PDA

View Full Version : Against All Odds - UVR 7/30

dgerrits
08-02-2005, 11:56 AM
My friend and I arrived at UVR around 7:30 AM. Started fishing across from the Sunset Launch ramp. No more than 15 minutes we had our first trout, average sized planter. Another 15 minutes later my friend boated a second fish, then nothing for about an hour.

We moved to the damn area and caught another trout. Talked to one fisherman who said they caught 8 Kokes. After another hour or so we decided to move back to across from the launch.

Still not much activity so I decide to go to the spill way. To my surprise all of the skiers and jet skiers were playing in the area. I guess it made sense since this was the calmest water. I figured we would make one loop and getty up out of there. Turns out we caught and released 7 fish in the high sun and high traffic area. We were fishing in 24 feet over 30 to 36 feet. The best spot was near the east bank which makes for a good turn around.

We were trolling dodgers (best color 50/50 brass/siver) with threaded mini crawlers at approximately 1.5 mph.

OTDRSMN
08-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Good report! Just shows that you need to be persistent and try different areas if they're not biting. I saw another thread that said the same thing about fishing picking up where the jet skiers and water skiers were? Maybe the jet skiers and water skiers aren't as bad for fishing as we think? ;)

fishguts
08-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Thinking outside the box is what gets results when everything else fails.

dgerrits
08-02-2005, 03:18 PM
You are giving me too much credit...

I was there the weekend prior and talked to some fisherman who told me a similar story (minus the pleasure crafts), afternoon bite fishing 24 feet in 30 feet near the spillway.

I found it kind of humerous that with the traffic and the heat of the day the fish were biting.

Since it is a little tight in the cove, the pleasure crafts can't make complete circles around you. They usually come into the cove, then exit not too much trouble.