PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Lakes - Mono Cnty - 7-30

SierraSkier
07-31-2005, 02:05 AM
Virginia Lakes are just loaded up with trout right now and it seems to be a great time for catching. The water on top was about 65F and the trout were active. I was hoping to get into the brookies, but I was only able to get one. Caught about 20 planters on the day, a few nice ones. Everything worked; broken back rapalas, dodger and crawlers, spinners and kastmasters all caught fish. I caught the brookie at 40 feet on a kokanee spinner tipped with worm. Did that last year and hammered the brookies, not so much this time.

The flowers are going off!

troutfan
07-31-2005, 04:03 AM
Good report SS. I have to get up there! ;D

SalmonKing
07-31-2005, 04:28 PM
I Virgina lakes near Lundy lake?

troutfan
08-01-2005, 04:51 AM
It's closer to Bridgeport. The turn-off is a few miles south of Bridgeport at the top of Conway Summit. If you are going south from Bridgeport take a right at the Virginia Lakes road.

SierraSkier
08-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Troutfan, have you fished Lundy? I see it everytime I ski Va. Lakes, but never took the boat over. This weekend I saw about a dozen boats trolling....it seems like it should fish like Twin Lakes.

troutfan
08-01-2005, 08:32 AM
I haven't fished Lundy in fifteen years. We used to catch mostly fresh planters with a holdover now and again. I now try to avoid those waters in the summer that produce mostly freshly planted fish. 8)