PDA

View Full Version : Downrigger Question

ndiezel
08-01-2005, 06:53 AM
I heard it best to let about 60-70 ft. of line out before you clip on, then you drop your ball. That seems like a little too much to me. Any opinions would be appreciated. I'm going to Hell Home on Wed. and I want to be sure so I can get right on them! Thanks a lot!

troutfan
08-01-2005, 06:59 AM
I heard it best to let about 60-70 ft. of line out before you clip on, then you drop your ball. That seems like a little too much to me. *Any opinions would be appreciated. *I'm going to Hell Home on Wed. and I want to be sure so I can get right on them! *Thanks a lot!
It depends on the lake and the fish you are chasing. At Pyramid I don't let out much more than fifty feet before I attach the clip. At Eagle I let out 150' or more!

SierraSkier
08-01-2005, 07:42 AM
In Tahoe when I am going shallow, say to 100 feet deep, I let out 100 feet of line. Less if deeper, more if shallower. In Stampede I use ball flashers and let my bait out about 3 feet beyond the ball flashers. It just depends on lake clarity. I generally think more is better.

drstressor
08-01-2005, 07:55 AM
I generally think more is better

Except when you are using a black box or ball flashers. Then you don't want to use more than a 10 ft setback. As has been stated above, water clarity determines where you can get away with short setbacks. My rule of thumb is short setbacks at 25 ft or deeper (except at Donner, Tahoe, and other clear lakes where I shorten up only below 80 ft). At shallower depths I use ~100 ft.

Shorter setbacks mean less tangles.

BITE_ME_II
08-01-2005, 07:56 AM
If i'm fishing 25' deep or more I'll set back between 40-60 feet, this last trip to Eagle I was set back 45' and trolling at 25' deep others were trolling at 30-35 feet deep with 100-150 ft set back and did well also, When fishing Eagle I will always use a shorter set back , because I will fish the edge of the bait fisherman and it is easier to turn a fishes head away with the end result being less chance for my fish to wrap aroud 5 or 10 bobbers, It's worked well for years, and I have seen some angry bait guys on Eagle from trollers moving in to close, so anything to make it easier for all the better.

BITE ME II
8) 8)

BITE_ME_II
08-01-2005, 07:58 AM
We did it again Doc!!!!

drstressor
08-01-2005, 08:04 AM
Great minds I guess. ???

One of these days you need to pick up a black box and really shorten up.

Oooops! Did I say short? ;D ;D

BITE_ME_II
08-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Hey careful I resemble that remark!!! ;D

But do they work with hand crank downriggers ;D ;D

BITE ME II
8) 8)

gone fishin
08-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Glad to see you guys at it again... ;D ;D

I stack my lines a lot and its almost a must to go with shorter set backs as to not tangle up. I usually go 30-40 feet back on one side and 40-50 feet back on the other. Then I stagger the distance down around 10 - 15 feet.

Also let the bottom line out further than the top line because I found out if you hook a fish on the bottom line it Will tangle into the upper line if it is out farther. I usually keep the two lines 10 -15 feet apart out and down as well.

Good luck...

drstressor
08-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Black boxes work fine with any type of downrigger. The electric motor has nothing to do with the charge difference that sets up between the stainless steel wire and your zincs. That's just a property of the metals and any stray voltage leaks the boat might have.

notime
08-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Ok

As far as a black box goes: I my opinnion the are great. I have heard a lot of people that seem to think if you fish for browns and you go back 150 feet or more you don't need a black box because the electric charge you are putting though the cable has no effect on that long of a set back.

Well that may be true but I believe you need it if your boat is "hot" or "cold" reading. Think about this: your boat goes through schools of bait fish and schools of rainbows and that will make them all scatter if your boat has a charge of .7 or higher. Now if I am hammering an area for long periods of time, there won't be any bait fish around there therefore, there will be NO BROWNS! I wasn't sure about a black box until my friend Richie came up to me at a lake with a meter and my boat read .9 he was catching fish and I wasn't. I went home and put my box on and it made a world of difference. Just my opinnion but a very educated opinnion. Now as far as the E chip they are junk

Don
08-01-2005, 06:59 PM
What has to be figure is the separation you need between your boat and fish. If you are creating a lot of disturbence you will need a larger set back then if it were calm.
If you are marking fish at say 30'I would start a 50' set back.That is going to make around 80' total.I don't know if this is the right way,But if you are catching fish :-/
The thing is if you are scattering the fish when passing through you have to give them time to regroup. Separation between you and them
Don

Trout_Terminator
08-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Warming, Nublet coming into thread...
Well, what do you mean by pulling out 60-70' of line, then putting on a clip? sorry, its just I have never used a downrigger, and I am going to go get one this week. ;D

-Trout Terminator.

somebody
08-02-2005, 10:43 AM
lettimg your line and lure go back behind the boat. the clip is the line release hooked to your downrigger cable. if you let out 30feet line then lower it 100feet the line counter on your reel should read 130ft or there abouts