PDA

View Full Version : Upper Sacramento River (Castle Crag area?)

UCDFisher
07-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Hello everyone!

First time user here, longtime fisherman. Seems as though this forum has an excellent cast of knowledgable people with whom I can share some good fishing knowledge. Unfortunately, my experiences fishing certain parts of California are somewhat limited. Needless to say, I've been invited on a camping trip in mid-August to the Castle Crags area up along the upper Sacramento River. I have some general knowledge of the area, and from what I can gather many have said that the area is prime trout fishing. Having read a few reviews and reports of the river I came across this map http://www.troutsource.com/RiversFolder/UpperSac%20Maps.htm.
I'm wonderring though how the fishing is right now along this stretch and or which is the most accessible or more productive regions? I'll mainly be bank fishing or wading using either a flyrod or spincasting with some spoons and jigs. I have about 5 days up there and I don't mind long strenuous or adventurous hikes.

Kentnv
07-26-2005, 10:28 AM
UCDFisher,

The upper Sac is a great stretch. A couple of areas to hit for sure would be Sweetbriar and the Sims area. There's great wading and would recommend it even if you're spin fishing it. Can't get to all the good spots from the bank. There's still good access, but still a few 'prime' areas you need to wade.

As for the spin fishing, black roostertails, panther martins, superdupers, and some other "old school" metal. If you're feeling like fly's, then get to Dunsmuir and talk with the guys in Ted Fay's flyshop. They are great and will give you the skinny on all that area. lots of pocket water fishing with some nice hatches late in the day. When we fly fish it, we use dropper set ups. Ask for the Black Bomber flies. They know what you're talking about. Really simple nymph pattern that works.

The only thing I would say is a absolute would be a wading staff. Thsoe rocks are probably starting to moss up and getting really slick. Plus, there are some deep spots that may get your blood pumping. The water is great, so no need for the waders.

Have fun. It's a beautiful area.

PianoFish
07-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Welcome :) I'm sure you will find this to be the best place to find & share info that there is. As to the upper sac. I have fished there many times over the years the best thing I can tell you is check the regs. this area has many differant types of limits & c&r spots, all the gear you mentioned is fine you should be using barbless hooks in most places. I have fished in spots that there was a 5 fish limit using anything but I was drifting into a c&r area and didn't know. The upper Sac is a great place just make sure you know where you are at all times, there is great fishing right under the 5 bridge in Dunsmier don't pass it up just because its in town.

Good Luck
PianoFish

UCDFisher
07-26-2005, 02:35 PM
Well thanks for the great info. ;D I think I'll defenitely have fun. Thanks for the heads-up on the regs. I'll defenitely look at those, but I'm not too worried since I will be C&Ring anything I get.

A.S.4
07-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Stop by the Ted Fay fly shop in Dunsmuir. They are always very helpful as to what's working and where to fish.