PDA

View Full Version : Hook to land Ratio

WishnIwasfishn
08-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Sniffers,

I have been an trout fisherman for the last 10 years. I typically get on the water between 30 and 40 days a year and spend 95% of my time trolling.

With all of this said, does skill or luck play a bigger part in getting fish to the boat? If you feel that the fish is large do you fight it differently?

Case in point, I went fishing July 5th and trolled plugs in 25-35 feet of water, over the 4 hours I fished, I had seven hook ups and got six to the boat with the biggest just under 6 pounds. Needless to say I was feeling like a true Fish Master.

Next time out, which was 7/31 I fished the same water same lure, same speed and same depth. I hooked up with an even 10 fish, but only got 5 to the boat. At one point I was 1 for 6. A couple of the fish seemed large as I they had 20-25 feet of line out and were straight down at the boat before the hook popped. The hooks were sharp, what else am I missing or have I done something to upset the fish gods.

WishN

troutfan
08-01-2005, 03:01 PM
It's the fish gods. *You need to sacrifice a chicken, a bucket of KFC is almost as good! ;D

Trout_Terminator
08-01-2005, 03:03 PM
lol, ask mickey, he should know what to do. ;D

BITE_ME_II
08-01-2005, 03:42 PM
I have found alot of that has to do with how agressive the fish are hitting on any given day. We as fisherman tend to get set in our ways on how we fight a fish adreneline rush and all, but when the fish aren't hitting the lure as hard from one day to the next, you really can't do much about it.

So in my opinion,! for what it's worth,! you may not be doing anything different from day to day but the fish most certainly are.

BITE ME II
8) 8)

drstressor
08-01-2005, 04:23 PM
I agree. Some days that just seem to bite light and don't get hooked very well. Trolling at a higher speed (if the fish will still hit) or setting he hook by goosing the throttle often helps. I also loosen the drag once the fish gets close to the boat. That seems to reduce loses close in.

fishguts
08-01-2005, 04:31 PM
Some days are like that when the hook just comes off. I have tried to reduce that by adding cheater hooks when allowed. It helps a great deal and have not lost a fish yet when there is one on the lure.

SuperDave
08-02-2005, 06:41 AM
Some days are like that when the hook just comes off. I have tried to reduce that by adding cheater hooks when allowed. It helps a great deal and have not lost a fish yet when there is one on the lure.

I like to fish grubs a lot and when the fish are hitting light, I'll add a trailer hook that hangs closer to the end of the tail. It seems when ever I do it, the fish start inhaling the lure.