PDA

View Full Version : boat ramp

lazylab
07-24-2005, 11:14 AM
went to pull the boat out of stumpy yesterday! and saw a little problem ??? a family in a white 150 decided to block in an older gent :( in his el camino nice truck 8) well i would have non of it and took the lake side of the ramp 8) we both pulled out and precieded to the handicap acces to make the boats road worthy. the one in the 150 started to complain and i let him know right away what he did was wrong 8) i may be a big guy at 6'2 260 and tattos but one of the most gentle person you have ever met 8) ;D is this the way we have to spend time at the ramps ??? or has somthing gone horribly wrong with us :'( i by the way had wife and 14 year old son in the car no harm 8)

Mickey_Thomas
07-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Jerks will always be jerks ::) that's why we don't all carry guns ;D

Troutcoach
07-24-2005, 05:06 PM
I had a problem at Stumpy before to. *Some idiots decided to have a long conversation with each other while blocking half the ramp. *There were about 5 boats waiting to get out, but these people were just oblivious. *I always seem to be the one to have to say something. *;D ;)

lazylab
07-24-2005, 05:45 PM
there always has to be a jackalope in the bunch ??? but if there is room at the ramp take it and please respect others 8) we blocked him in from parking to teach him a little lesson on patience ;D the other guy was from quinttet hope you see this and all is well.you are funny and hope to see you again my boy loves the el camino :) ;)

Don
07-24-2005, 05:58 PM
lazylab I have been there also.It makes no sencs to hold up a ramp.
Most of the time these people havn't a clue of what they are doing by holding up a ramp.
99% of the time it is just talking to your fellow fisherman while you are getting your boat ready for travel out of the way of others about the sucess they had or didn't have.To have someone take that away is wrong.To me I enjoy the ramp a lot of information is gained there and I have met some friends there that we have fished together sence
Like Mickey said there are jurks out there.I am sure this is not the first time and it wont be the last
Don

lazylab
07-24-2005, 06:10 PM
it wasnt that he had the ramp blocked or else i wouldnt have been able to pull in next to him and pull my boat out! the deal was he had a person blocked in example white 150 plus boat ready for launching in the same lane as said el camino is trying to pull out but cant unless he backs in farther and goes around ???so i went around why couldnt he >:(i know we all have had to deal with this but it seems to be coming more freqent ???

iwishtobe
07-24-2005, 06:48 PM
where i launched from on 2005-07-23, i will not be going back.

kids swimming NEAR the boat launch and/or AT my boat (while under power), will keep me and my money, away.

johnbfishin
07-24-2005, 08:07 PM
It can go both ways. I once backed down a ramp to get my boat centering the ramp as the previous rig did. It took me all of three mintutes to trailer and pull out but a guy waiting for me made an issue of there being room for two rigs and was willing to make a fight of it. He was right, there was room for two but it was tight. So who's the jerk?
I usually look at ramp congestion as part of boating, but there is a time and place for BS'n. It comes down to ebb & flow, blocking folks in and not paying attention to whats going on doesn't help matters. :)

kubfish
07-24-2005, 10:04 PM
To many aholes around here.

I let people launch ahead of me most of the time. Just to be polite since its me and my boys and I do all the work.

If I was in that same situation I am sure I would mouth off in some way.

Of course I think the stars on my boat keep me quiet well sometimes that is. I hate rude people, we are all trying to enjoy the outdoors it just sucks when someone thinks they own the outdoors...

Benfishing
07-25-2005, 07:44 AM
Let experience be your guide. People that hold up a ramp don't know what their doing-obviously you do. Smile at the jerks and make them feel guilty for their inappropiate actions. Some are so excited about launching they forget that others exist. Especially newbies.
There are no books,guides,rules,or classes on ramp etiquette to govern the stupid. I personally, don't like to get excited enough to confront anyone at the ramp because if I do I'll be pissed all day and that kinda takes the starch outta what I'm there for to begin with.
Just my take..

Jason
07-25-2005, 08:48 AM
To me a launch ramp is where you drop off and pick up quick, But it seems to me anymore these are places for people to swim, fish off the pier, or do what ever. Last week at UVR there was kids and a dog swimming at the launch as I'm pulling my boat in. Don't their parents have no sense of what could happen. I've pulled in at Negro Bar and been given looks, like what are you doing here.

FishMischief
07-25-2005, 09:02 AM
I do have to say that last night at the UVR boat ramp was a zoo of people coming in and out. Everyone was curtios. I was offered 2 times to slip in. The wind was still up and I passed on both offers. People were in and out quick even the ones with little experience did ok because they werent rushed and made to feel nervous.

Mickey_Thomas
07-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Well this year at Stumpy is a little different, with the lake so full there isn't much "beach" area for the little kids to swim. In any case although there are signs posted for " NO SWIMMING ON THE BOAT LAUNCH" I figure they want to cool off as much as I want to launch the boat. Last week I just walked down the ramp and told all the parents to help watch for me backing down and had no trouble at all. Being a little polite can go a long way, if I had shouted that they shouldn't be swimming in the launch area I would have been the jerk ??? Don't be that guy ;)

MadCanoe
07-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Jason. The same Nergo Bar that the State misspelled at Nimbus? <snerker (sp)> -=Cy P.S. I think it's late enough to go today... think I will...-/+

willbilly
07-25-2005, 02:35 PM
;D Still the same today 25th.
Mothers and family's think air" anything that floats" and the pic-nic gear is OK to drop off @ the ramp.SO whats the diff than flot tubed and float boats?

Hay the Kid's love it. " the ramp" when Mom & Pop drop them off... ;D Makes me smile ( Mostly )

we need to help the newbee's "I was one" and the public learn. ??? ;)
It has been a bad year for speed wake over doo also, Wet Dog reminded me yesterday, it is 5 MPG not 10 MPG as I remembered.

OBTW fishing was slow this AM 8-to noon two planter size with worms& apex and none on AC plugs.

The birds were extra special with COOL air showes.

lazylab
07-25-2005, 04:45 PM
it is never about raising ones voice or making hastyel gestuers :) i let him know comely what was done wrong and left it at that :D i had wife and son in the car and did not want to make a big argument out of it in case the person would fly of the handle!but at the end on the way home i was a better man 8)new friend,the look on the wifes face and better yet my boys for not pushing the issue at the ramp any farther that day 8)best luck to all we still have many more months of newbies left ;) ??? ::)

TCtrout
07-25-2005, 07:43 PM
You are the better man for being calm,and gentleman do the right thing by letting the stupid people or rude people know they are in the wrong. If we are all gentleman we will all have a good time, all the time, hopefully fishing.
Great job at being the bigger person and gentleman lazylab
TCtrout

tdekens
07-25-2005, 08:54 PM
IDEA ;D
How about as a group we come up with a design for a little sign that they can put by each ramp. It can say at the top like boating etiquette or launching tips just something nonoffensive. List them one by one just giving tips. Officially bring it forward to all the different agencies, State, County, City, DFG, etc. Ask them to have the signs made and placed at each of their launching facilities they run. 1. Please have your boat ready to launch before proceeding down ramp. 2. Have patience with fellow launchers. 3. etc etc. Some lakes I was at would have a rep at the ramp during peak times. They would let the trailers to the head of the line who were bringing boats out. That was cool. Just my 2 cents.
2Shakes ;D ;D 8)

CHICKFISHING58
07-26-2005, 04:52 PM
I just wait till the ramp is clear ;D thank god I havenít came across anybody swimming by the ramp I think I would be like Mickey except I would of said something like this hey look Iím new and Iím famous for throwing kids off the dock ;D :o ;) :-*

troutfan
07-26-2005, 05:29 PM
The ramp at Pelican on Pyramid lake is where I have seen several near altercations. *Some selfish people think that just because they drop someone off even though they are not next in line they can immediately back their trailer down the ramp blocking the person who is next in line. *These people are completely arrogant and rude and don't really give a crap what you or I think. *Just last year, I went out there fishing with a friend of mine. *When we pulled up to the dock there were four boats ahead of us. *We were wating for our turn behind these two elderly gents. *When these two mullet heads pulled up to the dock dropped a guy off who ran up and drove his pickup straight down the dock. *Well they had these two gents blocked off and they yelled that the old guys should move their boat. *The old guys were intimdated and my friend and I jumped into the discussion which turned into a shouting match. *These dolts did not want to understand that they had cut the front of the line and they are the ones who should get out of the way. *Luckily these two Neanderthals were too drunk and decided not to pursue a confrontation. *The point is that if we had not intervened they would have bullied their way in front of the older guys. *There should be a bag limit on these kind of arrogant mouth breathers. *If we all show a little bit of patience and courtesy we all have a good time!
I have run across the "drop-off" at Pyramid more than any other lake and I am amazed that we haven't read about an incident in the paper as of yet! >:(

Kentnv
07-26-2005, 05:31 PM
I think sitting at the ramp watching people is one of the greatest shows on earth. I've seen coolers roll out of the backs of trucks, people screaming at each other. Even once saw a guy in such a hurry to get back up the ramp that he slammed into the back of a new Duckworth boat. The driver of the boat was a pretty small guy, and the other guy was launching his ski boat and had a HUGE attitude. I thought things were going to get ugly, when the passenger from the Duckworth boat truck, got out. I'm 6'3" and 2much. I was scared of this monster. He got out and calmly told the guy to get in his truck and they would talk about at the parking area....The kid with an attitude, just turned around and the big guy got in his truck with him to make sure he 'found his way to the parking lot'....I would bet lots of money that the boat was totaled. Transom bent up good and the motor in two.

I just let the idiots go first and watch the fun....

lazylab
07-26-2005, 06:51 PM
8)funny is wathching a guy in a brown camaro at rollins trying to dump a seadoo and talk on the cell at the same time ??? 8) :P the latter end floated up on him and he started screaming for help ;D but the funny thing was the cell never left his ear :o ;D :P

Mickey_Thomas
07-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Holly better get out her "stupid" stamp ;D it's only going to get worst, I do like the sign idea but it should be "rules for using launch ramps" sign...