PDA

View Full Version : Any Blue Lakes/Red Lake Reports?

Weez
07-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Anyone fished these Alpine County lakes lately? Looking for a current report- thanks.

khiameru
07-25-2005, 09:32 AM
That would be nice I am going there this weekend a if no reports by then I will post on my return. I would also like to know how the boat ramp is at upper blue and should I take the first turnoff or the second coming from silver. (which is smoother for puling the boat)I have not been there before so any info would be great. Does red lake have a campground?

badbobfishing33
07-25-2005, 09:43 AM
My buddie was at blue last week said the lakes are very full and the bite was decent.

badbobfishing33
07-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Hey Weez...really quick going to Tahoe and fallen leaf this Thursday-Sun was going to try fishing any quick tips where to go and what to use??

I saw your Tahoe mac commentsa few weeks ago but could use the update.

Thanks in advance....

B

Weez
07-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Badbob-

Tahoe- good east shore bite for smaller rainbows on topline- slow troll with dodgers/flashers and crawlers/minnows. Fallen Leaf basically the same for small cutthroat on same presentations. Bigger fish/deeper methods are also happening, but no quick answer to the quick question there.

Fished Upper Blue Lake today. Four hours, three people in my cartop boat with electric motor on a beautiful, low-wind morning. Over 20 bites- kept 8, released 6, lost a bunch. Mix of 10-12 inchers fresh from the hatchery and slightly larger holdover rainbows, topped by a 17-inch fat cutthroat trout, caught by an 11 year old kid.

Crawl-troll with nightcrawlers and a few special tricks.

Weez
07-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Dolphin-

Red has no campgrounds, and I know only one way into Blue Lakes, which is Blue Lakes Road off 88 in Hope Valley. There is a decent dirt launch that will work for smaller trailered boats about halfway up Upper Blue Lake.

tahoe_bob
07-26-2005, 05:29 AM
There is, technically speaking, another road that takes you into Upper Blue Lake which starts at the dam of Red Lake. But it's a 4WD road, defintely not suitable for a trailered boat of any kind, but it is very worthwhile scenic drive.

TB

BENDEM
07-27-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm not sure that the back pass to Upper Blue through Red Lake is open yet. There was still a ton of snow on it last week. Of course with the temps of late up there, I'm sure the snow could be melted off by now. Great drive, for sure!! Certainly not for trailered boats, motorhomes, or slammed rice burners though. ;D

Fish on!!
Wo

khiameru
07-27-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys for the info My recreation lakes of california book shows 2 unimproved camps at red. I'm guessin its wrong.

BENDEM
07-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Actually there ARE two undeveloped sites on the north side of the lake, on the point, but I never though that they would even be concidered. They're more like hunters camps. But I guess in our case they could be called fisherman camps. :D

There's a little dirt road off of 88 on the right side (going east) before you get to the Red Lake access road. If you follow that road out, it will take you to the point where there the campsites are. At least if these are the "undeveloped" camps they're taking about in the book. At any rate, you can camp there. Make sure you have a fire permit, just in case.

Fish on!!
Wo

khiameru
07-28-2005, 08:43 AM
We are headed up for four days hope to hit all 3 areas while were there if we don't get a spot at silver to camp 1 group left this morning to get a campsite if possible at silver if not we will sleep where we can.

lazylab
07-28-2005, 10:45 AM
dw probably see you on the road gonna hit spaulding am 8)

khiameru
07-28-2005, 11:55 AM
I think I'll miss you, Silver is the opposite way from the way your going. Good luck at the dead sea, at least you will be in the water before me.