this year than she can remember, period. But, the char, which are quite spunky guys going 18-20 inches on average, don't follow the humpies at all. They follow the silvers up. As far as I can tell, there are so many humpies in the spawning reaches that they actually displace every fish in the river where they are doing there thing. Also, there are still the occasional bright fish (chum and pink- all of the silvers are bright) entering the system late.

I'm at the mid-point, one more week...