PDA

View Full Version : Russian River

drift
07-28-2005, 10:34 PM
* I will be at the Russian River on sunday, and I have never been here, so I have no idea what the fishing is like. I will be with someone who just started fly fishing, and I was hoping I could get him into some fish. Are there any spots I could get to from the shore (I do not have a boat) that we could drift some flies through and maybe catch some suckers or smallmouths? Also, are there any tackle shops around that I could call to get some info on the fishing here? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

AllFishNoWork
07-29-2005, 05:32 AM
I really don't know anything period, but specifically about the Russian. I'd advise check the regs for any special rules.

fresnofshfan
07-29-2005, 08:35 AM
Me and a buddy fished a hole downriver from the iron bridge near the day use area near Gurneyville?? I hooked into a huge smallmouth on a storm swimbait and lost him about 5 feet infront of me. My buddie also caught what looked like a squaw fish. He kept saying its a shad . It was 14'' Slender silver color with a black stripe from head to tail.and had a big mouth. We had a blast the water is nice so we were fishing in the river the whole time.

randyfishing
07-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Hey drifter, I can help you out. *First the regs; no bait, artificial lures only. *Bait ok Nov 1 through March 31. *Barbless hook all year round and no hook over 1/2" wide tip to shank.

Mostly smallmouth this time of year. *Also plenty of sacramento squafish, *the long one with a big mouth is a good description. *They get as long as 16" or more and put up a good fight til you get them close then they give up. *I have seen big cats taken on rubber worms. *Big carp too, some like 3' long monsters, hard to catch. *I have used a kastmaster and caught every species except catfish with it.

Lately I have been fly fishing and my luck has improved tremendously. *Still the same old squawfish and small steelhead and smallmouth bass but at least I am catching now. *I will be targeting the bigger bass like the one described in your original post on Saturday evening in the pontoon boat above the Healdsburg dam with a fly rod.

Good luck and ask more questions if needed. ;)

PS for the fly fishing I have had good luck with caddisfly and mayfly patterns, the elk hair caddis or adams parachute have worked well. Will be trying the poppers and leach paterns for bass this weekend.

drift
07-29-2005, 02:49 PM
thanks for the info guys. Randyflyfishing, could you give me directions to the spot where you are catching all those fish? Thats a nice variety. Do you ever get any cats or carp on the fly? I would would love to get into some. Thanks

MankinD
07-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Drift, you can call Outdoor Pro Shop in Rohnert Park for s fishing report (707-588-8033) or Western Sport Shop in Santa Rosa. Happy hunting.

Doug

drift
07-29-2005, 06:46 PM
I forgot about Western Sport shop. I have never been to the one in Santa Rosa but the one in San Rafael is an awesome shop. I'll have stop by there on the way up to the river on Sunday.

MankinD
07-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Hey Randyfishing, you got stars on that pontoon craft? Been thinking of taking mine out to the river and trying my luck (lived on this river all my life and rarely fish it). Where do you put in, Memorial Beach or somewhere off Fitch Mtn. Rd.? Have you tried drifting the stretch from Geyserville bridge to Alexander Valley bridge? Used to be good for smallmouth.

Doug

randyfishing
08-01-2005, 08:45 AM
Hey mankind, or is it cactus jack?? Lessee, no stars yet, just look for the banana boat. I put in above the memorial park where the canoes are. Kinda a killjoy porting the boat up and down and parking and stuff, wore me out last weekend. Dunno if there is any access off of Fitch Mtn Road, kinda do not think so, private. Have not done a drift yet but it sounds like a blast. Monte Rio would be good and so would Johnson's Beach because you can drive down the boat ramps and there is some decent fishing there. Maybe vacation beach but I have not tried it, heard there is good bass fishing there. Ya'll can always check with King's Sporting Goods in Guerneville for pointers.

Always happy to help,

Randy