PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice for Truckee River?

fishinfreak
07-20-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm going to a friends cabin the end of this month and wanted to fish the truckee river. I'm going to be minutes from downtown truckee and would appreciate any help or pointers, like what to use and where to fish. Thanks.

TroutBum01
07-20-2005, 07:44 PM
fishinfreak,
If you want to get into a lot of fish the best stretch is along hwy 89, I get 90% of my fish there on a number one mepps spinner with red and white tape. The browns smash these lures on the swing. The bigger fish are in the stretch along hwy 80, but these are mainly wild and should all be catch and release and you are better off fly fishing this section. Stop by mountain hardware in truckee and they will give you all the imformation you want, they are really helpful.
good luck!!!

fishinfreak
07-21-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the info TroutBum ;) I will definitely check out the hardware shop and see what they have to say. Although I have never tried it, I wanted to see if I could fish a fly with a water bobber ??? I've heard that it can be done.

jchurch
07-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Just a question. Where is best along the 89, close to Truckee? The highway is pretty long.

Cheers,

Jim

TroutBum01
07-25-2005, 10:16 AM
The best spots on highway 89 are usually around the campgrounds and any turnout from Truckee to Tahoe City, you will usually find good water and lots of fish at those areas.

mighty_bite
07-25-2005, 01:52 PM
The stretch of river on West River St.off 89 has good holes, Donner creek flows into it at first bridge, both are good ;)

fishinfreak
07-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Mighty Bite, I think I'm going to try that area on Sunday ;D My friends are dropping me off, so I'll be on foot, but at least I'll be fishing!! I found a web page that has some good info..http://www.stanford.edu/~yesavage/Truckee.html

mighty_bite
07-25-2005, 06:15 PM
Nice,there is food and phones at each end,good luck 8)

tbone89503
07-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Never fished that far up the river but I will give you a few pointers.Use small hooks,size 8, also use split shots but do not use alot of weight. Cast out and let the float down till it reaches shore.By the way I use nothing but worms!!!!!Never knew a trout that could't pass up a worm!! All you need is enough worm to cover hook!Always had good luck at Booth St,Mayberry Park and Verdi!!!
Good Luck!!!

fishinfreak
07-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll go up there with some spinners and I'll try to find some worms. I'll also ask some of the locals and get their input.

Oxbow
07-28-2005, 06:32 AM
If you want to target the larger browns, use some small crawdads. They are in the river and you might get lucky turning over a rock or two. Good Luck!

johnbfishin
07-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Fishnfreak, FYI...you just got advice from at least one local. I don't know 'bout the rest of these folks but TBone is local. ;)