PDA

View Full Version : dodger

fishinjunkie
07-31-2005, 09:20 AM
what is a dodger i know its something u troll. but is there different types and if so which ones work the best. thanks for any info.
fishinjunkie
p.s. im leaving in like two hours so i need help fast. i aslo posted this on kokanee board. hoping i might find out faster.

lazylab
07-31-2005, 10:08 AM
what are you fishin for ??? for trout i use a 4/0 dodger its 4" long 1&1/2 wide, colors endless. a dodger is a flat piece of metal bent at both ends opposing themselves and alot of the times stamped to help with lite reflection.

fishinjunkie
07-31-2005, 10:27 AM
i think i might fish for trout because are not as deep as kokes right now. i dont have a downrigger so i might have to use lead core line. how deep can lead core line go. thanks for info.
fishinjunkie

troutfan
07-31-2005, 10:36 AM
About five feet per color, depending on your speed.

fishinjunkie
07-31-2005, 10:42 AM
so what is the right speed, and what dodger and lure combo works the best. can u buy lead core line at places like walmart, and wich kind is the best. thanks alot.
* * * *fishinjunkie

SierraSkier
07-31-2005, 10:54 AM
A dodger will sink to about 15 feet with 100 feet of line out. Troll slow, I use a trolling motor and when my battery is very fresh I have to cut it off and on to get a very slow speed, usually .7-1.5 MPH, you can check speed with a GPS. You can play with speed, but make sure the dodger does not roll all of the way over. Depth depends on the lake. High elevation lakes are still cool, the lower you go, the deeper the fish. I was toplining a dodger this weekend at Va. Lakes which is at 10,000 feet. I usually troll a threaded nightcrawler, but also use needlefish, spinners and spoons as my bait. I use an 18 inch leader between the dodger and bait. Then really use the S-pattern when trolling and your dodger will move up and down the water column as you make your turns. I like watermellon Seps, but have a variety of makes and colors. Silver and bronze are the basics. Silver for clear lakes and bronze for lakes with some color. They are effective for smaller fish, but I did get a monster brown with a dodger this winter.

fishinjunkie
07-31-2005, 11:00 AM
now when u said dodger sinks 15 ft with ft of line out. is the leadcore line or regular line. thanks som much.
fishinjunkie
p.s. i will post results of fishing

SierraSkier
07-31-2005, 11:23 AM
I dont use leadcore. I use a portable downrigger when I am downrigging. I picked mine up for $70 and it hooks right to the side of my canoe. The mini downriggers are really great, but if you have a bigger boat they could be a pain to mount. I think max depth with a dodger is about 25 feet with almost 300 feet of line out. That is just perfect for Tahoe macks when the water is cold.

Have fun and just let the dodger out about 10 feet and check the action. Also play with the leader length. Outdoorsman uses 8 inch leaders with baits with no action, play with leader length for sure.