PDA

View Full Version : Stumpy?

ML_Placerville
08-01-2005, 05:37 AM
As my usual summer lake, Loon, seems pretty tough right now, I thought I'd try Stumpy for the first time. I'll be coming from Placerville. My question is, am I better off going via Hwy. 50 and Ice House Road, then back west on Wentworth Springs - OR - should I go through Georgetown and then head to Stumpy directly? Also, just to confirm, there is no fee to day fish at Stumpy, right? Also, if anyone has fished Stumpy lately, I'd love to see a recent report.

I'm taking my neighbor and his two grandkids fishing in my boat on Thursday, so I want to go somewhere they'll be at least a bit of regular action. Also, wouldn't mind showing them the bald eagle. Thanks for any help you can provide!

ITUKAWAL
08-01-2005, 06:21 AM
Hey ML, I've spent the last couple of weekends at Stumpy and the action is a bit slow. The surface water temp is up and the fish are down. your best bet is down the middle and down deep 50, 60 and even 80 foot. Bank fishin' is dead, dead, dead.....

But you know, there could be zero fish in that lake and I'd love it just the same. Aspree and eagles in abundance this past weekend. Oh, personally, I'd go through G-town. Watch for CHP just outside G-Town 3 - 13 miles. FYI :o

ndiezel
08-01-2005, 06:44 AM
Be sure to bring a downrigger. fish are DEEP! Yeah, G-town is best. Last weekend I went w/ my brother and my son. While action was a bit slow, we all witnessed one of the most amazing sights ever. My brother landed a 12-14" and released it. As the fish was a little slow catching his bearings, he was still afloat app. 10 ft. off the back of the boat. All the sudden, we all here this "SWOOSH, SWOOSH...SPLASH" A bald eagle came and swooped up breakfast no further than ten ft. from our boat! My boy wanted to go swimming. He's only three years old. I couldn't risk it! I've heard story's of those things flying off with cats/small dogs!

ML_Placerville
08-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm a bit on the fence about going to Stumpy now or perhaps going to UVR. I know that lake pretty well, and if the fishing isn't great, I can pull the kids in an innertube later in the afternoon. Whatever I do, I'll post the results.

Mickey_Thomas
08-02-2005, 05:25 AM
If you do come to Stumpy use the Georgetown route, it will be faster and shorter. I crossed the dam yesterday on my way back from Hell Hole and the lake is still 3' from being full ;) Last year it was almost half empty this time of the year ??? There are still fish being caught, most are 40-50' deep. You can also catch a few top lining early in the morning till the sun hits the lake, then drop down. UVR is still holding a lot of water too, but the fishing is limited to Kok's early, Dennis and I were there last week, either way you can't go wrong. ;) I just checked the DFG site and it said Ice House, and Stumpy, and Hell Hole are scheduled for plants this week ;D that should help 8)

ML_Placerville
08-02-2005, 06:04 AM
Thanks, Mickey. You've convinced me to try Stumpy. I'm not sure how early I can get these boys up, and as I do have downriggers, going deep won't be too big of a problem.