PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fished beardsley?

HOOF
07-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Hitting beardsley Sat and wondering how the fishin was.Will be using downriggers & leadcore...thanks

FishMischief
07-07-2005, 07:09 PM
There was another post from bankies. *They said they did well. *Haven't heard anything real lately about trolling. *Rats427 will know fer sher. *He will reply if he sees this. n I don't think he is going to Hellstock so he may yet see it.

Lqast time Rats427 replied it was good fishin. Probably within the last 2 weeks. Usually he says small rapalas (like 5's) or dodger worm combos.

ratss427
07-07-2005, 07:42 PM
yeah due to a family illness ,i had to miss hellstock.last year was great.and i am already looking to next years hellstock 3.a couple weeks back the fishing was red hot.mostly 12-16 inch bows.with a couple nice browns mixed in.like fishcrazed said rapalas ,kastmasters etc were the way to go.worm /flashers also caught fish.never had to use the riggers or leadcore.the fish were holding in 5 to 15 feet of water.tons of em.and don,t let the wind scare you off.at noon when the wind really picks up.we said"one more pass"12 passes later we went home with limits and released and lost another 20 or 30.the only real pattern we found was that they wanted you to change lures often.if they saw it for a pass or two,they didnt want it.change up and wham!firetigers,rainbow trout colored spoons,reds etc.anything colorful worked.like i said.we settled on 1/4 oz kastmasters because i have at least a dozen different colors.that along with the action made it the lure of the trip.good luck and let me know how you do......try fishing from the beach to the mouth of the inlet.just make circles. ;)

kubfish
07-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Did they make a road down to the river? Thats how long its been since I have been there. Used to be a hike from H.

Duzwatido
07-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Was there a couple weeks ago, fished afterbay and did well. Even fished the middle fork down from the after bay landed a few nice browns. People on the lake were doing well as usual. The wind was picking up everyday around 10 or so, get out early. Beautiful spot. Went to Donnell also, cool place not what I expected though. Drive a dirt road for almost an hour and saw more people there than at Beardsley.

HOOF
07-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks for all the input-will post sat night or sun morn of the results

HOOF
07-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Landed 7 nice fish-all over 2lbs..Trolled dodgers/homemaid wedding rings 15-20 ft deep.

ratss427
07-10-2005, 03:57 PM
nice fish guy.was it very crowded?have the jetskiers moved in yet?

HOOF
07-10-2005, 05:55 PM
there were 2 jetskiers and a few other boats-all in all it was not bad-I think the wind kept mostly everyone off the lake but between 5pm and 9pm the wind died and it was flat calm

Castaddict
07-13-2005, 07:57 PM
I fished it a couple of weeks ago and did very well. The guy I with brought his son and he seemed to have a blast. funny thing though...when we let the 12 year old drive, he sped up and turned really sharp to get us back to a school and tore all of our keepers off the stringer that was in the water. Oops! We saw a bald eagle grab a couple floaters but we couldn't find the rest. :-[
We trolled crawlers behund flashers. I switched over to a rebel jointed back in the trout pattern and nailed 7-8 fish. I had a good time.

Castaddict

Wishnbfishn
07-14-2005, 01:19 PM
How did you have your crawlers / flashers rigged? May be going to Beardsley for the first time next week with my kids, and sure would like them to catch something. How fast did you troll? Do you think an inflatable boat with an electric trolling motor would work??

Thanks!

Wishn

ratss427
07-14-2005, 03:51 PM
put a 1/2 oz keel weight infront of a set of flashers(i like the gold /silver half-fast ).or a 4/0 dodger also in gold/silver.use a leader about 12-18" to a # baithook.use only a small piece of crawler about an 1 1/4" and and your set.troll real slow(just when you can feel the blades turn)start at around 25 pulls and go deeper as needed.don't be afraid to topline if the worm bite is slow.you will get into some fish.not sure how big your boat is.but be careful with the wind.it picks up around 11:00 and quick.be safe and have fun. ;)

HOOF
07-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Try leadcore in that infaltible-3 colors for rainbows -6-8 for browns..Watch that wind!!! It can get bad up there

Wishnbfishn
07-14-2005, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys! I'm not a troller, so never used lead core or even know what "pulls" means. I guess I better learn in a hurry. Any tips?

Wishn

Wishnbfishn
07-14-2005, 11:32 PM
OH.. and my "boat" is just a 12 foot inflatable that I use for drifting the American, with a trolling motor. Safe enough for Beardsley you think?

Wishn

reddhedd
07-15-2005, 07:11 AM
It should be safe for Beardsley, but you will get blown around a lot. The wind doesn't seem to pick up until the late morning though. Since you have a trolling motor, I'd recommend checking out the afterbay also. Spinners and Kastmasters are usually a good lure down there. Just make sure they are barbless. That area is regulated.

Wishnbfishn
07-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Thanks, Reddhedd. Any particular colors / size of Kastmasters better than others? And what type of spinners would you recommend? Do you troll them in the afterbay, or cast and retrieve?

Thanks again.

wishn

Duzwatido
07-15-2005, 07:55 AM
1/4 oz gold kastmasters spanked them a few weeks ago. Saw a guy catching fish with crome-blue panther martin also. I have always had luck there with the kastmasters. Redd and I just fish the afterbay with much success. One tip is to get there on a Thurs or early Friday, there are limited campsites.

Wishnbfishn
07-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Sounds good. Thanks for the advice. I'm going in the middle of the week next week, so hopefully it should be somewhat quiet. I'm looking forward to it. Barbless in the Afterbay with single hooks, right? Do they make barbless Kastmasters, or do you pinch them down?? Use any weight with the Kastmasters?

Wishn

HOOF
07-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Pinch your barbs and do not add weight to your castmasters if you are casting them.I have had good luck w/all gold panther martins or gold blade/black body martins.Whats funny is I have a raft just like yours that I use for pincrest and spicer

ratss427
07-15-2005, 04:38 PM
don't forget your rapalas either in the afterbay. ;)all suggestions above are great as well.try early or late when the sun isnt beating on the water.just leave me a couple. ;D

Wishnbfishn
07-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Thanks to all of you for providing advice & suggestions for Beardsley, we had a very good trip 7/18 and 7/19, even though it was a little on the warm side We fished the lake near the dam with some success, but absolutely hammered them in the afterbay and even more so in the Stanislaus just below the afterbay. It was so good down there I never put my boat in the lake for some trolling action. Didn't need to. Just about everything worked, Kastmasters, beads, rapalas, Panther Martins... the rainbows and browns were very aggressive. This trip was in my top ten all time fishing outings. It was non-stop action, and the single hook, barbless, artificial only restriction in the afterbay and below actually made it more fun with the increased challenge. We kept 2 each / day to enjoy for dinner tonight, but C&R'd countless more. There is still tons of water, with a lot going over the spillway out of Beardsley. Can't wait to go again. Thank guys for the information. I hope I can return the favor someday.

Wishn

Flycanoe
07-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Very nice. I experienced the same thing 2 weeks ago on the middle fork of the Tuolumne. C&R 29 bows over the course of a week on barbless panther martins. What fun :)

You didn't miss out on anything by not trolling the lake as this heat wave seemed to really kill the bite. I trolled Beardsley on 7/16 and got skunked. Tried worms, grups, rapalas behind both flasher and dodger from 15-30ft to no avail. :(

Thought about giving up and trying the afterbay, but was determined to land a fish in my new boat. Disappointed now I didn't give that a try.

FishMischief
07-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Sounds liek a great trip, thx for the report!

ratss427
07-20-2005, 04:47 PM
great report.glad to hear that the afterbay is still producing well.glad you had a blast and thanks for following the regs.its important.and will keep the fishing at its current level.looks like i may be heading up there sooner than later. ;)

reddhedd
07-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Thanks to all of you for providing advice & suggestions for Beardsley, we had a very good trip 7/18 and 7/19, even though it was a little on the warm side We fished the lake near the dam with some success, but absolutely hammered them in the afterbay and even more so in the Stanislaus just below the afterbay. It was so good down there I never put my boat in the lake for some trolling action. Didn't need to. Just about everything worked, Kastmasters, beads, rapalas, Panther Martins... the rainbows and browns were very aggressive. This trip was in my top ten all time fishing outings. It was non-stop action, and the single hook, barbless, artificial only restriction in the afterbay and below actually made it more fun with the increased challenge. We kept 2 each / day to enjoy for dinner tonight, but C&R'd countless more. There is still tons of water, with a lot going over the spillway out of Beardsley. Can't wait to go again. Thank guys for the information. I hope I can return the favor someday.

Wishn

Shhhhh...you're letting the cat out of the bag! ;D I'm glad you had an eventful trip. I'm not a big fan of fishing large lakes. I'd much rather be on a small peaceful body of water like the afterbay. The Stanislaus below the afterbay is a great site to see also.

Wishnbfishn
07-27-2005, 01:08 PM
What's the latest from Beardsley? I'm itching to go back if the fisihing is still good.

Thanks.
Wishn

K3UG
07-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Fished worms under sliding bobbers today at Beardsley.

Two limits by 2pm .. bite started about noon.

All fish Rainbows around 12" ... a GREAT day fishing at Beardsley.

:D

johnbfishin
07-29-2005, 05:22 AM
You'll be safe till the wind picks up. Troll right from the launch up to the point and back, that's always a hot stretch for me. As was said, the wind picks up late am. so kinda plan accordingly ie start fishing to the west of the launch about mid morning so if the wind comes up fast it'll blow you back to the launch. There is a rock bluff down towards the dam, that has been a good area also.